Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #21

It's interesting to read that someone who owns a FR product other than a Columbus that had a problem with too much grease and brakes had to be changed. This is a problem we've been discussing for well over a year on this and other forums. Grease seal failures are becoming common place, along with no brakes because of grease seal failure.
Lippert/Forest River are fixing them as reported, but there's been no attempt to pro-actively get in front of the problem. Root cause seems to be the grease seal which Lippert installs is failing allowing grease to be plastered all over the brake shoes. Result, little or no brakes. What is it going to take for FR and Lippert to take this issue seriously, an accident?
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
Where was your dealer in this?

They get paid to do a PDI, so if it was a mess that way, start with a complaint to your dealer.

If it was a wholesaler, then you got what you paid for....
Agreed. Our trailer was very clean when we picked it up - no signs of plastic or sawdust anywhere. Also no oil smell from the furnace. I don't know if it was luck, or if the dealer just took the time to clean it up and run the furnace ahead of time (and probably do some other things we didn't notice).

And we had about a dozen little workmanship issues - nothing serious, but annoying that things didn't fit right or were loose. Took it up to the dealer at the end of the season. The service tech went through the camper with us, made a list, said it was typical stuff, fixed everything, no-charge. It was obvious they had seen these things before and knew exactly that they were doing. Didn't take them long to fix.

Seems more like you are buying a stick built house than a vehicle built on an assembly line with the goal of zero defects. I don't know what FR does or doesn't do as far as improving quality of workmanship and reducing warranty defects, but regardless, when the dealer and the manufacturer can work together to do a good prep job and address any other issues in a timely matter, it makes the whole process much better.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #23

Forest River and their sub-contractor Lippert both have real and documented quality control issues that are not being addressed at either of the factory's. It seems both are willing to let the dealer, or owner, find the problem and then figure out how to fix it. In most cases FR/Lippert agree to pay for the warranty, however, they put little to no value on the customers prospective of quality/ do it right the first time. Their concept of having the Amish people produce XX number of units a day and then go home is simular to the way certain unions used to work, until they realized they customers/consumers would not buy their products if they lacked quality. The workers on the RV line are doing the bare minimum to produce a low level of quantity, satisfy management, and management let's the units go out the door in a poor condition. We on this forum and others are the vocal minority. Other owners are experiencing these same issues but either have not found a place to complain or are just dealing with it. Unfortunatly, someone may be injured because of FR/Lippert's neglect.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.z View Post
Forest River and their sub-contractor Lippert both have real and documented quality control issues that are not being addressed at either of the factory's. It seems both are willing to let the dealer, or owner, find the problem and then figure out how to fix it. In most cases FR/Lippert agree to pay for the warranty, however, they put little to no value on the customers prospective of quality/ do it right the first time. Their concept of having the Amish people produce XX number of units a day and then go home is simular to the way certain unions used to work, until they realized they customers/consumers would not buy their products if they lacked quality. The workers on the RV line are doing the bare minimum to produce a low level of quantity, satisfy management, and management let's the units go out the door in a poor condition. We on this forum and others are the vocal minority. Other owners are experiencing these same issues but either have not found a place to complain or are just dealing with it. Unfortunatly, someone may be injured because of FR/Lippert's neglect.
X2 ,,....but do not complain about it here, we really like our 5er but the issues dictate it get sold

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As mentioned a proper dealer/customer pdi would have prevented most of this rant.

Welcome to the forum since there was no formal introduction before this thread.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
As mentioned a proper dealer/customer pdi would have prevented most of this rant.

Turbs
And some folks just like to rant!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Talking

We recently (about a month ago) purchased our 3rd RV. Three difference types, manufacturers, makes and models. (hybrid, low mid range TT and upper mid range 5er).

When picked up, all three experiences were the same:
  • All 3 RV's were purchased off the showroom floor
  • RV was clean when picked up
  • PDI was conducted by reasonably knowledgeable staff and reasonable thorough
  • One or two issues identified during PDI, were addressed on the spot

We took the RV home, then spent the weekend going over it in detail. We expected to find, and address numerous issues like...
  • Sawdust creeping (blown) out from many openings or behind drawers
  • Entertainment systems were not wired correctly (usually satellite)
  • Brakes were not adjusted correctly
  • Numerous nut, bolts, screws and fitting were found to be loose.

