Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Upgrade imminent

Greetings...

My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our 2002 Rockwood 1640LTD popup to a small TT very soon. We've got a deposit down on a 2013 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ and have a week to decide upon it.

Questions:
1. I have a 97 Silverado as the tow vehicle (probably 1/2 ton). I've been pulling the popup with no problems for years. The dealer is throwing in a "sway bar" but I'm not sure if this is just the sway bar or the weight distribution system. Do I need the weight distribution system? What would be the difference in pull?
2. Does the 17FQ have electric brakes, and should I invest in them if not?
3. Is there any reason for us NOT to buy this make/model? Any glaring issues we may not be aware of?
4. Would a 2013 Coachmen camper still be covered under any manufacturer's warranties?

I know these are random questions, but we're looking to make a major change in our camping adventures by going this route. Our little popup has been great for the last 12 years, and we're looking for something that must continue the trend.

Thanks to all!
--Gray
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RGD View Post
Greetings...

My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our 2002 Rockwood 1640LTD popup to a small TT very soon. We've got a deposit down on a 2013 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ and have a week to decide upon it.

Questions:
1. I have a 97 Silverado as the tow vehicle (probably 1/2 ton). I've been pulling the popup with no problems for years. The dealer is throwing in a "sway bar" but I'm not sure if this is just the sway bar or the weight distribution system. Do I need the weight distribution system? What would be the difference in pull?
What he will throw in is a friction based anti-sway bar. they are functional, but crude. Given the GVWR of 3500 pounds for that unit, WD hitch is not necessary, but keep mind EVERY trailer will pull better with a WD hitch. Theoretical tongue weight will probably not ever be more than 500 pounds, and will clearly be in the limits of your truck. I would advise you pull it as is and see what you think, then consider an upgrade to a light WD system in the future. The dealer will not throw in a good WD system and often you can get better prices down the road.
2. Does the 17FQ have electric brakes, and should I invest in them if not?Coachmen's website says yes, it does electric brakes. Make sure you have a good electric brake controller.
3. Is there any reason for us NOT to buy this make/model? Any glaring issues we may not be aware of?none that I know of.
4. Would a 2013 Coachmen camper still be covered under any manufacturer's warranties?is this a used unit? then the answer is an emphatic NO. The original manufacturer warranty DOES NOT transfer. This is true for all Forrest River products. There is little incentive to look at a recent vintage used trailer unless it either comes with a third party warranty or is significantly less (say 40-50%) than new.

I know these are random questions, but we're looking to make a major change in our camping adventures by going this route. Our little popup has been great for the last 12 years, and we're looking for something that must continue the trend.

Thanks to all!
--Gray
My answers to your questions are in red above. Hopefully you find a trailer you love. We went from a popup to our current rig. Quite the difference. Still miss that popup from time to time.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Well, the deed is done. Tis ours. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397351153.652307.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	49717 turned into
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397351185.516140.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	49718. Expect many user questions.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

Congrats on the upgrade! She's puuuuuuurdy!

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
daydreaming about camping

looks sharp, congratulations!

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

Congrats! I bought a 16FB, 4 or 5 months ago. We've had it out 5 or 6 times and it's a blast. My 16FB is smaller than your FQ, I pull mine with a '12 Pathfinder. It pulls easily and it does have sway/weight distribution. We haven't had any issues and have done a couple of mod.'s. You will enjoy it!
colocampingrado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade