Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
"On the road again"
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
1) Read through these forums and MAKE A LIST. You're going to be so overwhelmed and excited, you'll forget to ask a lot of what you plan to ask.

2) Take notes (or bring along a micro-recorder and record the PDI).

3) Our PDI guy wasn't the most knowledgeable with the new Columbus models, but he couldn't even really explain how to use the hot water bypass and winterization features.

4) If you ask questions that your PDI person can't answer...ASK THEM TO GET SOMEONE THAT CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION.

5) Our unit has Surround Sound (so did our previous Sandpiper) - and it wasn't working. I had to force the issue to make them set up the Surround Sound correctly before I would accept the unit for delivery.

6) If you have a blackwater flush - make sure it works. Our unit had the check-valve installed backward. It's supposed to prevent backwash from the black-water tank, but it was preventing the clean water from getting in for the "flush".

7) Go back to the forums...

8) Take more notes.

Then...enjoy the experience and accept our best for many years of happy camping!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
Forgot to run AC Unit on PDI

When we picked up our Sunseeker, it was early November, raining and cool. Needless to say, we did not run the AC unit. In the spring of next year we did use it and found it was very noisy as a section of the copper tubing was banging aginst the outside cover. Had a Dometic repairman bend it out of the way, now very quiet. What may have happened is that they ran this at the factory with the cover off, checked out ok and they shut it down and reinstalled the cover?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
oh yeah the guy at the dealer was showing me how to use the weight distribution hitch and the handle slipped out of his hand and hit him where it hurts the most. needless to say the poor guy puked his guts out and was off work for a couple weeks he said his family jewels were purple for a couple weeks and swollen the size of softballs.

Getting back to task here I forgot to ask what kind of replacement lamps the lights took. We have a few halogen bulbs and three blew out in a weeks time. I believe they must have installed them with bare hands at the factory.

I also noticed that there is so much going on at the walk through you forget about things and sometimes things get missed. Don't hesitate to call the dealer and ask if you have questions if the dealer is worth his salt he'll be glad to help or answer your questions. Every dealer i ever dealt with was good about this. The dealer I purchased my last trailer from has new owners with little time to devote to individual customers. Needless to say I went elsewhere to purchase my new rig. If they don't have time to help you and answer questions while shopping on the lot don't think they'll do it after your purchase.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
I am a seasonal camper and like some other posters said you always seem to find things you missed when going through your pdi a good dealer will take care of them as you find them. My dealer even sent a guy to my campground to repair my punch list with things I found wrong with my rig most were very minor but they all added up and most were quality issues you wouldn't have seen on the lot. Then after you see them they drive you nuts lol. I had misaligned drawers, crooked cabinet doors, Laminate that was damaged while being installed. Also a bathroom sink that the installer used too much plumbers putty and after filling it with water a few times the sink became loose.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
My number one suggestion is to schedule your inspection demo at a time "convenient" to you, not the dealer. I picked up my Georgetown MH August 17 after a couple of weeks delay haggling with the dealer over needed repairs before we completed the purchase. My inspection/delivery day was the day before we were scheduled to leave for a long weekend get away for the DW's birthday. That means we had one half of a day to load up a 35ft moho with all of the stuff from our traded in 32ft rig, plus we had family coming over to cook DW a birthday dinner!
I did the PDI on my own, DW could not take off from work. From either this forum or another I printed off a very detailed PDI list. About 15 minutes into the inspection, and liking the young tech who was going over everthing with me, I threw caution and prudence to the wind and decided to chuck the list, ask questions as we go along and prod and poke but essentially saying its "Time to Trust" people. This process still took two and a half hours!. Well, that first trip out the next day was less than fun! Hot water tank did not work, repairs that delayed the purchase by weeks were not complete, after being told by three person Its All Set!, dirty filthy inside rig and out, and the best, when we went to break camp the electric awning would not retract, took 3+ hours to manuelly get it in. So today while I write this, the rig is back at the dealer for the second time since 8/17 for further repairs. One item being the optional DVD/Home Theater not only not working, the darn thing isn't even hooked up! Moral of the story, shame on me being in a hurry and trusting the dealer that everything was done right the first time. See post in Georgetown MH section for complete experience. Good Luck, enjoy the new RV!
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Moral of the story, shame on me being in a hurry and trusting the dealer that everything was done right the first time.

Great lesson for the rest of us, though.

Good luck with everything, Sherman.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Dealer has become very good at trying to get everything right and things are looking very positive. Thanks Triguy

2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly