Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Window Leak Behind Sink

2018 Freedom Express 281RLDS - Ultra Lite. This was purchased in October at the end of the season and parked on its pad in my backyard. I checked on it often and then after Christmas, I took a couple items out and saw a sizable puddle on the counter top at the sink. There had been a heavy rain storm with a strong blowing wind prior to that. i cleaned it up and made sure that the sliding window was closed properly. I then laid a paper towel on the counter just in case. After the next heavy, windy rainstorm, i checked again and found a partially wet paper towel and water droplets on the lower 3 slats of the blind in the middle.

Has anyone had similar problems and what might be the solution? It was dry after our last rain storm which did not have blowing wind with the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Leak 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	196496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Leak 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	196497  
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #2

Had a similar problem, different trailer different window, however quick check go outside to the affected window, check around the perimeter of the window seal and check that the window cut out isn’t larger than the window frame in a particular area!
On our trailer on one window at the top there was a 1/4 inch gap, you could see into the trailer with the inside trim removed!
A little (lot) of caulk fixed the problem. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

I did check around the window as well as the weep holes. I opened and closed the window several times, went out and ran my finger down the rubber seal at the edge of the window where it slides together. my thought was that the rubber seal is not large/long enough or tight enough seal for those very windy rain storms that we had. But I shall check as you say in a couple days. We're to have snow, freezing rain and then rain over the next 2 days.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

We have the same problem . This summer we are going to take the window apart and redo all the seals on the window. Hopefully that fixes our problem.
cleanwiz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

I do have an appointment with the dealer for June after we come back from our first trip with the camper (They already have the photos of the rain water leak.), and if i find any other problems on that first trip, they can be addressed at that time. Not real concerned now as I can check after every rain, but..... I want it not to leak in driving rain. At least the walls in this camper will not rot and the water is on the counter which is sealed at the wall and at the sink.

Apparently, you saw no physical places where the water can come in. When it warms up, I shall take a hose to it to check myself.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #6

I had very similar issue with my Coachman when my trailer was new. Under warranty they removed the window and reset it. The service advisor told me that the weeping holes were plugged with silicone which caused the water to sit in the window track and leak inside. It’s been fine since it was redone.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

The windows are simple to remove, reseal and reinstall. Especially the smaller ones. All you have to do is remove all the screws from around the window on the inside. The inside frame and window will then pop out. The factory seals are ridiculous, it'll be the foam tape/weather stripping. Remove that, clean up the residue with goo gone and then reseal with butyl caulk tape. I usually use two layers. Re-install the window and I doubt it'll ever leak again. I've done this to three windows, one was a massive window that basically covered the whole back wall of the camper. That one took two people. I've never seen a leak again.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

Our Flagstaff had a leak on the side of our front window. Dealer pulled it out in March of 2018 and said the seal wasn't seated properly. They smoothed it out and we have been dry ever since.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
I had very similar issue with my Coachman when my trailer was new. Under warranty they removed the window and reset it. The service advisor told me that the weeping holes were plugged with silicone which caused the water to sit in the window track and leak inside. It’s been fine since it was redone.
I shall have to recheck those weep holes. They seemed open to me but perhaps a wire is needed,. I checked with a screwdriver. That was one thing my dealer told me to check last month.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #10

Took it to the dealer today before the snowstorm predicted tonight and the snow/rain storm for the weekend. Service manager told me that they have had a couple other similar coaches which never had a leak in the lot had similar water leaks after a heavy wind-blown rain storm. It seemed like the rain was pushed up through the weep holes and onto the sink counter. They are going to get it in next week and really check it out.

Update more once it is returned.

Tags
leak, sink, window