Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Upgraded to 16" LT Tires

I finally got the wheels and tires in that I ordered from my local tire dealer, below are some pics from putting them on the 5er.

Some before shots:

As you can see, I am a little nose high in the pictures and that is with no air in the airbags on the truck. At the time, the frame up front measured 24" from the ground and at the rear it was 21" from the ground.
So, after some thinking and measuring I decided since I was going with 16" BFG Commercial TA's I could stuff some larger tires in there to help level the ride, I ended up going with 235/85/16's.

After wearing myself out with a bottle jack and no power tools to remove\install lug nuts here is the final results:

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

Here is a shot of the old and new:

Finally, here is a shot of the new wheels and tires crammed in the wheel wells:

One thing I did't think about is that the center caps that came with the Sendel wheels would not fit due to the axle sticking out too far. I just reused the old center caps and I'm happy with they way they look.
I did have to trim a little material on the plastic fender skirts just to be safe, but it is in a location you can't see unless you are laying on the ground looking up.

All in all I am very happy with how this turned out. I now don't need to worry with loads on the tires since these are rated at 3042 lbs, much better than the 2540 lbs the old 15" D rated ST tires had.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

Looks good. Quite a bit of a size difference between the 2.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Quite a bit of a size difference between the 2.
Ya, it was enough that when I picked them up I second guessed myself on if they would fit. I had done the measurements several times and knew they would, but they looked LARGE at first glance.