Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #21

Boaters (cabin cruiser type boats) do what you want to do. Many of the larger boats ... 30 footers and larger ... come equipped from the factory to do this.

Boats have battery switches that connect to multiple battery banks in multiple configurations AND will isolate ALL batteries, too. That way shore power can keep the batteries charged but not allow any power to the boat. (separate connections keep power to essential equipment such as bilge pumps, propane detectors, etc.) A modern multi-stage converter/inverter from Xantrex or West Marine will automatically switch from using battery power to shore power when a shore power connection is detected.

If you visit some of the boating forums you will find lots of detailed info on this subject.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Like Turbs said, converters and inverters are different. Inverters use battery; don't charge them. You probably should update your signature line, so we can see what kind of RV you have.

You get what you pay for when buying an invert. Magnum is the Cadillac, but nothing wrong with Morningstar products. First thing to do is get a Trimetric battery monitor to see what you are using. You need to provide more information on what you are trying to accomplish... there is way too many variables.

If its solar you are seeking you need to study first. Here is a link to a guy that seems to know what he is talking about. I'm still trying to absorb what he has to say.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

WW
Ditto on Handy Bob! He has tons of experience with off the grid electrics!
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #23

Most of us ADD an Inverter and either run select outlets to it or plug the whole house in to it. Pluging the whole house in to run off your inverter can pull the batteries down pretty fast Also you need to unplug or otherwise disconnect the Converter/Charger so it is not causing the batteries to run the inverter to in turn try to charge the batteries. Way too much loss in that loop. Some big 5ers and many big coaches like a Tiffen have the built in Inverter/Converter/Charger. Seems that the inverteer is there to run the entertainment center or for those with residential frig, the frig. Only tried to work on one of those three in ones; and that is just too many things in one box to fail at once for my simple mind and budget. I like my separate Generator, or plug in to my separate 2000 watt inverter and unplug my charger/converter or if on shore power then I plug the converter in if I want added charge to the batteries above what my solar provides. If you have a "perfectly functioning" Converter Charger and just want to add INVERTER power for non generator use when boon docking, just add the inverter (at 2000 watts I run everything one at a time except the A/C) and be careful to watch how far you pull your batteries down before charging. Best bet to have solar working all day if you plan to run much of an inverter.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #24

Clearly wiring an inverter and plugging the "whole house" into it is the easiest but not the most "fool proof." You can locate the inverter close to the batteries and run the shore power cable to that location. However, some units have a hard wired converter so you would have to flip off the converted breaker when doing this. In my mind it might entail less wiring, but demands a lot of careful thought for operation. You have to turn off the HW heater as well. Bear in mind that the microwave will work and somebody is going to use it!!!!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelcop View Post
My trailer is stock....has just the stock converter/charger that it came equipped with....was wanting to be able to use all 110 power outlets and 12v lighting in the RV while boon docking and running on battery power.....
Running the whole house is a big load if you are not really careful. We run three 80 amp grp 24 batteries and 200 watts of solar but if I do not watch the usage with the BIG Inverter (ours is 2000 watt pure sine wave with a remote monitor panel/on off switch), it will eat up a lot of battery fast. Heating things in micro, limited use of the big hair dryer or alternatively
the curling irons no problem, use it and then turn if off. Mostly we run it, sometimes for hours, for charging computers, radios, and sensitive electronics then turn it off. For TV it is 12 volts already and the Direct TV box runs on a little 200 watt modified sine wave inverter.

Think of this. When pulling 1000 watts off the inverter at 120v ac is going to pull in the neighborhood of 100 amps from the 12v battery bank so keep that in mind. Two good golf cart batteries give you about 220-230 amps or 110 to 115 usable pulling them down to 50%. That's an hour of 1000 watt inverter draw. At high noon on a sunny day my 200 watts of solar is only putting, at best, 8-10 amps back in. Those numbers are rough, but should be food for thought. Best of Luck. Remember, for most of us, upgrades like this are a process not an instant fix.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Clearly wiring an inverter and plugging the "whole house" into it is the easiest but not the most "fool proof." You can locate the inverter close to the batteries and run the shore power cable to that location. However, some units have a hard wired converter so you would have to flip off the converted breaker when doing this. In my mind it might entail less wiring, but demands a lot of careful thought for operation. You have to turn off the HW heater as well. Bear in mind that the microwave will work and somebody is going to use it!!!!
DITTO

Tags
2014, coachmen, inverter