Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Walk through expectations:

We are doing a walk through of our 2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 RBS on February 26th. Due to freezing weather in Omaha, NE we are unable to hook up the TT to water. How does one check connections without water hookup?

We also want to check the electrical connections, how is that done? We have a 10 page walk through checklist to use.

Ford F-150 Eco boost
2016 Coachmen Catalina Banner Edition
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Most dealers "should" have a protected service bay they can pull it in to for your PDI. If not... then I would delay the PDI and signing the final papers until the weather improves. Once your rig leaves their lot you loose a lot of leverage to have any needed repairs made in a timely manner.

Along the same lines... once your PDI is complete... including full water hook up and water heater test, I would expect them to clear the system, dump the tanks, and winterize it for you before taking it home.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

While you can't check the water, you can have them run through everything they did to winterize it and, also, explain what to do to unwinterize it. (If you're not familiar with that stuff.) If you're new, bring a notepad and take notes and also take pictures.

(A tip from my dealer was to take and print out, in color, pictures of all of the outside labels as the sun can make them fade and it's good to have them...especially the specifications, model info, etc.)

A realtor friend gave us this tip years ago...when doing a walkthrough, have a 3-prong tester to check EVERY outlet. (I did this on a new house and actually found 2 outlets that weren't working or wired wrong.)

I think there's also many great tips in here on walk-throughs....don't let them rush you and be asked to be showed (not just talked about) everything that they can.

Have fun...excited for you!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

If you get it done on the 24th, it would be above freezing for the day. They can then winterized it after.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USNE0363:1:US
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Paradise has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Most dealers "should" have a protected service bay they can pull it in to for your PDI. If not... then I would delay the PDI and signing the final papers until the weather improves. Once your rig leaves their lot you loose a lot of leverage to have any needed repairs made in a timely manner.

Along the same lines... once your PDI is complete... including full water hook up and water heater test, I would expect them to clear the system, dump the tanks, and winterize it for you before taking it home.
Ditto. Water problems are all too common. I wouldn't take it off the lot or sign anything until you do a full PDI. Unless they are a really small dealer I can't believe they don't have a service bay.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #6

What does PDI stand for? Thanks
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallgrlx2 View Post
What does PDI stand for? Thanks
Pre-Delivery Inspection

It's not uncommon for a dealer to un-winterize for a PDI and then winterize it again when you are ready to hit the road. Given it's winterized, I'd be less concerned with leaks because the pink anti-freeze would make them obvious. However, I would be concerned with making certain the hot water heater works properly along with the water pump.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post

Yep

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

As it is a new unit, I doubt that there is any water in it. Am I wrong? Why would the manufacturer put water in it? My bet it that new units are delivered dry to the dealer.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
As it is a new unit, I doubt that there is any water in it. Am I wrong? Why would the manufacturer put water in it? My bet it that new units are delivered dry to the dealer.
There's water in it when it leaves the factory, this time of year anti-freeze. Believe it or not, they do test the water system at the factory. I know it's surprising when one contemplates the drips and drizzles found during PDIs. However, we have friends who have been hauling new trailers from the factories for many years now and they make it a point to make sure the techs dumped the "bowl" so the brand new bathroom doesn't get a splash down!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

I'd make sure you check the water, on my brand new 2013 coachmen, the first time I take it no water, the valves are in the wrong position. Second time out no city water and a leaky valve. The water line was kink in the wall. Have them check it for you
Quacker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #12

The water system can be (PDI Checked WITHOUT Water)! They can and do check the system with (Regulated AIR Pressure)! The only part of the system that cant be checked is the (F/W Tank and the supply line to the Pump! I had a KZ delivered that was still under (Air Pressure) from the Factory! The Drains had A/F in them. This was in the Winter,(7deg.F) Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote