Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason201 View Post
This question is like some people with clothes...

Just because you can get it on.... Doesn't mean it fits.
^^THIS!!!^^

Please work out the numbers to see if your truck is rated to haul it. A lot of people will tell you how well their truck pulls regardless of the numbers. Just keep in mind that if you were ever involved in a collision, whether your fault or not, you will be automatically considered at fault if you are over the specified weight for either or both vehicles. You could also be subject to civil and/or criminal charges if someone were injured. Upgrading your airbags may improve your truck's ability to carry the load, but it does not improve it's ability to stop said load. All these fancy upgrades mean absolutely nothing when law enforcement is looking at the numbers...
https://www.roadbrewing.com
TheRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRowlands View Post
^^THIS!!!^^

Please work out the numbers to see if your truck is rated to haul it. A lot of people will tell you how well their truck pulls regardless of the numbers. Just keep in mind that if you were ever involved in a collision, whether your fault or not, you will be automatically considered at fault if you are over the specified weight for either or both vehicles. You could also be subject to civil and/or criminal charges if someone were injured. Upgrading your airbags may improve your truck's ability to carry the load, but it does not improve it's ability to stop said load. All these fancy upgrades mean absolutely nothing when law enforcement is looking at the numbers...
I read this on every rv forum I go to, yet I have not seen one documented incident where this happened. I'd just like someone to show me one time where this happened.

If over your gcvwr I could maybe see it. I worry whether my back axle and back tires can handle it, and if they can, I stop worrying. My 2015 2500hd is good to I believe 23,500 pounds gcvwr. 17,000 fifth wheel according to the owners manual.

It almost seems like everyone on rv forums are in the business of selling 1 ton trucks.

Sure I wish I had a one ton but I got a good deal on the 2500hd I have.

And people always mention stopping the trailer. 3500hd and 2500hd have the same brakes. Same motor. Same rear end.

One leaf spring is the only difference.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I read this on every rv forum I go to, yet I have not seen one documented incident where this happened. I'd just like someone to show me one time where this happened.

If over your gcvwr I could maybe see it. I worry whether my back axle and back tires can handle it, and if they can, I stop worrying. My 2015 2500hd is good to I believe 23,500 pounds gcvwr. 17,000 fifth wheel according to the owners manual.

It almost seems like everyone on rv forums are in the business of selling 1 ton trucks.

Sure I wish I had a one ton but I got a good deal on the 2500hd I have.

And people always mention stopping the trailer. 3500hd and 2500hd have the same brakes. Same motor. Same rear end.

One leaf spring is the only difference.
I am a retired police officer and certified collision reconstruction expert. Can I cite and document specific cases? Sure, but that would require me contacting former co-workers and getting copies of the reports. Am I going to go through the effort to prove a point? No. All I can do is tell you from experience that it is possible. I certainly hope no one here has to learn the hard way. I only hope that it, along with the safety of your family and the others on the road with you, will be considered in making such an important decision.
https://www.roadbrewing.com
TheRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #24

Curious how it really feels on the road.. When I bought our 360IBL I had a 2500 Ram which I loved dearly.. but wasn't comfortable with the weight on the 2500, so we upgraded to a 3500 Dually. The 360IBL is a dream to tow behind the dually.

[ATTACH]130765
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170111_072703.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	130765  

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #25

My towing vehicle is 2012 GMC 2500 Duramax. I have pulled my IBL 360 to the Smokies and Estes Park, Co. last year. I've also made several trips to Missouri and other parts of Tennessee. Pulling through Raton Pass was a little dicy. I never feel overloaded. On good roads I can pull between 65-70, but I do try and maintain my distance from others. Towing has not been an issue. When traveling I do use the exhaust brake. I do have air bags on the truck.

I did break down in Denver. I got the DEF message that my exhaust filter was clogged. Lost power and had to spend the night in Denver before getting it fixed. They replaced the exhaust system. Would have costed $3000, but was under warranty.
Attached Files
mchat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #26

Yes, it will pull it. BUT, there is no way in the world you won't be over payload by as much as 1000 lbs. Your hitch weight will be around 3000 when loaded.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #27

I will post this story from another forum member I know.

Quote:
I've been RVing most of my life with pop-ups, bumper-pulls, slide-in campers and fifth wheels. Regardless of whether or not your truck can pull the load or the fact that you're "only going to be on the road for 3 hours", there are published specifications on what your truck is capable of handling "safely".

These days, insurance companies are "creating" ways not to pay claims. If you're involved in an accident with your F250 and that trailer, don't be surprised if the insurance company denies the claim.

A few years ago I rolled my truck in a freak ice storm, in the middle of nowhere. I had an slide-in camper and bass boat in tow. The result was a total loss of both the truck and the camper, insured by different companies. Both insurance company's performed an investigation, checking the GVWR of my truck, the Slide-in Camper Certification (from the factory), weight of the camper, the Published Tow rating of my truck and the combined weight of my boat & trailer. Fortunately, I had chosen a "lighter" camper based on the rating of my truck, not what the salesman was pushing me towards. He kept saying: "Folks put this model in 3/4 tons all the time, without any problem". In the end, both insurance companies told me that my rig was within the recommendations for a slide-in camper and towing and paid the claim(s). It could've easily gone the other way.

Also, the State Trooper who came to the scene did a similar investigation. He gave my rig a clean bill of health regarding how it was set-up but issued me a ticket for "failure to control my vehicle".
Old 03-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #28

"I never feel overloaded."

Just like the Caterpillar in Wonderland.

"Wise, enigmatic, and unshakably mellow, the Caterpillar gives Alice some valuable advice about how to get by in Wonderland. He smokes a hookah and sits on a mushroom. He gives Alice the valuable gift of the mushroom (one side making her bigger, and the other making her small), which gives her control of her size in Wonderland."
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #29
Tinkerer and Putterer

I thought that the idea of putting the same 11.5 AAM axle in both the 3/4 and 1 ton was rediculous but I was wrong. I just spent the last few hours comparing part numbers, axle diagrams and crawling the 4x4 sites for differences in stock 11.5 axles and there aren't any. In fact they appear to be the same across brands which really surprised me. I compared brake part numbers between the 3/4 and 1 ton and guess what? They are the same. The difference in the SRW models are indeed the springs (length, width and pack count) but I still won't bite on the frames being the same. When I was shopping trucks years ago I was able to measure the differences between the frame sizes between a 3/4 and 1 ton but that was back in 2007. The 1 ton spring was also longer and wider than the 3/4 ton spring which would minimally decrease flex and improve stability. That is probably why Chevrolet stopped offering the 1 ton SRW truck (the limitation is the tires at that point). Ultimately it's the ops choice but I know I would sleep better knowing I wasn't a potential lawsuit rolling down the road every time I towed my home away from home.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
I thought that the idea of putting the same 11.5 AAM axle in both the 3/4 and 1 ton was rediculous but I was wrong. I just spent the last few hours comparing part numbers, axle diagrams and crawling the 4x4 sites for differences in stock 11.5 axles and there aren't any. In fact they appear to be the same across brands which really surprised me. I compared brake part numbers between the 3/4 and 1 ton and guess what? They are the same. The difference in the SRW models are indeed the springs (length, width and pack count) but I still won't bite on the frames being the same. When I was shopping trucks years ago I was able to measure the differences between the frame sizes between a 3/4 and 1 ton but that was back in 2007. The 1 ton spring was also longer and wider than the 3/4 ton spring which would minimally decrease flex and improve stability. That is probably why Chevrolet stopped offering the 1 ton SRW truck (the limitation is the tires at that point). Ultimately it's the ops choice but I know I would sleep better knowing I wasn't a potential lawsuit rolling down the road every time I towed my home away from home.

Um, GM still sells SRW 3500's
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #31

Cat Scale Weight

Earlier this month we took our 360IBL out for a weeks stay on Lake Conroe. Packed for the week, I decided to weight the truck and trailer at a local CAT scale. Attached are the results. I wanted to weight the truck separately after arriving at our camp site but the weather wasn't cooperating so I ditched the idea. Maybe next time. I need to get into the specs before drawing any conclusions. But I think I'm ok??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAT.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	133196  
mchat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #32

What's the specs on your truck? GVWR, RAWR, GCWR?

Your GVW is over 10,000...

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #33

We just started towing our Wildwood, 43" with a 2500 diesel.
Shumate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydan View Post
We tow this exact trailer with 2016 RAM 2500HD, with Cummins 6.7. Tows it good, depending on the condition of your truck an air bag upgrade may help better your situation.

We pull with nearly the identical setup, except I have the mega-cab. Airbags are on my wish list, cuz the rear sags just a tiny bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c4a5.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	133910  
jorn_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags