Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #21

Let ya know, winterizing tomorrow lol
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #22
Jaybejo

I would use compressed air. Could us a water bottle cutout to pour in the antifreeze
Jaybejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #23

This fall I ran across a situation where the black tank flush line in a friend's trailer had a low point in it. Water did pool there and would freeze over winter, although there was lots of expansion. A simple blast of low pressure air-even if you simply blow into an attached hose segment-will get the job done. I did also use a funnel to pour in a little antifreeze, but that was not really necessary. As others have stated, there was no check valve.

It is a good idea to trace the line if you can to better understand the trailer's plumbing.
wilfb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #24

Newbie here. What is black tank flush?
Trudyp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudyp7 View Post
Newbie here. What is black tank flush?
It's basically a nozzle that literally flushes out your black tank. Some trailers come with them from the factory but they do sell aftermarket ones as well.

Go to about the 19 minute mark so see one in action.

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
So it suggested we blow 30psi of air via adapter to the black water flush to make sure no water is in the black water flush system? I assume the black water waste valve needs to be open?
No, you do NOT need to open the black drain valve to blow out the black tank flush valve. You cannot pressurize the black tank, as it has a big vent to the outside. You simply are pushing a teeny weeny little bit of water into the black tank.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #27

Regarding using compressed air to winterize the system--I have one question. Isn't there still water in the line between the fresh water tank and the pump itself? How do you make sure there isn't any water in the pump itself--just run it dry?
sgillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgillmore View Post
Regarding using compressed air to winterize the system--I have one question. Isn't there still water in the line between the fresh water tank and the pump itself? How do you make sure there isn't any water in the pump itself--just run it dry?
There should be a small strainer on the suction side of the pump that needs drained while doing that hook up a short hose and pump some A/F through the pump also! Youroo! !
Old 10-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #29

I use compressed air to blow out the water system but one thing I worry about is water left in the pump. Also, it seems like there is no easy way to make sure there is no water left in the fw tank. So I add a little anti freeze to the tank and run it through the pump.
I can blow out the drains also but still add some anti freeze to the P traps just to make sure. I pour some anti freeze in the toilet to protect the seal. A little anti freeze in the b and g tanks and flush valves can't hurt either.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #30

I was hoping that by using compressed air, I could avoid putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank and the supply lines (as some people have mentioned). However, I still don't see how you can ensure that there isn't any water in the lines between the fresh water tank and the point where the plumbing connects to the rest of the system.
sgillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #31

I use an air compressor as well. The process goes like this.

- Open up your low point water drains and all the sink spigots you have to drain as much water out of the system as you can... Don't forget inside and outside shower and the toilet foot pedal.

- Once the water is drained, close the low point water drains and all the spigots.

- Connect air compressor to your city water inlet and set compressor to 35 pounds of pressure....

- One by one open each spigot, hot then cold starting with the one at the highest point of your camper and clear them of any remaining water. While doing this make sure your compressor cycles and stops when you close each spigot so it comes back up to 35 pounds of pressure. Make sure you get the toilet foot pedal and indoor and outdoor shower spigots.

- Disconnect the air compressor you're done with it now.

- Pull the annode on your water heater and leave it out.

- Pour some anti freeze down each of the sink and shower traps.

- Now the only thing left to do is winterize the water pump... If you have an outside anti freeze port, connect a hose fitting to it, turn the fresh water pump on and suck some anti freeze out of the jug into the water pump... If you don't have a port, disconnect the line coming into the pump from the fresh water tank, stick it in a jug of anti freeze and run the pump to suck some anti freeze into it.

You should be good to go...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgillmore View Post
I was hoping that by using compressed air, I could avoid putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank and the supply lines (as some people have mentioned). However, I still don't see how you can ensure that there isn't any water in the lines between the fresh water tank and the point where the plumbing connects to the rest of the system.
Don't put A/F in your FW tank,depends where your pickup is located and tilt of RV would REQUIRE GALLONS for pump pickup! Like I SAID before, drain pump prefilter and connect short hose to suction side of pump turn on pump and pump A/F through pump into "your Empty Filter vessel "! No A/F will be downstream of filter! Come spring pump water through Same short hose after draining filter, done deal ! Youroo! !
Old 10-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
I use an air compressor as well. The process goes like this.

- Open up your low point water drains and all the sink spigots you have to drain as much water out of the system as you can... Don't forget inside and outside shower and the toilet foot pedal.

- Once the water is drained, close the low point water drains and all the spigots.

- Connect air compressor to your city water inlet and set compressor to 35 pounds of pressure....

- One by one open each spigot, hot then cold starting with the one at the highest point of your camper and clear them of any remaining water. While doing this make sure your compressor cycles and stops when you close each spigot so it comes back up to 35 pounds of pressure. Make sure you get the toilet foot pedal and indoor and outdoor shower spigots.

- Disconnect the air compressor you're done with it now.

- Pull the annode on your water heater and leave it out.

- Pour some anti freeze down each of the sink and shower traps.

- Now the only thing left to do is winterize the water pump... If you have an outside anti freeze port, connect a hose fitting to it, turn the fresh water pump on and suck some anti freeze out of the jug into the water pump... If you don't have a port, disconnect the line coming into the pump from the fresh water tank, stick it in a jug of anti freeze and run the pump to suck some anti freeze into it.

You should be good to go...

One more thing to add to this since I just winterized my Roo this morning..... If you happen to have an onboard water filter, unscrew the canister and empty all the water out of it too.

I also like to leave all the spigots open and low drain points as well for an extra added precaution.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
One more thing to add to this since I just winterized my Roo this morning..... If you happen to have an onboard water filter, unscrew the canister and empty all the water out of it too.
As one fellow camper pointed out in another thread, remove the filter element and then insert an empty, capped, water bottle in the filter housing and reinstall. Then as you pump anti-freeze through the system you don't need to fill the filter housing with anti-freeze before it flows through the rest of the system.

I now just use the built in antifreeze "port" and take the easy way out. Blow water out first, bypass water heater, move valve to access the winterizing port, and let the water pump do the work.

Gravity has drained my black tank flush line and the tank to pump water line usually drains when the tank is drained. Line has a good slope back to the tank so when I open the tank drain it all goes out.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #35

I had never really winterized or thought about "winterizing" the black tank flush....so I did spray air down into the outlet and some water came flying out.
I was told once by a very experienced RV'er that the most important part of winterizing is that you're protecting the fixtures and faucets.....that the actual lines can expand and are more forgiving.

Tags
black, flush, winter