Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

When is a 2018 a 2018? Apex Nano 193bhs

I wonder if anyone can offer some insight into this for me as a new TT owner. I purchased a used 2018 Apex Nano 193bhs from a dealer last week and I am really happy with the unit. However I noticed something when looking at some pictures I took and confirmed at a recent visit after the purchase. The unit has no outside shower. Now, having no outside shower is not a deal-breaker but I just expected it to be there having some my research on 2018 models. Guess I just didn't realize it was not there when we did the purchase viewing. Here is the thing - every ad and even the RV Show brochures of this model show that the 2018's have an outside shower. I decided to do even more research and now know that the 2017's did NOT have an outside shower. I am a little concerned that I was mislead, or I just don't understand the dating system of TT's. The sticker on the unit says it was manufactured in April of 2017, but I know that the next model year is released earlier than the actual calendar year, but how early is too early? Did I actually get sold a 2017 model? Any expertise on this topic is much appreciated. Thanks
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Most every brochure or web page listing the features of an RV include a statement that "Manufacturer reserves the right to make changes without notification" . Changes are made for a variety of reasons therefore it is always important to view the actual unit you are purchasing and not make any assumptions. Many of these changes are made mid model year. The best way to determine the documented year of your unit is to check the VIN number on the frame.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

Camper manufacturers make changes/updates at any time. There is no logic to these changes. They change the model year about April/May. The ONLY way you can be sure what you get is to physically look at it, or have current photos of THAT unit.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

Yes I realize that it was/is my duty to know what I am purchasing. I was just a little confused about the discrepancy on official Coachman RV brochures and the actual unit I purchased. I think I just wanted some assurance that it was in fact a 2018 model year unit.
I did a VIN check to confirm that.
I guess the early 2018's had no outdoor shower but the later ones did.
Learning as I go. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

I have a 2017 193bhs and asked the same questions of my dealer because I did not want the 2016's refrigerator. They said they make Early - 17's, 17's and late 17's. For each model year. the late ones will have most of the early 2018 features.

I wish mine had the door's under the dining table that the 18's (or some of) have. I contacted Coachmen and I am able to buy the doors and hardware reasonable so I will just go that route.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #6

We purchased our in June of 2017 right when the 2018 Model Year was introduced. It's listed as a 2018, and titled as such. HOWEVER, ours does not have the outdoor shower, nor the window in the front cap, or the tub spout. Those are all the models that were made very recently in 2018.

That being said, you were not misled, it IS a 2018 model year. They have just upgraded the newer ones.

We added an outdoor shower and some other things that we though were useful though.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

I would check your Title. To me that’s the definitive document.

I recently purchased a dump trailer that was made late ‘17, so wasn’t sure. Title says ‘18 so I am “good” with it. If it had been a ‘17, I would have negotiated harder on price, etc.

My RV had been on the dealers lot for two years, & that affects a lot of things, like resale value, Tires, battery age, etc. I tried to make sure I paid a fair price for exactly what I was getting.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

The new model year may begin as early as Feb. or March of the previous year. That way next year's models are on dealer lots at the beginning of the camping season. But those units will be almost identical to the previous year's units.

Major changes happen in the fall just before the major dealer's show , usually in Louisville. Those real changes are meant to excite dealers staff about the next selling season and to get orders from the dealers to keep the factories running during the slow winter months.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #9

Agree with other's, your's is a 2018. We bought our's in October and if my memory is right the outside shower and bathroom shower having it's own faucet were 2 fixed they made August and later. Sorry if you were misled :-(
WI Margbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #10

We have an outside shower.
For what it’s worth. We have never used it. Your probably not missing anything.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
We have an outside shower.
For what it’s worth. We have never used it. Your probably not missing anything.
I figured as much, but I guess it is one of those "nice to have" items especially when washing pots or sandy items and feet from the beach. I know I can have one installed aftermarket if I really want one. I was not really misled, just a little over-excited when I made the purchase. Honestly, even if I did catch it, I would have made the purchase anyway - maybe I would have tried to negotiate the installation into the purchase deal. Live and learn.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Margbabe View Post
Agree with other's, your's is a 2018. We bought our's in October and if my memory is right the outside shower and bathroom shower having it's own faucet were 2 fixed they made August and later. Sorry if you were misled :-(
You're absolutely killing me, Margbabe! <-- my guy is wailing, not laughing. (joke)

As others said:
  1. RVs are not like cars ... changes seem much more fluid.
  2. Model year is part of the VIN
  3. Outside shower is of limited utility ... unless you're camping in a nudist colony.
I think Rockwood & Flagstaff have a rhythm that gives them a refresh (and you a reason to upgrade) every 6 months. Flip the model year around March and then upgrade the features at the end of summer. The "what's new for model year x" usually occurs mid-year, not at the start of a model year. Clever.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #13

I purchased a 2017 Coachmen Catalina last year. Title says 2017 but the label at the front of RV says manufactured September 2016
pastorlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

Yep. Model years are often later that manufactured date. Just like most cars.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote