Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

First Long Trip Very Eventful!!!!

Well we planned a Trip to Wolf Pen Gap in Mena Arkansas about 6 hour drive from our house and this is how it started out and ended up.

Loaded the 2014 3650TH Columbus Toy Hauler up with food/drinks and the side by side and was waiting for the temp to cool down outside before hooking it to the truck. Around 9PM I moved the truck around and was attempting to hook it to the truck but one of the front electric level jacks wouldn't come up or raise. What?
So after a while of messing with it, it still wouldn't raise so I ended up having to take the level landing gear assembly apart. I found the gear had sheared a keeper pin off one of the gears. What to do? Well I measured the space in the gear where the pin goes and found a drill bit the same diameter as the pin. Cut and ground the drill bit into a new pin and reassembled the gear assembly. OK great its working like it should now. It is 1:30AM so I finished hooking it to the 5ht wheel on the truck. We had planned on leaving at 6AM. Went to bed and woke up a 5AM took shower and got coffee and we were on our way and next stop was 6 hours in Mena Arkansas. We arrived there at 12:45 and set up camp and leveler worked great.
Unloaded the side by side and headed down the road to Wolf Pen Gap for a long ride thru the hills and streams. Well about 9 miles into the wilderness a loud pop came from the rear differential. What now? The rear differential on the side by side had sheared a gear in the rear diff. Well dang, so we limped back to the RV. 1st day of our 4 day trip. Made it back to camp and loaded the SXS back into the toy hauler and was determined this wasn't going to mess up the other 3 days of vacation. We searched on the computer for other things to do and decided to take the truck site seeing in the mountains.
Friday morning headed out to take Highway 1 thru the mountain and it was a very nice beautiful drive. We seen 2 brown bears but they wouldn't stand still long enough to get a picture of them. Drive from Mena to HWY 1 all the way to Talihina Okla. then down 259 to Beavers Bend State Park and back to Camp. Very pretty scenery and we had a lot of fun and took lots of pics.

Saturday thought we would head to Hot Springs and see the sites so we headed out and along the way stopped and seen the Little Missouri Fall then on to Hot Springs. There was so much dust on the truck we thought we'd find a car was and rinse it off. While rinsing the truck off we found a stick sticking out of the front tire about the size of a pencil thru the side wall of the tire. It was hanging out of the tire about 3's. What???
Located a dealer about 4 miles away so headed there. Got there and they were very nice but only had one brand of tire that would fit my truck and wasn't the same tire as ours. So had no choice and got 2 tires so they wouldn't be miss matched. $600 bucks. Our truck is new with 1500 miles on it so you would think Ram would carry the tires that come on their trucks. Ok so now its 4:30PM and we didn't get to see anything in Hot Springs so we headed back to camp 90 miles away.
Got back and put the dog in the RV and went out for a good steak dinner!!!
Headed back home the next morning with no other issues along the way which was a good thing after the way it all had went so far!!!!
So our 1st long trip was very eventful and all but we turned Lemons into Lemonade as much as we could and it was some sour Lemonade at times. LOL
I hope the next trip will be a lot better and uneventful.
Order a new Lippert Lead Landing Gear repair Kit #146059 to replace the scared up gears in the leveler. I know its warranty but how long you think it would sit at the dealer before they fixed it. Not worth the $41 dollar part to wait on them.
Sorry to have rambled on so long and hope all your trips aren't like the one we just had. Here's a few pics of our site seeing.
Happy Camping to everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2169.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	82815

Name:	IMAG2237.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	82816

Name:	IMAG2247.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	82817

Name:	IMAG2252.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	82818

435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Your ability to handle issues is remarkable! Congrats.

Beautiful pics!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks ependydad
I didn't want to let Rhonda down she hadn't ever been there before so I was just trying to make sure she had fun either way and what ever it took. We had planned this trip for sometime and already postpone it once because of her work. She's an RN.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 07-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #4

Yes what a trip it was
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #5

We live in the DFW area and go to WP Gap quite a bit. If you don't mind me asking, where did you camp? We have a trip on the books for early October to Mulberry Mountain Lodge and Campground.
TexasFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

Coyote Canyon it was nice camping area 50 amp full hook up and sewer. $37.50 per night. Call ahead and she will hold you a spot. She also has cabins and you can ride your sxs down the road to wolf pen from camp. Nice camping spot and ours was a drive thru spot.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 07-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #7

I hate to read stories like this but I also love them as well. I know, oxymoron. SO glad you turned what could of been for most people bad trip into a lasting memory. We decided to take the kiddos out of school two years ago and take them to the beach for some camping. These campgrounds don't take reservations before Memorial Day so we just left a day earlier on our trip thinking all would be well. Get to Pismo and every campground was full! We were literally shocked as it wasn't a major holiday but spring break was starting that coming Monday. We found an older rv park, paid too much for it, unhooked, went to WallyWorld to get some microwave popcorn, a few 5 dollar movies and it ended up being one of our most memorable trips.

Thanks for sharing!
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
I hate to read stories like this but I also love them as well. I know, oxymoron. SO glad you turned what could of been for most people bad trip into a lasting memory. We decided to take the kiddos out of school two years ago and take them to the beach for some camping. These campgrounds don't take reservations before Memorial Day so we just left a day earlier on our trip thinking all would be well. Get to Pismo and every campground was full! We were literally shocked as it wasn't a major holiday but spring break was starting that coming Monday. We found an older rv park, paid too much for it, unhooked, went to WallyWorld to get some microwave popcorn, a few 5 dollar movies and it ended up being one of our most memorable trips.

Thanks for sharing!
Glad you were able to over come the bad events. Bad events sometimes lead us to happy times with our loved ones and memories are made. We look back it and say it could have been worse.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

An update;
I have the RV landing gears replaced and fixed the buggy all back up. Going to try this same trip again. We still have the 2 new truck tires on the truck that we had to buy so I think we are all set to try this again. Did buy 2 1/2 gallons of DEF for the new diesel truck and filled that thing up. Looks like Middle of Sept when it cools off a little should make a good trip.
Hope all is well with your camping trips.
Happy Camping and wish us luck. LOL
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Your ability to handle issues is remarkable!

2015 Nights Camped: 23
2016 Nights Camped: 27
2017 Nights Camped: 28
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent