Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Question Water in panel above 5th Wheel kingpin

Having heard about others with water leak issues from the front cap, Yesterday I stuck my hand up in the panel below the overhang at the kingpin assembly and discovered it to be very wet up there. The insulation I could reach felt very wet. I need to investigate this further. Could be why I've consistently had minor mildew smells. Anyone else seen this? Unit is a 2012 Chaparral Lite 280 RLS........
lwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Check the caulk'n on clearance lights, if yours has 'em.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks Bob. I'll check the caulking around the clearance lights in the next couple days when I can get the ladder out and get up there. Good suggestion....
lwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Left Coast

On my unit, I just installed a compartment /door for the rear stabilizer switch. When I pulled the switch loose, even-tho it looked like it was caulked, none their! the paneling behind the outer 'skin' was wet.....so I'm not big on the kid with the caulk'n gun.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

Water over panel near King pin

Last summer I noticed a bubble on the panel under the fifth wheel over hang near the king pin. I drilled a small hole in the middle of the bubble. Water ran out in a steady stream. I then used Dacor caulking to seal the seam on the roof and silicon caulking to seal the seam at the corner of the overhang where the side panel meets the bottom panel. I also caulked around the Windows. This seemed to stop the leak, where ever it was.
robert.beck.7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

You water entry is very likely at the molding at the bottom edge of the sidewall where it meets the belly panel below the bedroom area. The water runs down the side and enters at the molding. Clean out all of the old silicone sealer along the top of that molding you will find that it has become loose from the filon wall. This area moves greatly when traveling and shears the silicone from the wall. Use a high grade silicone "adhesive" sealer to reseal. Be sure to clean off the old silicone. You can use painters tape to get a good clean look to the sealer.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
Left Coast

Yeah, there is a lot of flex in that area....have to seat that area after cross county trips. Almost ready to remove trim in that area to redo
Old 11-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

My Sandpiper did that. It was,a leak at the washer valve in closet.
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Check the caulk'n on clearance lights, if yours has 'em.
X2 while cleaning the bugs off my front cap I noticed my clearance light was loose. Glad I found it. Cleaned off the old caulk and I resealed it with silicone.
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #10

I'm thankful I read this post. On inspecting mine, found the caulk on this edge, cracked on both sides! I wonder what the safest way to remove the old caulk would be? I used my thumb nail but it wasn't very effective in the thin area.

The first year with this camper, both of the front side light lens filled with water. I pressed rope caulk on the top and front side and that seemed to fix the problem. The lense would be easy to remove if the bulb needed to be replaced.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, water, wheel