Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #1

Unit Stolen

Hey all, just thought I would throw this out there. I tried to search it first but came up with nada. We recently had our Freedom Express 292 BHDS stolen and at this point, has not been recovered. Since the police are not actively looking for it or don't even care, I am wondering if anyone uses a GPS Tracking system in their unit? If so, what brand? Monthly cost?
DMcGruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
Hey all, just thought I would throw this out there. I tried to search it first but came up with nada. We recently had our Freedom Express 292 BHDS stolen and at this point, has not been recovered. Since the police are not actively looking for it or don't even care, I am wondering if anyone uses a GPS Tracking system in their unit? If so, what brand? Monthly cost?
No ~~ if it goes hope it is never found. Maybe it will be hauled to a location and used for a get away but most likely a meth lab. You do not want it back in either case. Get your insurance check asap and go shopping.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #3

oh there is no way I want it back, Insurance date is sept 5th. full replacement cost coverage and 10K in contents. I will be protecting the next trailer though since I cant even trust the RV lot it was being serviced at.
DMcGruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #4

I'm sorry for your loss and wish I had your luck.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
oh there is no way I want it back, Insurance date is sept 5th. full replacement cost coverage and 10K in contents. I will be protecting the next trailer though since I cant even trust the RV lot it was being serviced at.
Never for me. If they can take I just want them to take it far so it is never found. Mine is kept in a fenced storage lot with plenty of cameras and a locked gate. I prefer to keep it but if it disappears for more than an hour I never want to see it again.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

I have been reading more and more about rvs being stolen while in for repairs. Beginning to wonder if they could be "inside" jobs. Dealership has no liability, rv gets stolen and thief receives GREAT bounty while the rv owner has to go against his own insurance to recover from the loss. Then ulimately having to deal with higher future insurance costs for the innocent rv owner (and ultimately all of us). And your rv is probably out boondocking and being trashed or used as a traveling brothel or meth lab or who knows what. Hope you get your new rv soon. And never trust that repair facility again.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #7

Were in Canada you located?

Maybe we can keep an eye out for it
Old 08-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

Try googling "LoJack". This is a type of stolen equipment recovery device. It is used on cars, trucks, construction equipment, etc.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

We purchased a "Tile" a few weeks ago and placed it in our rig. If necessary, I can use the app on my cell phone to search for it. A set of four "Tile" cost me $80 Cdn at Staples. No monthly fees and I can replace it every year for a reduced cost when the battery is on its way out.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

Unit Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
We purchased a "Tile" a few weeks ago and placed it in our rig. If necessary, I can use the app on my cell phone to search for it. A set of four "Tile" cost me $80 Cdn at Staples. No monthly fees and I can replace it every year for a reduced cost when the battery is on its way out.

Would a tile really be a good tracker? I was under the impression it connects by Bluetooth to your phone. Great for locating your keys or some other object close to you. You need to be within a very close range to locate it. I know if you report the item stolen and if your RV happens to be near another person with a tile a notification will be sent to you via E-mail to tell you that. But not sure if that will be much help if the trl is moving.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #11

Guess it depends upon where you are. More urban areas will probably have a higher chance of another Tile user in the vicinity. It will also indicate the location of where it was last pinged, giving some indication of direction and time. Not ideal I know but for only a few bucks it was peace of mind and helped the insurance company reduce my premium because I'd taken the initiative.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

Unit Stolen

Quote:
Guess it depends upon where you are. More urban areas will probably have a higher chance of another Tile user in the vicinity. It will also indicate the location of where it was last pinged, giving some indication of direction and time. Not ideal I know but for only a few bucks it was peace of mind and helped the insurance company reduce my premium because I'd taken the initiative.

True about populated areas and I think as they become more well known you will see more of them. I also really like the idea of an insurance discount. This might be worth pursuing.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Tile will only work if someone with the Tile app installed on their phone gets within bluetooth distance.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #14

I to had a camper stolen so on our new one I hit the Spot Trace tracking system bought it at Bass Pro for $70 an it $10 a month for service. Love the Spot Trace. Check it out.

Sent from a galaxy far far away
Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper911ed View Post
I to had a camper stolen so on our new one I hit the Spot Trace tracking system bought it at Bass Pro for $70 an it $10 a month for service. Love the Spot Trace. Check it out.

Sent from a galaxy far far away
If they take mine I don't want it back. Pulled off road? Damaged what/where? Made into a meth lab? Mine is in a fenced storage area, gated, cameras ~~ more than that and they can have it, I'll get a new one and be happy.