Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #1

Using an extension cord....good or bad???

We just bought a new Coachmen Chaparral 392MBL to have out at our lake lot. We currently have a 30 amp post near where we work our trailer but now need to upgrade it to 50. I called a few electricians in the area today and was quoted roughly 1800 to 2000 dollars all in which I thought was a little steep!!!

My question is, since I already have a 50 amp plug at our wash house would there be anything wrong with running an approx 50 foot extension cord from there to our trailer??? I would run it through some conduit and route it around the wood ties at the base of the wife's flowerbeds to eliminate a tripping hazard but is there any reason or anything I need to consider before I did this? I'd MUCH rather spend a few hundred dollars on a good extension cord than a few thousand if I can get away with it.

Thanks!!!!!
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #2

I've bought 50amp extension cords at Amazon and they work great....they are not cheap but way less than what you're electrician is trying to charge you...It cost me less than $100 to self install a 50amp plug in my garage at my circuit panel... maybe they are dinging you hard for the long wire run or something ...$1800-$2000 is a joke

NU-CORD 94561E 50-Feet 50-Amp Rv Extension Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GXQDHU..._6xuezb1A1K8VR
Squirrelcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:34 PM   #3

I think it's the long run, the fact it gets so cold here in the winter the conduit and the fact it apparently has to be buried. I said I would dig the trench but it only saved me a few hundred dollars.

I'm OK with doing it if I have to but if I can get a extension cord for a hundred dollars like you did.....do you find any issues or power loss when using the 50 foot extension?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
We just bought a new Coachmen Chaparral 392MBL to have out at our lake lot. We currently have a 30 amp post near where we work our trailer but now need to upgrade it to 50. I called a few electricians in the area today and was quoted roughly 1800 to 2000 dollars all in which I thought was a little steep!!!

My question is, since I already have a 50 amp plug at our wash house would there be anything wrong with running an approx 50 foot extension cord from there to our trailer??? I would run it through some conduit and route it around the wood ties at the base of the wife's flowerbeds to eliminate a tripping hazard but is there any reason or anything I need to consider before I did this? I'd MUCH rather spend a few hundred dollars on a good extension cord than a few thousand if I can get away with it.

Thanks!!!!!

Is this where you STORE IT or WHERE YOU USE IT? If you do not need to run both AC units in this spot, there may be no reason that you could not Just use a DOG BONE for the 30 amp post and have a nice day.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #5

No loss of power that I can tell, it runs everything fine... keep in mind the only reason you really need the 50amp plug is to power both A/Cs at the same time or and A/C and microwave and helps with a smart converter charging the battery.... with all the LEDs and LED TV stuff in today's new trailers you can probably power almost everything in your trailer at once (except the A/Cs) off a single 15-20 amp outlet... a heavy 10 gauge extension cord to a 50 amp adapter will easy power 1650-1800 watts of stuff running all at once... it really all depends what your wanting to do or use while being plugged in
Squirrelcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Is this where you STORE IT or WHERE YOU USE IT? If you do not need to run both AC units in this spot, there may be no reason that you could not Just use a DOG BONE for the 30 amp post and have a nice day.

Both, we will leave it there for the winter but also use it there during the summer. We only have one A/C unit in the trailer but the wife LOVES to use her Keurig in the mornings. Also we are toying with the idea of a wager and dryer to help with the 7yr olds mess.

I have a 50-30 amp dog bone but was told I should only use 30 amp if there is absolutely no other choice.....I am assuming this advice is a little off? We don't plan on adding a second A/C unit at this time as we can use a fan butI also do t want to constantly trip the breakers or worse yet wreck the trailers electrical system.......For the record, I know NOTHING about electricity
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelcop View Post
No loss of power that I can tell, it runs everything fine... keep in mind the only reason you really need the 50amp plug is to power both A/Cs at the same time or and A/C and microwave and helps with a smart converter charging the battery.... with all the LEDs and LED TV stuff in today's new trailers you can probably power almost everything in your trailer at once (except the A/Cs) off a single 15-20 amp outlet... a heavy 10 gauge extension cord to a 50 amp adapter will easy power 1650-1800 watts of stuff running all at once... it really all depends what your wanting to do or use while being plugged in

At most, maybe, the A/C TV and microwave at the same time occasionally. Out of all the summers (6 years) in our old trailer (30 amp) I can think of maybe 5 individual times it's happened.

That being said, I usually only run the A/C for about 40 min give or take just to take the edge off. Where I live, things tend to cool down a few degrees at night during the summer anyway.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

My question is, since I already have a 50 amp plug at our wash house would there be anything wrong with running an approx 50 foot extension cord from there to our trailer???
I hope you not talking about a 50 amp dryer outlet! 🤤
You better make sure it's not 240v.
Read up on how 50 amp RV outlets are wired.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

Use of Extension Cord

If this is going to a place where you store and use your RV, you are better off making it a permanent hard wire connection. Use must follow the national and local electrical codes for your area. This will insure that it is wired properly and safely. You can Google the proper procedure to this job. Check the cost of the extension cord and you will be surprised at its cost. Make sure you don't take any shortcuts because in the long run it will cause you problems. Beware that electrical wire can not be just laid on the ground (temporary electric cords can) they have to buried or run overhead. Check with you local electrical inspector for the proper installation. Good Luck
paule253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #10

The 50amp extension cord that came with my trailer, is 36ft. long. I don't see another 14 feet being an issue, IF you want to go that route. I just moved my trailer out onto my property, and needed ~160ft. The wire, alone (4-4-4-6), was only $173 (direct burial copper, bought it at a recycle place). Now, new, it would have been about $700 (copper) or $250 (aluminum). The box was ~$35 (Home Depot). The ditch, I dug by hand, but wish I would've rented a trencher...
Bottom line, $2000 sounds high, and if you can find a 50ft cord AND you want to go that route, I wouldn't think you would have any issues......other than tripping over it.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I hope you not talking about a 50 amp dryer outlet! 🤤
You better make sure it's not 240v.
Read up on how 50 amp RV outlets are wired.
50-amp Service.pdf
Old 05-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

I already have an existing 50 amp (RV plug, not a dryer plug) about 40-50 feet away from where we park. We also have 2 30 amp posts right beside our trailer where we park which is what we used until now. The only reason we are looking to upgrade is our wife would like to take advantage of the washer and dryer hookups in our unit.....I am assuming we would need 50 amp for this.

As for the cord, I have a friend who's father owns an electrical supply store where the trades buy their stuff. He just offered to make a 50 amp 30 foot long extension for me that would cost about 75.00 all in.

I would mitigate the tripping hazard by putting it in some PVC pipe and running it along the bottom of the wife's flower beds that are boxed in with wood....no way anyone would trip over it then.

Price wise.....EVERYTHING is high in Canada!!! The cheapest I got was 1800 most expensive was 2200.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #13

Check the CLASSIFIEDS on forum have seen several 50 to 75 foot cords for sale before. You can also order them on line or go to CW and get one for a lot less than $1,800.00, that price is way out of line unless they are going to put it in conduct and dig the ditch to put it in. lol...
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
I already have an existing 50 amp (RV plug, not a dryer plug) about 40-50 feet away from where we park. We also have 2 30 amp posts right beside our trailer where we park which is what we used until now. The only reason we are looking to upgrade is our wife would like to take advantage of the washer and dryer hookups in our unit.....I am assuming we would need 50 amp for this.
We have 2 A/Cs and a Washer & Dryer (living full time right now, and I've yet to trip a breaker). Unless you want to play electrical musical chairs....trying to guess what you can run with the A/C, I'd go with 50amps. I just didnt want my wife to have to worry about that kind of stuff, if I wasn't there. If you can get a cord for cheap, go with it. Remember, though, that putting wires in conduit will derate the ampacity a little. The heat generated can not escape as easily, when the wire is in conduit......just fyi. That being said, I am not an electrician. I just talked to several when I was installing electricity on my property (I built/wired the service pole, ran the wire to my trailer & water well & installed the 50amp box next to my trailer). Granted, its only been ~2weeks, but so far, so good.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #15

Just an idea but if you can get the code required wire from family cheap you could just bury that and leave open at the post and breaker box and then just pay the electrician to hook up. Much cheaper and safer. The quote would be very different that way.

Be sure the electrician knows it is for an RV and knows what that means wiring wise. If not find a different electrician.

I would not hook to the existing box because cable may be a different size if the run is shorter but if the gauge is the same you could but would want to eliminate the plug to prevent double dipping.

My only concern with the extension cord is that it is the proper gauge for the load and length.

It is always better to hardwire where you can for safety bit there is always a plug for the wire. I had squirrels that liked my 110 lines where conduit broke and fried several of them as well as my stuff. I had to replace the wire and conduit all the way back.

You could also use the 30amp and just run the extension when doing laundry but that seems cold in winter and those 50amp cables get stiff when cold.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #16

If you already have a 50 amp plug and not using it why can't you buy the correct size under ground wire tie into the 50 amp you have run the wire to the new spot install the correct plug and call it done.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #17
New RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
If you already have a 50 amp plug and not using it why can't you buy the correct size under ground wire tie into the 50 amp you have run the wire to the new spot install the correct plug and call it done.
I agree, if you are not planning on using the 50 amp existing post in the future tie in a 50 amp line run it the 50 feet, buried below frost level, new outlet. No way that should be $2000...
Robspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #18

Remember, the longer the run the more amps you pull and more heat you create. A long run in a home from one side to the other to plug in your unit will cost you a bundle in wire alone. Any qualified electrician will have to follow all the codes in your area, The last thing any working man wants is a law suit because your house burned down. If you run it yourself and it burns your house down most likely your home owners won't cover it. Is $1500 or $2000 more important than your life? Not being a smart ass but as a retired tradesman, I've seen it all. Do it the safest way possible to protect you and your loved ones. I'd rather spend 2 grand than take a chance.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robspana View Post
I agree, if you are not planning on using the 50 amp existing post in the future tie in a 50 amp line run it the 50 feet, buried below frost level, new outlet. No way that should be $2000...
If you are willing to dig the trench as you indicated then just do as they suggested. Buy 6 guage UF cable (underground feeder) and run it properly. You friend will help you get what you need. I have wired several shops and out buildings this way. You have a fairly short run.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #20

The more I think about this, the more I agree it may be a better option. Does anyone in Canada [emoji1063] know how deep I would need to buy it as per code? If not, I can ask my friends father when I see him, I assume he will know