Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Thanks Ford Idaho, good information. Our camping season ends 10/31, we have to be out of our campground on the Ohio River. This has been our best season out of the last five years, mild summer weather and a campsight with million dollar view 10 minutes from my front door.

Our Brookstone goes into indoor storage Nov. 8 for 6 months. The storage months are the longest months we've experienced. This is the first year for us in the Brookstone, that last three years were in a Sundance 2800RL and one year before that in a Jayco Eagle. I winterized my Sundance last year, very simple so I'm expecting the Brookstone to be almost as easy.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #12

Talking Winterizing complete!

Dreading this chore but it was easier than I anticipated. My helper was a 7 year old grandson, a quick learner.

Found my 24" pex hose behind the water heater panel. Only saw one valve to isolate the water heater. There was something that looked like a solenoid on the hot water outlet, I'm assuming it is a blocking valve to keep antifreeze from flowing back into the WH.

No anode rod in the WH, just a nylon plug so I'll add the anode next spring when we de-winterize. The water pump picked up antifreeze and we used nearly 4 gallons. I made sure all the traps had ample antifreeze. The hookup for a washing machine was the most difficult, had to use a hose from each fitting to a bucket to catch fluids.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my questions, you were a great help!

The Brookstone had a bath yesterday and is ready for winter storage. Can't wait until April to take it out again.

Have a great winter folks....

Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Dreading this chore but it was easier than I anticipated. My helper was a 7 year old grandson, a quick learner.

Found my 24" pex hose behind the water heater panel. Only saw one valve to isolate the water heater. There was something that looked like a solenoid on the hot water outlet, I'm assuming it is a blocking valve to keep antifreeze from flowing back into the WH.

No anode rod in the WH, just a nylon plug so I'll add the anode next spring when we de-winterize. The water pump picked up antifreeze and we used nearly 4 gallons. I made sure all the traps had ample antifreeze. The hookup for a washing machine was the most difficult, had to use a hose from each fitting to a bucket to catch fluids.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my questions, you were a great help!

The Brookstone had a bath yesterday and is ready for winter storage. Can't wait until April to take it out again.

Have a great winter folks....
Only one manual valve on my water heater also. You are correct, a check valve is used.

Not all water heaters require an anode rod. Steel ones do I believe to have the impurities eat the rod and not the tank. Aluminum tanks do not require them. Again, I believe that is the way it goes. Anyway, mine came new without the rod because it isn't required in our tanks.

We had to take ours to storage a couple weeks back. It will be a long winter.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #14

Thanks for the news

Wingedone, thanks for the news about the anode rod. The plastic plug looked original as I could see where it had been removed before.

I think in the spring I'll sterilize the fresh water tank and use it from time to time.

Installing an access panel for the water heater isolation valve may be in order also.

Thanks again,

Tags
roo, winter, winterize