Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Why you need RV Power Protection

After this weekends occurrence I am even more sold than ever that ALL RV's need power protection such as the Progressive Industries EMS. I am being careful not to say "surge protector" because a basic surge protector doesn't monitor for problems such as open ground, over or under voltage, reverse polarity, etc. With that being said, I installed the EMS-HW50C unit on our new Puma and started getting open neutral error codes. I got out the multimeter and started troubleshooting. Had ground continuity from the trailer side of the connection back to the ground rod at the pedestal. Had continuity to the inlet side of the EMS to the trailer outlets. Therefore, I knew the problem was at the inlet. Removed the inlet and discovered that the ground connection tab was broken off. It was broken cleanly, which was odd, but it pretty much had to occur during installation. Without the EMS, there is no way I would have ever known that the ground was not making contact. If a hot wire would have ever made contact with metal, it could've shocked someone. I attached a pic showing the missing ground tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inlet.jpg
Views:	5556
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	74960  
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
It's cheap insurance that can be carried along unit-to-unit!
Exactly. The Progressive units have lifetime warranties.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I totally believe in them too. Never had an electrical issue, nor do I want one.
This is actually the second thing I've caught with one. I had a 30 amp hardwired model on our first camper back in 2012 and it gave a reverse polarity error code. Discovered my pedestal at the house was wired reverse. Also, when I sold my 2012 Puma 30DBSS I removed that 30 amp model and informed the new owner it had been installed and he should consider one. Very first trip out they lost ground connection at the lake they were staying at and fried the inverter. Cost of new inverter would have paid for the EMS and he would have then been protected in the future.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Dustman-- is the photo of the socket on the side of your RV?
You say the ground lug is broken off but where is the ground wire???
Did they not even run a ground wire to the socket?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Dustman-- is the photo of the socket on the side of your RV?
You say the ground lug is broken off but where is the ground wire???
Did they not even run a ground wire to the socket?
Yes, it is the socket on the side of the RV. I uninstalled the connector and removed the wires during the process. The portion of the ground lug that was broken off was still clamped to the lug(?)a that you screw the wire down with.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

I couldn't agree more that power protection is a necessity. We have an EMS-PT30C from Progressive Industries. It not only protected us from a power overload while staying at a fair, Progressive Industries then replaced the surge module inside at no cost except shipping charges getting it to them. I will never be without.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #7

I built a new home last year with a barn to store my fiver. I ask the electrician to install a RV 30 amp circuit for my RV. After move in I plugged the RV into the outlet but had no power. I checked the EMS which I had installed earlier and it indicated a problem. After looking at the outlet I discovered it had been wired incorrectly. You would think that a licensed electrician would know better. Progressive EMS may have saved me from a serious issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

I have been looking at management systems for a while. Someone stated you can use a 50 amp on a 30 amp system by bypassing something. I was buying for the future and thinking 50 vs 30 for upgrades. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 03-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have been looking at management systems for a while. Someone stated you can use a 50 amp on a 30 amp system by bypassing something. I was buying for the future and thinking 50 vs 30 for upgrades. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Not bypass, add a jumper. You can install an EMS-HW50C 50A to a 30A by placing a jumper between the L1 and L3 terminals.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

Voltage meter vs Progressive Surge Protector.
2 yrs ago spent the winter in an upscale indian owned rv resort.
Plugged in BAM. Bad!
Called emergency number and a chief electrician was dispatched to check out my issue. BAM. No indication of elec flow and interruption, open neutral per METER.
Called mobile rv repair next morning.
BAM. Open neutral in post.
Took out our micro and unknowingly weakened my inverter ( later replaced at my cost) Resort replaced my microwave and paid for service call.
SOLUTION: buy the Progressive Surge Guard with lifetime warranty!
Just say'n !
I have one on order for the new unit!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #11

Make sure you get the one with the display screen, it's so good to see and know what's going on at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
power