Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #51

I sleep quite comfortably in my TT with a few loose screws, sawdust etc. None of it keeps me awake at nights, although night seems to be getting earlier with each passing year. If I was in my tent (stored in the basement) with the wind blowing & debris flying around or leaking, it would be a long night driving home.

After watching the storms of destruction go through the Midwest this weekend I am just glad my TT is setting on all 4 wheels.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #52
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I sleep quite comfortably in my TT with a few loose screws, sawdust etc. None of it keeps me awake at nights,
I do too, but it's all about pride of workmanship.
I felt good when a manufacturer rep. saw one of our projects and said it looked excellent. He didn't know that the project he looked at was normal for my crews. It would be great if manufacturers could strive for that same attitude.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #53

I'm curious about the workforce at the manufacturers. Seems many are there for a while, get laid off, get hired back, etc etc etc. I have the feeling that it's hard to maintain a dedicated, skilled group of workers in that atmosphere.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #54

I've replied often to these threads. I really like my trailer but things being wired wrong or not at all is not right. Not only does it mean someone did it wrong but also missed by quality assurance. My hot water heater was wired wrong in addition to many many other issues. Jayco has a nice product. We have many friends with Jayco trailers none of which had problems like mine. I purchased a FR product because we loved the layout and price. I guess the old phrase you get what you pay for applies. I would be embarrassed if products were wired wrong instead you get comments about it being a house in wheels or it is expected in the industry. How about some pride in a product!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsplace View Post
I've replied often to these threads. I really like my trailer but things being wired wrong or not at all is not right. Not only does it mean someone did it wrong but also missed by quality assurance. My hot water heater was wired wrong in addition to many many other issues. Jayco has a nice product. We have many friends with Jayco trailers none of which had problems like mine. I purchased a FR product because we loved the layout and price. I guess the old phrase you get what you pay for applies. I would be embarrassed if products were wired wrong instead you get comments about it being a house in wheels or it is expected in the industry. How about some pride in a product!
Not so fast buck a roo ....
my bosses son has a new jayco tt and the whole trailer has electrical gremlins.
You never know what may or may not work at any given time.
Been to the dealer 4 times so far.

Just sayin.

Turbs
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Not so fast buck a roo ....
my bosses son has a new jayco tt and the whole trailer has electrical gremlins.
You never know what may or may not work at any given time.
Been to the dealer 4 times so far.

Just sayin.

Turbs
You beat me to it. Our friends bought a Jayco at the same time we bought our Roo. They had a leaky tent end, malfunctioning converter, and a few other workmanship issues. We had no real issues with our Roo. I don't think FR is significantly better/worse than most others with these types of issues.

I think cost control trumps quality control in many cases and that isn't specific to any manufacturer.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #57

I guess mine wasn't made on Friday or Monday. I have had a few problems, but everything seems to have been wired properly. I had to replace my kitchen sink and found a lot of sawdust and wiring scraps, etc... Other than that, my trailer has been OK. It's 2 years old now, and some of the vinyl-covered screw-cover buttons are showing their poor quality... the vinyl is disentigrating... but all other stuff seems to be wearing OK. I lived in it for 8 weeks when we moved, and we've used it several weeks worth of days since, so I guess I was just lucky... As long as the fixes are simple, I can handle it. I just hope I never have frame issues or exterior wall cracking, etc...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #58

I had the same wiring mess with my stero. I had to rewire all the speakers. Turns out every wire they crimped never made contact. So I recut the wires and used electrical twisty nuts and retaped them nicely. I also got a friendly welcome first time out camping when I found that they didnt connect the water pump and water flooded the floor. That was a fun repair. Thank goodness i carry a toolbox everywhere!

Bottom line - my wife and I love our 351 but i am totally with you on the lack of quality.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #59
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncamilli View Post
I had the same wiring mess with my stero. I had to rewire all the speakers. Turns out every wire they crimped never made contact. So I recut the wires and used electrical twisty nuts and retaped them nicely. I also got a friendly welcome first time out camping when I found that they didnt connect the water pump and water flooded the floor. That was a fun repair. Thank goodness i carry a toolbox everywhere!

Bottom line - my wife and I love our 351 but i am totally with you on the lack of quality.
And yet the manufacturer has their defenders of this type of workmanship - I wonder how much more the cost of your unit would be if the wires were probably crimped and the water pump connections were properly made.

I'm starting to grind my teeth
Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncamilli View Post

Wow... I haven't checked any water stuff yet, but I will be damn sure to as soon as things start to thaw in a few months. For now I'll leave it winterized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
And yet the manufacturer has their defenders of this type of workmanship - I wonder how much more the cost of your unit would be if the wires were probably crimped and the water pump connections were properly made.

I'm starting to grind my teeth
That would be really really really expensive. I mean, you're talking about roughly an hour to go through a checklist of things to make sure the quality is what you expect it to be. Based on the idea of a person making $50k, which might even be a tad high for a line worker, that's a whole $24 the company would have had to pay for an hour of work. Seems as if that's a tad too much for FR to be able to pay to assure quality of their product.