Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Winterizing Clipper 17BH

Getting ready to winterize my clipper for the first time. Seen that there is a hose underneath the bed next to the pump that I added an extension to and figured that this was what I needed. Put the hose into the antifreeze jug and turned the plastic valve a 1/4 turn which was all that you could on the hose that appears to go to the fresh water tank. Turned the pump on and then turned the cold water from the sink on. Ran for about 30 seconds and could not get anything to start pulling the antifreeze out. Dont know if I did not let it go long enough or if something else that I am doing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #2

I left a comment on your other post about checking for a good seal between the original short section of hose and the extension hose.

I just did my winterization last week and the pump immediately started pulling antifreeze as soon as I turned it on. So maybe there's something wrong with the three way valve.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

Thank you for the help. I will check the valve. Had a good seal with the other connection.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

I too am winterizing my FE Liberty Edition for the first time. I'm up to five gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank and the pump is still not pulling it through when I turn on the taps. The TT I had before would pump after just a gallon and a half. I have the hot water tank bypassed and made sure the drain plug wasn't open. Anyone else out there had to use this much antifreeze to get things pumping?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

We ended up pouring into the fresh water tank and it did not start pumping antifreeze until the 6th Gallon.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #6

Hi.

I'm new at this but I think you are better off sucking the antifreeze in right at the pump itself.. If your plumbing is not set up that way it's not a big deal and you will use less antifreeze and not have to worry about cleaning the freshwater tank as much..

Joe
Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #7

After putting in 3 more gallons with still no luck, I sent an email out to Coachmen on the subject and he said that the antifreeze probably still hasn't yet reached the siphon tube and that I could try tilting the TT towards the drivers side (driving passenger side onto a couple 2x8s) to pool the antifreeze towards the inlet of the tube. I did this and it worked. Pretty drastic measure to winterize if you ask me. The other option he gave was to put in a bypass kit which is what I will do next season.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

I went through this last year with my FE. Even after 8 gallons, I had to tilt the camper so the pump would pick up the antifreeze. This year, I'm using a blowout plug and my compressor then putting a couple gallons down the drains.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #9

I have to say... You're wasting a bunch of time and money by dumping antifreeze into you fresh water tank. The fittings on your water pump should only be hand tightened. Super easy to unscrew it and insert a hose.
Buy yourself one of these kits:
Camco 36543 Pump Converter Winterizing Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JJ588..._x.Mowb9JZPD0D Screw the hose into your pump... Stick the other end in a bottle of antifreeze, turn on your pump... Pressurizes within a few seconds.
I used a little less than 2 gallons for the whole camper.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax

Tags
winter, winterize