Old 02-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

We will NEVER buy another Coachmen

We have had our travel trailer for less than 28 days. It has been at the dealership with a slide motor issue for three weeks. Then today after we picked it up and went to the campground the converter has gone out. We were also told that roadside assistance is not available and that we would have to go to THEIR Location for support. But, if they were able to diagnose the issue, we would have to pay for parts and labor out of our own pocket. This is a 2019 trailer that we just bought on January 3. We will never buy this brand of trailer again. And I will never trust that the systems will work correctly in order to take it very far from home. We had to pack up our belongings, leave the travel trailer at the campground. And drive all the way back home. I contacted coachman and all of the 800 support numbers that I could find and no one would provide any assistance. This is horrible customer service And unacceptable low-quality.

dianeotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #2

Most new units have some bugs that need to be worked out. I have been lucky with 5 different units and only had small issues go wrong that could easily be fixed when convenient for me. I have seen lots of threads about buying local to make warranty work easier. Your dealer should be jumping on the warranty work without an issue. If having problems it sounds like a dealer with poor service not an issue with the manufacture.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Team

This forum, has over 100,000 members many of whom have years of RV experience and as such may be able to assist you. Many times what appears to be a failed electrical item is simply a blown fuse or a tripped breaker or other simple fix. Please provide a little more info on your converter symptoms and we can possibly save you some time and frustration.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

How did you determine "the converter has gone out"? Sometimes certain activities blow the Reverse Polarity fuses in the converter such that the converter does not work.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 74; booked = 12
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

Did you call your dealership today?
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
Site Team

As others stated it may be something simple. FRF is a collection of Do-It-Yourselfers...and we could probably help or show you alternatives if you wanted to salvage at least this weekend.

If you want to give more details on how you have arrived at the converter conclusion, we may can help.

Even if the converter is out (which could be just as simple as a fuse(s).... you can always just plug in a vehicle type battery recharger and keep all your 12 volt DC stuff going if you are at a campground with electrical hookups.

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Why would you need to leave camper at camp ground? Where is your dealer they should do the warranty work no charge even for converter if it is bad. As mentioned lot of knowledgeable folks here to help by providing a little more info. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 38
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

The converter, slide motor and other systems are not unique or exclusive to Coachmen, but can be found in most RV brands so those are not brand specific issues. They should however be covered by the warranty if defective. As mentioned sometimes its a simple fix like a blown fuse etc. Take a deep breath and get it sorted out. Most likely after some minor fixes you will be good to go.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

Sorry you're having trouble but, back on 10/24 you posted:

Yikes! I’m not handy at all. That sounds an incredible amount of repairs for a new TT. It sounds like the quality of the Coachman trailers aren’t what I expected. We didn’t have any of those issues with the Gulf Stream.

Yet you still bought a Coachmen? IMO, owning an RV requires being handy to fix the little things yourself and patience when having the big things fixed. It's not a matter of if something will go wrong, it's a matter of when.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

I have not posted here for awhile, but am always lurking around trying to learn things. Before going off on a tirade, be more specific with your issues. If the folks on here cannot help you, it cannot be fixed. I have learned more fromhere than anywhere. I have always maintained that if you cannot fix most of the **** that goes wrong with a unit or can afford to pay somebody to fix it, you should not buy an rv

pacin is offline   Reply With Quote