Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

Water getting inside at fresh water fill

Camping with the family and been getting quite a bit of rain. Just today noticed some water inside the trailer.

Tried to track the water and it seems to be coming in from the fresh water fill.

At first I thought there was a leak in the fill pipe. But it seems dry and didn't notice the water until after the rain.

Upon closer inspection it seems that the actual fill connection on the outside seems to be missing/lost the sealant around it.

Any suggestions as to what sealant I should use to close it up?
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Husky Quest Brake Controller
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Use Dicor Non-sag sealant or Super Flex Non-sag sealant. You can get either or both a Camping World, Walmart, Amazon or any RV dealer. You can also use plumbers putty by removing the connection and rolling the putty into a rope and placing it on the back of the flange. Removable rope chalk for windows works well also.

In no way are you to use silicone sealant or Flex Seal on a RV. They don't work well and are incompatible with other RV sealants and many times the materials used to build them.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Use Dicor Non-sag sealant or Super Flex Non-sag sealant. You can get either or both a Camping World, Walmart, Amazon or any RV dealer. You can also use plumbers putty by removing the connection and rolling the putty into a rope and placing it on the back of the flange. Removable rope chalk for windows works well also.

In no way are you to use silicone sealant or Flex Seal on a RV. They don't work well and are incompatible with other RV sealants and many times the materials used to build them.
Thanks. No dicor where I am. Poor cell signal too.
Found some plumbers putty to use for the rest of this trip.
Will get the sealant from Amazon when I get home.
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

Used the Plumbers putty while away and it seemed to help, but water is still seeping in. Much less, which makes me think that this is the problem, but the putty is not cutting it, or I just didn't do it right. Any other apex owners notice any water coming in right at the floor near the queen bed at the slide end? I removed the panel that covers the fresh water pipe in the storage area and dried the area out but that is certainly where the water was as I see the water stain on the wood framing right at the floor. The paneling was slightly wet as well right around the cut out for the fresh water fill.

On a side note, the Plumbers putty container indicated that it is not to be used on plastic - which the fresh water fill flange is.
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

Sorry, I didn't think of the flange being plastic, the window rope caulk should work on plastic as it does for vinyl windows. My flanges are metal. The leak may be the fitting on back side being loose.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water