Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Question What's wrong with my water pump?

We got the trailer out to de-winterize this weekend and all is good except the water pump (and an uninvited mouse guest over the winter - but that's been cleaned up already).

I know that most of these pumps can run dry without issue, but it seems that this started near the end of last season when my 3 year old left the water running in the bathroom, we had gone out for a couple hours and when we got back we noticed the tap still on (and lack of water).

Now it starts and stops and if it sits for a few minutes builds up a bit of pressure in the lines, but after a few seconds of running water there is almost no flow at all and the pump isnt making normal strong pump noise that we are used to.

I couldn't attach the video directly to the board but here's a link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01...ew?usp=sharing

In the video I set the phone on the edge of the drawer where the pump is and go back and flush the toilet, I get good pressure for a couple seconds and then continue to hold the flusher and you can hear how intermittent the pump is when I am holding the toilet flush open.

I did make sure nothing else was leaking (taps/lines/hot water tank), and took it apart and checked the filter (nothing in the screen) and other than that I am at a loss. Any suggestions or should I just try and get the pump replaced?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #2

Is your battery hook up properly? Almost sound like the water pump is running in reverse direction?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #3

Good idea but its definitely not connected backwards, it worked great last season until it ran dry.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #4

Going to replace it with a Shurflo 4008 and see how it works, aside from the tight squeeze of having to get at it through the drawer it should be a pretty easy swap. Hope that'll do it.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Motor sounds OK, perhaps you have a hole in the diaphragm from running it dry for so long. You have to take it out to check anyway. Don't know if the parts are replaceable.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

Just finished replacing it, new ShurFlo is in and works great - built up pressure quickly and its super quiet compared to the OEM pump.

Hooked the old one up to 12v with alligator clips and had a bucket of water and it was pushing water out but it was quite slow, I assume as well it would have issues building pressure if I had something attached to the outflow. Will take the old one apart at some point and see if I can see anything, maybe keep it as a spare or use it for winterizing if I can get it going.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Take that old pump apart, it's only like 6-8 screws. This happened to me. I bought a new one after the winter, and after I hooked up the new one, curiosity got the best of me and I took apart the old one. One of the outlet valves had gotten stuck from drying out I guess and didn't want to move. I pushed on it ever so slightly and it opened right up. The old pump is now a spare part, and will work just fine.
dive2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEGrolo View Post
Just finished replacing it, new ShurFlo is in and works great - built up pressure quickly and its super quiet compared to the OEM pump.
where did you get that pump? and what was the cost? we have, well had, a 292BHDS until it was recently stolen. I was wanting to change out the OE pump for a quieter model because of the poor placement. under the kids bunk.....not sure what they were thinking there.

I am also in the Edmonton area
DMcGruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
where did you get that pump? and what was the cost? we have, well had, a 292BHDS until it was recently stolen. I was wanting to change out the OE pump for a quieter model because of the poor placement. under the kids bunk.....not sure what they were thinking there.

I am also in the Edmonton area
Hey, I picked it up at Edmonton RV Service just off 91st/63ave. Edmonton RV - RV Service

I don't remember what I paid but it was basically the same price as what it was on Amazon.ca plus shipping, and I didn't have to wait for it.

Thanks.

Tags
pump, water, water pump