Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Winterizing - blow out

Howdy,
2016 Chaparral 29mks
I drained the tanks and I blew out the lines (At least twice). I blew out the black tank flush lines and poured plenty of RV antifreeze in all the P-traps. I removed the drain plug on the hot water heater and blew it out too. My concern is, I can still hear gurgling while blowing out the hot water heater and the pump. When I turn on the pump, nothing makes it to the faucets, but I can hear the gurgling. IF the water builds in the pump, it could freeze and kill the pump. I don't want to use anti-freeze in the lines. Is the residual water a problem?
We will finally get below freezing this week. Here is a pic of my CB. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water CB turned.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	125207  

2016 Chapparal Lite 29MKS
2010 F-250 6.4L Diesel
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

Your issue is this; if you have enough residual water trapped where expansion becomes restricted, you will lose that mechanical device. Things that are most at risk are, valves and pumps, like toilet flush valves, faucets and water pumps. The lines that may hold residual water will expand into the open air voids you created with blowout so no issue there. There are two kinds of RV anti-freeze, I suggest you read up and choose the one that least violates your constitution. Otherwise, everytime you look out the window at your unit, you might be thinking, why didn't I just use the anti-freeze. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
WFD

The residual water isn't a problem....till it freezes...once it reaches that point then it can be a real problem, and an expensive one at that! Listen to the advice Still Kickin is giving you....I see you are from Denver....so freezing temps is a sure thing for you!

Tags
winter