Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
Cosmo's Dad

I'm a Dummy

Unhooked my 356 QLB and forgot to get the trailer end female connector out of the way. It caught on the fifth wheel hitch and popped it right off. I have no idea which wire goes where to reattach it. I looked up 7 pin wiring diagrams for 2012 Ford F350 but it doesn't help me much as some of the wires are a different color than what is coming off the trailer.
I want to try and reattach it myself before taking it to a trailer place. Any experts in here that might be able to help me out? On the trailer side I have a black, white, blue, brown, red, green and yellow wire. Which is for what?

Thanks in advance

1- Spoiled Rotten English Springer Spaniel
grooveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Infractee

Not sure if this helps you or not but this is how my truck side connector is pinned. Note the master keyway in relation to the colors/positions. I have no idea which color wire is doing what on camper side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401428873635.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	53795   Click image for larger version

Name:	1401428893415.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	53796  
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Site Team

As taken from etrailer.com. I would suggest taking a multi-meter or 12volt test light and probing the trucks connections to see if each function (ie turn signal, brake light, etc) match up to the location of each wire function in the pic.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

RV Industry Standard 7-Way Trailer Color Code

and

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-trav...ug-wiring.html

If you get the trailer wired back correct, here is how to use a jumper wire to test the functions to see if is correct before plugging back into the tow vehicle, since you have a battery in the RV and will have power:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

If you do NOT have power on the pigtail (and you most likely do not), it is because the current limiter that protects your camper from just this sort of thing did it's job.

Remove the ground wire from your battery while working on the pigtail to avoid shorting anything.

After you safely wire up your new plug and BEFORE you plug it into your truck, locate the limiter very near your metal junction box the pigtail goes into and reset the limiter if needed. (mine is under the pin box - the red "brick" in the photo).

Locate the reset pin on the side of the limiter and, if it is out; press it in till it clicks and stays in. If it won't reset, you may still have a short or the limiter has failed. Remove the wire going to the junction box and try to reset it again. If it resets; there may have been damage done inside the junction box when the umbilical was pulled.

WARNING - It is a JUNGLE in that junction box and inside "There be Dragons." Use caution and mark everything. Maybe even seek a "heaven help us" professional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0475 (2).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	53802  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Remove the ground wire from your battery while working on the pigtail to avoid shorting anything.
Lou saves the day again.

This absolutely should be done, and I totally forgot to add it in my response.

Way to go Herk.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Hopefully, no damage was done to the junction box wires. I had to go in there for a loose ground wire to the right side running lights and a 5 minute job took 3 hours (mostly trying to figure out how to close that box!).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Cosmo's Dad

Thanks for the replies! As it turns out it wasn't as big a deal to reattach it as I thought. The wire colors were marked on the plug I just didn't see it, and no damage further up the cable to the junction box. Put it back together and everything works fine.
You can bet I won't make that same mistake again!

1- Spoiled Rotten English Springer Spaniel
grooveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveman View Post
...You can bet I won't make that same mistake again!
That, my friend, is called gaining experience, which everyone who has camped more than once has learned on a multitude of errors some costly in time, money and frustration. One of the reasons if I am hooking up or unhooking and someone comes to visit, I just quit completely and go visit otherwise I will duplicate a dumb stunt I've pulled before by forgetting to do something.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That, my friend, is called gaining experience, which everyone who has camped more than once has learned on a multitude of errors some costly in time, money and frustration. One of the reasons if I am hooking up or unhooking and someone comes to visit, I just quit completely and go visit otherwise I will duplicate a dumb stunt I've pulled before by forgetting to do something.

Well sad, Coot! Ditto times a thousand.