But we've largely found these are easy to work on. By doing it ourselves, we learned about our RV, we *KNOW* it is fixed correctly and to our satisfaction.
Best of all, we get to use it, instead of waiting to get it back from the dealer.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.z View Post
Like I posted in this thread (#11) this topic comed up every so often, customers complain, and then all is quiet again. Sort of like a volanco.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Like I posted in this thread (#11) this topic comed up every so often, customers complain, and then all is quiet again. Sort of like a volanco.
Old faithful ..... but less active ?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #30

Maybe, Turbs. But I would have said less faithful and more active. Mr Z has good points. Not just Columbus as there are other sites with wheel/grease/brake problems. Cleanliness is not just a FR problem. Our Dutchman (first TT) was a vacuums dream come true, if your name is Hoover! Lots of dust, pieces of trim, the "donut holes" from plumbing runs, etc. Our next, FR Grey Wolf, was similar but less dust etc. No major problems (unless one calls a new set of axles and new tires not major) that were not replaced by warranty work. Well done FR for the follow up. The Columbus has been pretty good. Not too much dust except in the basement area behind the walls where all the electric, plumbing, etc is located. Vacuum worked fine, no overtime for it. A little silicone in the shower track so it didn't leak onto the floor (the drain holes were in the correct orientation). Again, no major instances. I am looking forward to a good winters camping (FL so no effn snow).
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
B47

Quote:
Old faithful ..... but less active ?
Old Faithful isn't a volcano - my meaning was that we complain about these things with the FR products from time to time and then the complains stop - maybe that's what FR counts on - I don't know.

But some of these stupid and minor things people encounter with their FR products are just inexcusable - why can't the sawdust and material scraps generated during the manufacturing process be cleaned up at certain points?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #32

Off topic:

Old Faithful isn't a volcano in and of itself; however, it is part of a volcanic system.

Yellowstone is in itself a giant Supervolcano.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
After reading all the post-----------------

After Reading all the post, I still will stick with the Forest River Product I have!
Sure, I have removed sawdust, metal shavings, found loose screws, leaks in the fresh water lines, saw dust in the light fixtures, blown grease seals.
But hey, that is what makes this web site work. If you had purchased another name brand, you would find the same thing to B **ch about. But after attending the rally in Goshen in August along with all the good friends and fellow and ladies that own a Forest River products. Where else can you
have fun complaining about your RV saw dust and anything else that you tow down the road at highway speeds and say to yourself "I love my FOREST RIVER PRODUCT" . I fix a lot of stuff on my unit, sometimes "self inflected"
but I would not buy another name brand simply because, I am dedicated to
the "FIX ANYTHING AT THE RALLY". You simply can't go wrong can you?

I guess I have said enough, OLE COOT will be educating me shortly about polishing my awing support poles under warranty, god bless him and his ideas
to improving our RVing.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Off topic:

Old Faithful isn't a volcano in and of itself; however, it is part of a volcanic system.

Yellowstone is in itself a giant Supervolcano.
Just as the debate about "water heaters" vs."hot water heaters" rages on here,I just we can argue about this also - however, I would venture to guess that most people think of Old Faithful" as being a geyser and not a volcano or part of a volcanic system, but Thank You for the correction.

I guess next we will be arguing about whether it's called Supper or Dinner,although that horse has been beaten to death here before.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
...I guess I have said enough, OLE COOT will be educating me shortly about polishing my awing support poles under warranty, god bless him and his ideas to improving our RVing.
Warranty expired 1 hour after receipt of product.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #36

Well, i guess-------------------

I guess I will have to show up at yo winter hang out here in Florida to get the POLISH job that was supplied at 1/2 hour after arriving by UPS!

They be pretty dull now!
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I guess I will have to show up at yo winter hang out here in Florida to get the POLISH job that was supplied at 1/2 hour after arriving by UPS!

They be pretty dull now!
Sounds like a personal problem. Get out your buffing wheel. Mine look great.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #38

Florida does have-----------------------

Alright OC, it is going to get ruff now! Florida does have a LEAMON law! Warranty in the small print (WILL POLISH FOR TWO YEARS") after shipment!

Yo place or mine?
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Alright OC, it is going to get ruff now! Florida does have a LEAMON law! Warranty in the small print (WILL POLISH FOR TWO YEARS") after shipment!

Yo place or mine?
I'd wear him down like a axe on a grind stone.....
Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #40

Quote:
I'd wear him down like a axe on a grind stone.....

Someone better get a BIGGER stone......