Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

What do I need to buy before picking up new unit?

We are eagerly awaiting word from the dealership about when we can pick up our new 390qsmb. In the mean time, we are trying to get everything we will need. This is where we need help.

When we pick up the new camper, we plan to stay in the area for a couple nights. Since it's about 430 miles away, we want to be sure we get some of the bugs worked put before bringing it home.

What sorts of things will I need that do not come with the purchase, such as sewer and water connections, step down plugs, etc. I asked the dealer, but of course his answer was that it is part of the orientation. I would rather research and buy the best items for the best price, as opposed to making a last minute purchase at the dealership. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to include what brands you have found to work best for you. Thanks!
https://www.roadbrewing.com
TheRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many dealers will throw in sewer hoses, water hoses, toilet paper, toilet chemicals, etc with the purchase of a new unit.

My dealer does. While we did not need them (already seasoned RV'ers) they gave us a $150 gift certificate to use for whatever we wanted in their store.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

If it helps, we are purchasing from Terrytown RV in Grand Rapids, MI
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRowlands View Post
If it helps, we are purchasing from Terrytown RV in Grand Rapids, MI
Call them and ask if the items you mentioned come with the purchase.
It doesn't hurt to ask and tell them since you are buying a multi thousand dollar unit, supplying these items is simply good business. Any dealer worth buying from, will supply them. If they won't come off $100 dollars worth of hoses and adapters, you probably should expect to carry a fat wallet when you go back for service.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

I asked in an email, and their response was "We will review anything you might need while you are here, it’s part of your orientation." I'm hoping they will include them, but if not, I don't want to be stuck buying them at the dealership. At this point I don't have any leverage, as I have put a sizeable deposit on the purchase.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

You'll pay full retail at the delivery dealer.
You'll also discover things you need as you go along. Amazon prime is your friend.
Thinks systems. Fresh Water = hoses, filter, pressure gauge; sewer = discharge hose(s) / gloves, tank chemical(s); Electrical: distilled water for the battery; test meter; 30amp to 15 amp conversion plug (to run the fridge / tv / charge the battery); tire pressure gauge; landing pads, spare hitch pins, etc, etc. Some things are fun or nice to have...others are critical.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

Here are just some of the things I bought for my trailer:

X-Chocks
Leveling blocks
Lug wrench and bottle jack (most trailers don’t give you a lug wrench or jack so be careful)
Tire inflator
Tire pressure gauge
Carpenter’s level
Sewer hose
Clear sewer hose adapter
Sewer hose support
RV safe toilet paper
Black tank chemicals
Garden hose for black tank flushing (don’t use your drinking water hose for this)
Rubber gloves
Drinking water hose
Water pressure regulator
Inline water filter
30A extension cord
RV surge suppressor
AC volt meter
120V outlet tester
Cable tv cable

Just to list a few

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I asked in an email, and their response was "We will review anything you might need while you are here, it’s part of your orientation." I'm hoping they will include them, but if not, I don't want to be stuck buying them at the dealership. At this point I don't have any leverage, as I have put a sizeable deposit on the purchase.
Well, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but you seem to have two concerns... having these items for your first camping trip and how much you might have to pay for them.

You have two choices...
Either buy and pay for them (in advance) someplace else, only to find out on arrival you could have received them free... or... get someone at the dealership to give you an honest answer, yes or no.

It is really that simple.
It has nothing to do with leverage.
Any dealer worth his salt WILL NOT let a new buyer leave the lot without the items necessary to camp.

If you can't get a straight answer about the the things mentioned earlier, you probably should ask about them filling the propane tanks and a battery, if you haven't already.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Even if they do give you a starter kit...they suck. Well, that may be a little harsh, but they're usually the cheapest items. I would, if nothing else, go ahead and get a decent sewer hose. I had a cheap one split on me on first use...could have been bad. I got a set of two ten foot interlocking sections with caps. I haven't had to use all twenty feet yet, but I've got it if I need it or something breaks on one. Same for freshwater hoses. Get two just in case you need to reach a little farther. A good idea, actually, is to just run down the RV section at Wal Mart and see what looks good. You can usually get the basics there. You'll also want a black hose rinser fitting and I usually carry an assortment of fuses, teflon tape, electrical tape, light bulbs, screw drivers and wrenches, and things like that.

And wheel chocks. Must have and I'm pretty sure you'll pay double at the dealership.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Thanks for the responses so far. I've got a pretty good shopping list going. I'll probably just buy most of it. If I don't need it, at least I'll have backups. As far as the electrical testing items, can I just use a multimeter?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #11

We purchased our fifth wheel from Terry Town and their package wasn't much. Battery and propane were included, but the sewer hose was a short piece of....junk. Prices in their "store" we're high. Fortunately we are had all we needed from our previous RV.
I think you are right. Do some comparison shopping and buy good quality sewer hoses, fresh water hoses, tank treatment (your choice), etc. before your first camp trip.
You might talk them into giving you credit for the "value" of what you don't need to spend on other stuff in their store. We bought ours 2 years ago and memory says they told us the included package was worth $300+. HA!! We buy our batteries for about $100 each and propane costs vary, but highest I've seen is $3.25 per "gallon". So you can do the math to figure what they are charging for the rest.
If you can, have someone video the entire walk through. It's amazing how many things are forgotten within the first 24 hours. Took me days to remember what switches operated what lights
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #12

If your new rig only has 30a service, you will also need a step-up plug from 30a to 50a for the odd chance you find a CG with only 50a service; I did.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

All of the above mentioned are great, but the two things I'd never be without are my Electrical Management System and my Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We use the Portable Progressive EMS PT50 and the TST 507 TPMS. Both are top of the line units that I highly recommend. TechnoRV has their TST $20 off this month with the code MAY20 and good price on the Progressives. Free shipping too. https://www.technorv.com/TST_RV_Tire...tors_s/110.htm
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
Conservative Warrior

Items to purchase

I would personally buy what I think I needed and just keep receipts and return if you are given that item. Rather be prepared. Enjoy
Vegasmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #15

You are kinda worried to much . Any thing that they do not give ya you can buy at a close Wal-Mart ! Myself I would not buy anything on the advise from a forum as we have no idea of what you want your camping experience to be! What would be important to me would be a bike and a fishing pole !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Even if they do give you a starter kit...they suck. Well, that may be a little harsh, but they're usually the cheapest items. I would, if nothing else, go ahead and get a decent sewer hose. I had a cheap one split on me on first use...could have been bad. I got a set of two ten foot interlocking sections with caps. I haven't had to use all twenty feet yet, but I've got it if I need it or something breaks on one. Same for freshwater hoses. Get two just in case you need to reach a little farther. A good idea, actually, is to just run down the RV section at Wal Mart and see what looks good. You can usually get the basics there. You'll also want a black hose rinser fitting and I usually carry an assortment of fuses, teflon tape, electrical tape, light bulbs, screw drivers and wrenches, and things like that.

And wheel chocks. Must have and I'm pretty sure you'll pay double at the dealership.
X2. My experience has been the same. The junk the give you as a starter kit usually finds its way in the trash. I would take with me quality sewer equipment, a good RV water hose with pressure reducer to start with. Make sure you have a jack that will work and everything you need to change a tire. You should also take a torque wrench as well. You will need to re- torque the wheels a few time over 450 miles. The list goes on and on. Welcome to rving.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #17

Remember, you are not being "given" anything. The items listed so far are pretty basic. . . based on common experience. Could you borrow a jack? Sure. But if you had one....will you need 50' of hose? Maybe not at first. Tools? = Basic set. Tape, wd-40, water leak management, wall mollies and no-damage stick-em hooks come in handy for mounting "stuff" - keys, flashlight, etc. The walls are very thin and not structural. . . go light with cooking & eating gear. Check the bed size...camping sheets or domestic sheets? Outside mat by the door....binder(s) for all the manuals and a checklist. Know the dimensions of the trailer - height!! width!! weight!!

Oh yeah, remember....be a happy camper!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #18

New items needed

We are new to RVing but the one thing definite to spend money on and no dealer will provide this is a: Surge Protector. It shows even if the parks electrical power supply is appropriate for your Rig. In our short experience we already found one resort that was not grounded properly and saved a lot of money. Plus many states have tremendous electrical storms. Surge Protector will save your appliances and unit. Be safe and enjoy your unit.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #19

Aspirin
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #20
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I've got a pretty good shopping list going. I'll probably just buy most of it. If I don't need it, at least I'll have backups. As far as the electrical testing items, can I just use a multimeter?
You can as long as you are sure you are getting 120VAC. If the voltage is too high or too low, you run the risk of damage that your RV warranty will not cover.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote