Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Any Columbus TH owners on this forum yet?

I saw one at a dealer a few weeks back and it was a beautiful rig! I don't see them around very often however so I was curious to hear from someone who has one to see how it's holding up and how you like it so far.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
I saw one at a dealer a few weeks back and it was a beautiful rig! I don't see them around very often however so I was curious to hear from someone who has one to see how it's holding up and how you like it so far.
Up in the SEARCH BOX- put in Columbus and you will find all kinds of Columbus info on here. We have a 2012 Columbus 320RS and LOVE IT.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
Up in the SEARCH BOX- put in Columbus and you will find all kinds of Columbus info on here. We have a 2012 Columbus 320RS and LOVE IT.
Thanks! I did that and although there is a lot of talk about Columbus I have not found any mention of someone having the 3400TH or other Columbus toy haulers. Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

The Columbus ToyHaulers are pretty new, they just started making them this last winter, so there isn't very many out there yet.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

So a general RV question I guess... After looking and hundreds of floor plans for months I really like the Columbus 3400TH. Everything except the u shap dinette. I would prefer a regular couch there since we will likely eat in the garage area with the happy jack set up. The dinette seats with the low backs etc just dont look very comfortable for regualr living room "hanging out". If we were to get this and really did not like that seating how difficult do you thi it would be to remove those seats and replace with a residential couch? Thanks again
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
So a general RV question I guess... After looking and hundreds of floor plans for months I really like the Columbus 3400TH. Everything except the u shap dinette. I would prefer a regular couch there since we will likely eat in the garage area with the happy jack set up. The dinette seats with the low backs etc just dont look very comfortable for regualr living room "hanging out". If we were to get this and really did not like that seating how difficult do you thi it would be to remove those seats and replace with a residential couch? Thanks again
Have you thought about ordering one and seeing what options are available vs. buying something close and then modifying it?

As for level of difficulty.. Different camper, of course- but my u-shaped dinette appears to be built on top of the carpet. It's made from aluminum framing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2825591455.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	31827  
Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

I just ordered a Columbus 3650, triple slide toyhauler. Supposed to be here late September. I took the option of the dinning table with four chars and reclining loveseat...
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Trailer Trash

Feedback I get from my motorhead friends is a Columbus toy hauler is an oxymoron for most buyers. Motorheads tend to be party hardy, dirty from play, and have greasy stinky motor toys in the back garage area. That lifestyle is not conducive to blowing the extra money for frilly curtains, dark cherry cabinets, stainless appliances, hard surface countertops, etc. For the most part, toy hauler buyers don't want to worry about stains, spills, and having to clean the camper all the time. Ya I am generalizing, but you guys get the thought pattern and quite possibly why Columbus TH model sales are very low compared to the rest of the models.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

My toyhauler will be used mostly for storage for her shoes and clothes, washer and dryer, part time tv room and occasionally my Victory Vision...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Feedback I get from my motorhead friends is a Columbus toy hauler is an oxymoron for most buyers. Motorheads tend to be party hardy, dirty from play, and have greasy stinky motor toys in the back garage area. That lifestyle is not conducive to blowing the extra money for frilly curtains, dark cherry cabinets, stainless appliances, hard surface countertops, etc. For the most part, toy hauler buyers don't want to worry about stains, spills, and having to clean the camper all the time. Ya I am generalizing, but you guys get the thought pattern and quite possibly why Columbus TH model sales are very low compared to the rest of the models.
For the most part I agree although 80-90 % of our camping will be without toys which is why I have had my eye on these. For me I am just really struggling pulling the trigger just because of the price tag. I will need to finance and even though I can afford the payment I am struggling with the idea of paying so much for an RV when I can pay a lot less and accomplish the same thing with just a more basic interior. With that said, the 3400TH is the closest to the "perfect" TH for what we really want so we are struggling with this a bit. I keep looking at the XLR's and the Torque's for example which are 10-20K less expensive and trying to convince myself to go that way to save the money. I need a sign on my wall that says "bang head here" :-)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
The Columbus toy hauler is only one among a handful of similar luxury toy haulers, though. You've got the XLR Thunderbolt, Heartland Cyclone, Road Warrior, and Dutchmen Voltage among even higher end luxury brands. Luxury toy haulers have been around for a long time, though I believe they went way down in popularity when the economy started going down.

But the thing to note is that toy haulers are emerging as a popular choice among those who really aren't going to be hauling around greasy, dirty toys. Full-timers are appreciating that they can bring their golf cart and have valuable additional storage space. Families with children are recognizing that the garage isn't just a garage...it's a bedroom, large dining room, and a common area for hanging out - made especially large with the patio option, so there's really no need to give up permanent space to a bunk room that's just a bunk room.

Some folks travel around to shows to sell their wares, and the garage is a stock room of sorts, as well as those who full-time in their RV, and have a craft they make and sell, thus the garage is useful as a work space and office space.

The Columbus is on our list of possibilities, but we really don't want to spend that kind of money on a new one, especially when we've found a viable alternative. If we could find a used one, it may be an option.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
For the most part I agree although 80-90 % of our camping will be without toys which is why I have had my eye on these. For me I am just really struggling pulling the trigger just because of the price tag. I will need to finance and even though I can afford the payment I am struggling with the idea of paying so much for an RV when I can pay a lot less and accomplish the same thing with just a more basic interior. With that said, the 3400TH is the closest to the "perfect" TH for what we really want so we are struggling with this a bit. I keep looking at the XLR's and the Torque's for example which are 10-20K less expensive and trying to convince myself to go that way to save the money. I need a sign on my wall that says "bang head here" :-)
Oh, you are not alone! No need to bang your head...lol...just go with what's most affordable, but still a quality unit.

The price tag of most luxury toy haulers is a deterrent for us as well. At one time, it was only used models on our list. But I recently discovered the Torque, and that one seems to be emerging as the clear choice for us - it's got the look of luxury with many amenities you expect in a luxury toy hauler, but it's Thousands less. The Torque is insulated just as well as its other Heartland counterparts, but priced much more affordably at less weight. The XLR is also a great choice if it's in the same price range, and it comes insulated very well - above the Columbus toy hauler, but with fiberglass rather than foam insulation. I didn't realize the XLR and Torque were near to each other in price. I thought the XLR was priced similarly to the Columbus.

Anyhow, I have no answer to the OP's question, but you can probably expect similar issues to the other Columbus models. It could be that the lack of popularity is due to it being a new kid on the block. I suspect it will pick up on popularity at some point.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #13

We have been looking for a toyhauler for a long time. I did not like the utilitarian look as with most toyhaulers. We have volunteered in the Smokies in the past and want to do so again, staying several months at a time. We also intend to do a lot of traveling. We wanted the garage to haul my Victory Vision along with extra storage and laundry room. Most fifth wheels have the washer/dryer in the front closet taking up closet space, and believe me with Gloria I need all the closet space I can get....
Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Oh, you are not alone! No need to bang your head...lol...just go with what's most affordable, but still a quality unit.

The price tag of most luxury toy haulers is a deterrent for us as well. At one time, it was only used models on our list. But I recently discovered the Torque, and that one seems to be emerging as the clear choice for us - it's got the look of luxury with many amenities you expect in a luxury toy hauler, but it's Thousands less. The Torque is insulated just as well as its other Heartland counterparts, but priced much more affordably at less weight. The XLR is also a great choice if it's in the same price range, and it comes insulated very well - above the Columbus toy hauler, but with fiberglass rather than foam insulation. I didn't realize the XLR and Torque were near to each other in price. I thought the XLR was priced similarly to the Columbus.

Anyhow, I have no answer to the OP's question, but you can probably expect similar issues to the other Columbus models. It could be that the lack of popularity is due to it being a new kid on the block. I suspect it will pick up on popularity at some point.
The XLR's are not in the same price point as the Torque but are typically $10-$15k less then the Columbus which is still a nice chunk of change. With that said I think the Columbus is much nicer but I just dont know if I can afford it. The problem I am running into is the Torque and many others like it seem to use 6K lb axels and often times have a roughly 3000lb load rating. My toy is a 4 seater Kawasaki Teryx UTV which has a dry weight of 1600lb. Add my gear, fuel, winch, etc etc and I estimate close to 2000 lbs. A full tank of water is roughly 800lbs so I now have 200lbs for EVERYTHING else. Now with that said we rarely dry camp so the water tank is useually empty but I'm just not sure if I want to push it that much. I have been thinking about this on and off for months trying to make a decision.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
The XLR's are not in the same price point as the Torque but are typically $10-$15k less then the Columbus which is still a nice chunk of change. With that said I think the Columbus is much nicer but I just dont know if I can afford it. The problem I am running into is the Torque and many others like it seem to use 6K lb axels and often times have a roughly 3000lb load rating. My toy is a 4 seater Kawasaki Teryx UTV which has a dry weight of 1600lb. Add my gear, fuel, winch, etc etc and I estimate close to 2000 lbs. A full tank of water is roughly 800lbs so I now have 200lbs for EVERYTHING else. Now with that said we rarely dry camp so the water tank is useually empty but I'm just not sure if I want to push it that much. I have been thinking about this on and off for months trying to make a decision.
I totally agree with you...there are nicer toy haulers out there, but they are still just RVs. For the difference in cost, we're willing to take the Torque. There are two new floor plans in the works on the website. It might pay to wait a couple months to see what transpires.

Are you aware that there is a Heartland owner's Forum? There's tons of info there, plus the HL team shows up to answer questions at times.

As far as the axles, I wouldn't count the Torque out for that reason alone. I "hear" that HL will work with you, and that there are unpublished options. If you want to save the cash, I think it would be worth your time to call HL and speak to AJ Jones just to see if you can get an upgrade on the axles. The worst he can do is say no, then you know where that leaves you for sure. But I suspect if they want the sale.....they'll do it. I once asked the HL Gateway factory sales rep for an option that wasn't offered in the flyer...he said "yes."
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I totally agree with you...there are nicer toy haulers out there, but they are still just RVs. For the difference in cost, we're willing to take the Torque. There are two new floor plans in the works on the website. It might pay to wait a couple months to see what transpires.

Are you aware that there is a Heartland owner's Forum? There's tons of info there, plus the HL team shows up to answer questions at times.

As far as the axles, I wouldn't count the Torque out for that reason alone. I "hear" that HL will work with you, and that there are unpublished options. If you want to save the cash, I think it would be worth your time to call HL and speak to AJ Jones just to see if you can get an upgrade on the axles. The worst he can do is say no, then you know where that leaves you for sure. But I suspect if they want the sale.....they'll do it. I once asked the HL Gateway factory sales rep for an option that wasn't offered in the flyer...he said "yes."
For the exact reasons you stated above we were really seriously interested in the Puma's. I still keep an eye on them. You can get a Puma TH with a 12' garage for under $30K. THe biggest reason we have not gone that way is the single slide. My wife really wants the extra space in the bed room with a separate bathroom. The Puma's are a lot of bang for the buck but just are missing a few key features that we really want. The search and brain racking continues...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #17

Quote:

For the exact reasons you stated above we were really seriously interested in the Puma's. I still keep an eye on them. You can get a Puma TH with a 12' garage for under $30K. THe biggest reason we have not gone that way is the single slide. My wife really wants the extra space in the bed room with a separate bathroom. The Puma's are a lot of bang for the buck but just are missing a few key features that we really want. The search and brain racking continues...
We had a Puma Unleashed 3600QLB and opted to take the plunge and upgrade to the Columbus 3600TH.

The unit is extremely spacious and roomy, kitchen cupboards are deeper and an easier reach for myself in comparison. The main living area unfolds to create a fabulous great room with the wrap around dining bench with two separate tables, fireplace and large screen tv. We replaced the one table with just an ottoman for watching tv. The bathroom is separate next to the bathroom with a door. The bedroom is equipped with a queen bed with large wardrobe, plenty of cupboards for storage and wall mounted tv. The one cupboard was a laundry bin which we removed and replaced it with a shelf for extra clothes storage.

We RV it for six months so the washer and dryer are in the garage area. There is still plenty of room in the garage area for relaxing and storage.

We would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has a Columbus and your views pros and cons on the units. Thanks!
Smiley57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley57 View Post

We had a Puma Unleashed 3600QLB and opted to take the plunge and upgrade to the Columbus 3600TH.

The unit is extremely spacious and roomy, kitchen cupboards are deeper and an easier reach for myself in comparison. The main living area unfolds to create a fabulous great room with the wrap around dining bench with two separate tables, fireplace and large screen tv. We replaced the one table with just an ottoman for watching tv. The bathroom is separate next to the bathroom with a door. The bedroom is equipped with a queen bed with large wardrobe, plenty of cupboards for storage and wall mounted tv. The one cupboard was a laundry bin which we removed and replaced it with a shelf for extra clothes storage.

We RV it for six months so the washer and dryer are in the garage area. There is still plenty of room in the garage area for relaxing and storage.

We would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has a Columbus and your views pros and cons on the units. Thanks!
We are also looking for feedback from anyone on how to hook up two Shaw Direct satellite receivers in our Columbus.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley57 View Post
We are also looking for feedback from anyone on how to hook up two Shaw Direct satellite receivers in our Columbus.
I'm not a Columbus owner and will gladly bow-out if someone steps forward with better info than I can provide.

I'm also not a Shaw-Direct customer but I have reviewed some of their technical information. It looks like they do not have any technology that allows you to share a single coax wire for multiple receivers. Given that, the first question becomes: Do you have both Sat & Park-Cable connections on the outside of your RV, or only one connection that is used for both? If you have two connections outside, we can do it. If you only have one, it will be necessary to run another coax into your RV somehow.

(If your RV has "prep" for a roof-mounted dish, that's a whole other story. Those are normally very expensive and so I'm assuming you're not going that route.)

Do you plan to use a tripod-mounted dish, or something like a Winegard automated dish?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I'm not a Columbus owner and will gladly bow-out if someone steps forward with better info than I can provide.

I'm also not a Shaw-Direct customer but I have reviewed some of their technical information. It looks like they do not have any technology that allows you to share a single coax wire for multiple receivers. Given that, the first question becomes: Do you have both Sat & Park-Cable connections on the outside of your RV, or only one connection that is used for both? If you have two connections outside, we can do it. If you only have one, it will be necessary to run another coax into your RV somehow.

(If your RV has "prep" for a roof-mounted dish, that's a whole other story. Those are normally very expensive and so I'm assuming you're not going that route.)

Do you plan to use a tripod-mounted dish, or something like a Winegard automated dish?
Barry - thx for your reply. Under the storage compartment there is a feed for satellite and one marked cable. We are planning on going the tripod mounted dish route. Any assistance you could provide would be most helpful.