Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #21

Hitch....since it wasn't mentioned. A lot of people just take what the dealer sells them and lets them install it. That's hit and miss...mostly miss. Research it and learn how to set it up then either do it yourself or double check what they've done ASAP. It'll ride MUCH better when set up correctly.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #22
Middle Aged Member

We purchased our TT from Terrytown, and they gave a 20% off anything in the store as well as off installation of anything. Their prices were reasonable as well. They throw in sewer hose, water hose, and so on when you purchase. If not, ask them for it.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Hitch....since it wasn't mentioned. A lot of people just take what the dealer sells them and lets them install it. That's hit and miss...mostly miss. Research it and learn how to set it up then either do it yourself or double check what they've done ASAP. It'll ride MUCH better when set up correctly.
I have a 5th wheel hitch being delivered today, and I will be installing it myself. I thought about having them install one, but read too many horror stories of dealers not getting it done in time due to parts, etc and didn't want to be stuck there.
https://www.roadbrewing.com
TheRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #24

Like most people have said, do not rely on the "free stuff." If you do, it will quickly fail. We keep ours as an emergency backup,to be used like a donut spare...only for enough time for us to get to a store and buy something better.
We have found that if you pick up the essentials at the dealer's store, you can then decide as you go what else you might need.
Start with a quality water hose. Next is a rugged sewer hose, disposable gloves or thick plastic gloves, chocks, a surge suppresor, main extension cable (30 or 50 amp to fit what you have), and black tank chems. You will end up spending 1000s now, if you buy everything you may need someday. It helps to wait and see what others have or do to get ideas for what you may want to carry. Check out YouTube for some ideas. RV 101 is a wonderful series for you to get to know things.
Good luck!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #25

For some reason I was thinking WDH when I knew your unit was a 5th wheel. Still applies! I'm paranoid..don't trust anybody hooking up my stuff.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #26
jkoenig24

I got my DX3 at TerryTown. Very pleasant but, totally INCOMPETENT people. Not one roll of toilet paper in either bathroom. No paper towels in kitchen. Give blatantly wrong information re: out of state registration. Provided a 15 Day Temp reg plate and then took 14 days before they mailed the paperwork (I actually got MUCH better service from MI DMV when I contacted them). I paid extra for Dish receivers but, one was not set up properly. They had over a week from my commitment to delivery but, never vacuumed all the crap the factory left (shavings, dust etc).

Bottom line; do an EXTREMELY thorough PDI. Really use a fine tooth comb because, once TerryTown has your money, they just want to get rid of you. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
The lists prior are good. You may want to think about slide toppers and a hard wired surge protector while Terrytown has your unit. We are buying ours now and wish we had thought about if before delivery. Terrytown is very near 31 and m6 to you can go to Meijers (like Walmart) or Wallys and buy most everything for less. But if they will install what you buy or give you a discount, it probably pays to buy it there. Good Luck.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #28

my 2 cents. If I had to do it over again, I would have stayed close by like you are, and talked to the other campers at the site you are staying at. Looking at how they setup and tear down is very informative. All you need to start is a water hose, an electric cable and a sewer hose which should come with the rig. Everything else is nice to have but is not essential. I know you are excited. We all were. Take your time, half the fun is making changes, so stretch that process out. Good Luck.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Here are just some of the things I bought for my trailer:

X-Chocks
Leveling blocks
Lug wrench and bottle jack (most trailers donít give you a lug wrench or jack so be careful)
Tire inflator
Tire pressure gauge
Carpenterís level
Sewer hose
Clear sewer hose adapter
Sewer hose support
RV safe toilet paper
Black tank chemicals
Garden hose for black tank flushing (donít use your drinking water hose for this)
Rubber gloves
Drinking water hose
Water pressure regulator
Inline water filter
30A extension cord
RV surge suppressor
AC volt meter
120V outlet tester
Cable tv cable

Just to list a few
Excellent list, but I found one more thing immediately - an external switch to disconnect my battery since the trailer didn't have one. It's very easy to run one of those 24 series batteries down by accident. The switch is easy to install with the addition of a couple of battery wires. You can search elsewhere on the FR forums or google rv battery disconnect for more details. Also, on rvtravel.com and other places there are amazon lists for favorite/needed items.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #30
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglynn55 View Post
my 2 cents. If I had to do it over again, I would have stayed close by like you are, and talked to the other campers at the site you are staying at. Looking at how they setup and tear down is very informative. All you need to start is a water hose, an electric cable and a sewer hose which should come with the rig. Everything else is nice to have but is not essential. I know you are excited. We all were. Take your time, half the fun is making changes, so stretch that process out. Good Luck.
If I were to create a list of the absolutely must have essentials it would be:

sewer hose
water hose
electric cable
wheel chocks
black tank chemicals
rv safe toilet paper

most other items are highly recommended but not an absolute necessity.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote