Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Well we got the 360 IBL and had a China Bomb experience

After all the hiccups we had with sales, we had decided if the walk thru did not go well, we were just gonna walk and go elsewhere. The paperwork went very smoothly, the walk-thru guy was excellent. They had a driver who was to deliver the 5th wheel to our storage facility since we haven't gotten the truck yet and he was very nice and personable. Got the "starter pack" tub of stuff from the dealer and the really sweet girl at the register told us that the only really usable thing in the tub was the toilet paper and the tub itself. Gave us a good laugh because everybody had told us that all that stuff was not really highest quality.

Our son who has quite a bit of experience in rving told us to replace the tires before we were ten miles down the road, that they would probably not be very good. We said we would get them replaced after storage and before we hit the road for the first time. Man, we should have listened to him.

We left to drive the 75 miles back to the storage facility and complete the paperwork there. When driver arrived, a tire in the back was going flat. Had just enough air to park it as it had started losing air just down the road from the storage facility. Then the parking space was too short so he had to rehook and move it over a few slots. He was great about it.

Now to find someone to come to the storage facility to change out the tire and hopefully no damage to the rim. If so, guess we get a new battle with the dealership to get a new rim. I'm not sure if it's because of the problems we'd had with sales or if it's commonplace but we were told we had a 7 year warranty on tires. Now to try to find the paperwork to prove that and get it done.

Our sweet son said not to be discouraged, these things happen and that having the tire start losing air so close to the storage place was so much better than it happening as they drove down the highway. He had a blow out on his Winnebago and he said that was not fun at all.

So here we are, newbie owners of what we hope is a great vehicle for future adventures!!
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Congrats on the new unit. As I'm sure you've read, many many horror stories about the China bombs.
I'm sure your worries are behind you. May you have many nights of enjoyment out of your new unit.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #3

Your son is right, good that it happened now instead of being on the road at highway speed. Would be a good time to invest in a tire pressure monitoring system for the fifth wheel IMHO. Search above for TPMS. I have the TST 507 and it saved me once from a blow out condition, worth the expense. Good luck and happy camping.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

We have a TT on order and negotiated from the beginning to have American brand name tires put on from the get-go. I believe they will be changed out by the dealer because of the production process at the manufacturer. Thanks to everyone on this forum who shared their experiences with China made tires!!! It was reading your stories that made us aware of the problem and throw this into the negotiations.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #5

I'm glad to look on this site, we are about to order or new FW and will definitely be talking to the dealer about putting better tires on as part of the ordering process.
cowboyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

we been RVing for over 25 years and you will love the people you meet. Enjoy and don't get discouraged
b1hasj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

US tires?

Are there any 16" trailer tires made in US ?
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #8

I don't have a clue about what tires to buy. DH will be doing some online searches and talking to some people who know more than we do. I have heard there are some good China tires but I can't tell you which ones or if that's even true.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

I get mixed opinions about tires. I use 235x80x16 tires. Maxxis seems to get the best reviews but they are pricey, Goodyear Marathon gets mixed reviews but I think maybe they would stand behind their products? My tires are a little over a year old and I am going to wait a while longer to change them out. I purchased the Tire Minder wireless monitoring system and will install when I get my Crusader back from the dealership. Maybe I will get a piece of mind by knowing the status of my tires.
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufys View Post
Are there any 16" trailer tires made in US ?
The last set of Goodyear G614's I bought were made in America. You are right, there are not many.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

Fufys I've been looking at some of the tire pressure monitoring systems as well. I'll be picking up my new FW soon and that'll be the first thing I install
cowboyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote