Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
We purchased our fifth wheel from Terry Town and their package wasn't much. Battery and propane were included, but the sewer hose was a short piece of....junk. Prices in their "store" we're high. Fortunately we are had all we needed from our previous RV.
I think you are right. Do some comparison shopping and buy good quality sewer hoses, fresh water hoses, tank treatment (your choice), etc. before your first camp trip.
You might talk them into giving you credit for the "value" of what you don't need to spend on other stuff in their store. We bought ours 2 years ago and memory says they told us the included package was worth $300+. HA!! We buy our batteries for about $100 each and propane costs vary, but highest I've seen is $3.25 per "gallon". So you can do the math to figure what they are charging for the rest.
If you can, have someone video the entire walk through. It's amazing how many things are forgotten within the first 24 hours. Took me days to remember what switches operated what lights

Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
If your new rig only has 30a service, you will also need a step-up plug from 30a to 50a for the odd chance you find a CG with only 50a service; I did.

--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears;
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
All of the above mentioned are great, but the two things I'd never be without are my Electrical Management System and my Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We use the Portable Progressive EMS PT50 and the TST 507 TPMS. Both are top of the line units that I highly recommend. TechnoRV has their TST $20 off this month with the code MAY20 and good price on the Progressives. Free shipping too.
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
Items to purchase

I would personally buy what I think I needed and just keep receipts and return if you are given that item. Rather be prepared. Enjoy
Vegasmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #15
You are kinda worried to much . Any thing that they do not give ya you can buy at a close Wal-Mart ! Myself I would not buy anything on the advise from a forum as we have no idea of what you want your camping experience to be! What would be important to me would be a bike and a fishing pole !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #16
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Even if they do give you a starter kit...they suck. Well, that may be a little harsh, but they're usually the cheapest items. I would, if nothing else, go ahead and get a decent sewer hose. I had a cheap one split on me on first use...could have been bad. I got a set of two ten foot interlocking sections with caps. I haven't had to use all twenty feet yet, but I've got it if I need it or something breaks on one. Same for freshwater hoses. Get two just in case you need to reach a little farther. A good idea, actually, is to just run down the RV section at Wal Mart and see what looks good. You can usually get the basics there. You'll also want a black hose rinser fitting and I usually carry an assortment of fuses, teflon tape, electrical tape, light bulbs, screw drivers and wrenches, and things like that.

And wheel chocks. Must have and I'm pretty sure you'll pay double at the dealership.
X2. My experience has been the same. The junk the give you as a starter kit usually finds its way in the trash. I would take with me quality sewer equipment, a good RV water hose with pressure reducer to start with. Make sure you have a jack that will work and everything you need to change a tire. You should also take a torque wrench as well. You will need to re- torque the wheels a few time over 450 miles. The list goes on and on. Welcome to rving.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
Remember, you are not being "given" anything. The items listed so far are pretty basic. . . based on common experience. Could you borrow a jack? Sure. But if you had one....will you need 50' of hose? Maybe not at first. Tools? = Basic set. Tape, wd-40, water leak management, wall mollies and no-damage stick-em hooks come in handy for mounting "stuff" - keys, flashlight, etc. The walls are very thin and not structural. . . go light with cooking & eating gear. Check the bed size...camping sheets or domestic sheets? Outside mat by the door....binder(s) for all the manuals and a checklist. Know the dimensions of the trailer - height!! width!! weight!!

Oh yeah, a happy camper!
Retired U.S. Coast Guard Mustang
Presently a librarian @ Duke
2016251RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #18
New items needed

We are new to RVing but the one thing definite to spend money on and no dealer will provide this is a: Surge Protector. It shows even if the parks electrical power supply is appropriate for your Rig. In our short experience we already found one resort that was not grounded properly and saved a lot of money. Plus many states have tremendous electrical storms. Surge Protector will save your appliances and unit. Be safe and enjoy your unit.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #20
Originally Posted by TheRowlands View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I've got a pretty good shopping list going. I'll probably just buy most of it. If I don't need it, at least I'll have backups. As far as the electrical testing items, can I just use a multimeter?
You can as long as you are sure you are getting 120VAC. If the voltage is too high or too low, you run the risk of damage that your RV warranty will not cover.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote