Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #1

New 2010 Palomino 27 SBU

Just picked up a new 2010 Puma 27SBU Toyhauler. We are looking forward to the 2012 camping season.
Attached Thumbnails
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #2

We have a 2012 and love ours. We replaced the little table between the two big chairs with small dresser that can double as table. That was a big help...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

Hello, Newbie here to the forum and also to owning a Toy Hauler. My wife and I are going to be ordering a new Puma 27SBU. I see both of you use 3/5 tone and a 1 ton truck as a tow vehicle. I'm going to be using a 1/2 ton with either a Hemi or the Eco-Boost, am I going to be Under Trucked?
jimvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

Very nice trailer Jonnys. It is too bad these toys that we put in these nice trailers are messing up the trailers and create smells!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvic View Post
Hello, Newbie here to the forum and also to owning a Toy Hauler. My wife and I are going to be ordering a new Puma 27SBU. I see both of you use 3/5 tone and a 1 ton truck as a tow vehicle. I'm going to be using a 1/2 ton with either a Hemi or the Eco-Boost, am I going to be Under Trucked?
We had an 11' Kodiak slide in camper on our 3/4 ton diesel before. We found that on the gravel road that we travel there was too much side to side sway when hitting pot holes. Besides with the extended cab and diesel I could only legally carry about 1500 pounds in the box, so we looked for a long time to find the dually.
The toy hauler loaded up is over 11,000 pounds. I think the question that people should ask about the tow vehicle (TV) is, "what if"?
What if I blow a tire, can I control my trailer with my TV? The other consideration is, not the towing of the vehicle, but the stopping of the vehicle.
Consider the terrain you plan to tow through.
Read through many of the posts on the wesite here and just look at the signatures of what people are towing with.
Tow vehicles are like opinions everyone has one and they will tell you why they prefer the one they have.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #6

I've been reading a lot on this and another forum I found, I think I may have to move up to a 3/4 ton for towing. The truck is also going to be my daily driver too between that and the price difference I was trying to stick with the 1/2 ton. I also have to keep keep my better half feeling comfortable and feeling safe.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Jimvic,

You COULD just get away with a 1/2 ton, but you would have to keep it light. 3/4 ton would better nd does not necessarily have to be a diesel, but diesel will definitely helpful.

One of the things you may want to ask yourself is whether to get 4WD or not. The pardette and I do a lot of camping at unimproved camping places. Almost boondocking, but not as wild as some boondockers do. The first time I took the SBU out I got it stuck in 2WD drive mode. Hit the 4WD mode and it just walked out of the ruts.

Gassers can do the job like I said earlier. However, they produce their horsepower farther up the power curve than a diesel does. It is much more important to select the correct rear end when you do that. I am not sure what that ratio should be. Diesels are so torquey they pretty much have only one rear end.

On gensets, a number of people have suggested the external gensets. The reason is the genset by is located under the master bed. I have not been in any that have a Onan Microquiet in that bay, and maybe it would be OK, but the Hondas in the truck bed ot the generators under the trailer are very quiet.

The other negative about the Onan is they are intending to use propane. While that helps with the carburator, it is harder for me to refill the propane than gasoline. The fuel station holds either 10 or 15 gallons which would keep the Hondas running for 3 to 5 days.

Something else to consider is that next model up in this line of Palaminos is a fiver without slideouts. Believe it or not it is lighter than the 27 SBU! That is because they use more metal construction than the SBU.

The downside is that model only has a 50 gallon fresh water tank. We link the 100 gallons since we do a lot of dry camping and when we go to Wyoming this summer the 100 gallon tank will be a plus.

One other tip. Test the fuel station monthly. Crud gets into the pump. I installed some wire nuts on the pump so I could reverse the flow. That fixed a $300 pump.

If you or ordering your SBU be aware that Puma does not install 12 volt outlets. Why they don't is beyond me since this is a toyhauler. I would make sure they did put in at least two.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

New Member here, lots of good advice on this forum,

I've been looking at the 27SBU also, intend to pull it with a 2011 F150 Supercrew FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.73 rearend, everything about this trailer seems to be within the towing capacity for this TV. I will be putting a Harley Street Glide in the cargo area, wet weight is around 850, at the most I will have two motorcycles back there if friends come along, so worst case 2000 which is an estimate including gear and misc related to the motorcycles.

Dry hitch weight is 902, TV hitch capacity is 1050 with a WDH
27SBU dry weight is 6930, cargo capacity of 4082, I don't think I'll ever put that much in it, I'm sure it starts adding up fast....
According to the Ford Towing Guide my TV is capable of 9600 since I do not have the Max Towing Package, I'm still confused on what the Max and Standard package differences are, any help on that would be great

6930 + 2000 in motorcycles and misc, 8930, which only leaves 670 for other things, assuming propane full is 300 with the bottle weight, down to 370, that leaves room for 44 gallons of water and haven't even put clothes, food or "necessities" in it yet, I would probably never tow with much water in the tanks since I don't ever intend to use it in self contained boon-dock mode. We would most likely be using it locally at the lakes which we would have the kids and not the motorcycle or travel to a MC rally with worst case cargo in back as described above.

I had this discussion with my wife the other night, we always try and accommodate everyone, but let's be realistic here, most of the time the couples that say they are going either back out at the last minute due to other obligations or meet us there because they cant leave when we do, so if we plan for our family of 5 without the Harley OR the wife and I with one Harley it seems to be within range, I think I will be pushing it if we attempt to take another couple, two Harley's and all of the gear.

How does the weight in the cargo area affect the hitch weight, if it is behind the axles it seems that it will make it lighter.

I can't swing a new TV and didn't buy this one thinking I would ever be in the market for a toy hauler, so what do the professionals think, can I pull this rig if I am careful about the way I load it?

Thanks
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Hi Pjones,
I have basically the same TV with the max tpw pkg and it hauls great, no sway if loaded properly and power to pass. I'm in Michigan so no big mountain to deal with yet, maybe next year going to Sturgis. I have a full dresser HD about the same weight as your bike, just be sure to get it over the axle if you can. My first trip I had to stop and move the bike forward because the trailer was swaying too much for my comfort level. I don't haul water either and I empty both holding tanks before we head home. I don't know if you could fit 2 big bikes in the cargo area, I think weight wise you'd be pretty close to maxing your truck out and space wise it would be very tight. I was suprised how much room the bike takes up. If we go with another couple, I think we'll put the second bike in the P/U truck bed. My wife and I absolutly love the trailer, after years of trying to haul everything and tent camping on the scooter the trailer is a dream come true and the AC this summer was a must have.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvic
Hi Pjones,
I have basically the same TV with the max tpw pkg and it hauls great, no sway if loaded properly and power to pass. I'm in Michigan so no big mountain to deal with yet, maybe next year going to Sturgis. I have a full dresser HD about the same weight as your bike, just be sure to get it over the axle if you can. My first trip I had to stop and move the bike forward because the trailer was swaying too much for my comfort level. I don't haul water either and I empty both holding tanks before we head home. I don't know if you could fit 2 big bikes in the cargo area, I think weight wise you'd be pretty close to maxing your truck out and space wise it would be very tight. I was suprised how much room the bike takes up. If we go with another couple, I think we'll put the second bike in the P/U truck bed. My wife and I absolutly love the trailer, after years of trying to haul everything and tent camping on the scooter the trailer is a dream come true and the AC this summer was a must have.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Thanks for the reply Jim, very, very helpful.

We went to Sturgis for the first time this year in my buddy's 40' diesel pusher pulling a 24' enclosed trailer, now you know where I got the "bug"...... It was a blast, highly recommended. We go to Fayetteville, Ar every year for the BBB, started thinking about hotel costs and figured I'd check into THs and maybe make 3 months worth of payments instead....... That's my story and I'm sticking to it, the wife buys it, haha

Thanks Again, I am feeling better now about this
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #11

We've talked about Stugis for years, I'm really hoping next year it happens. Where are you located and what is BBB?
You won't regret the T/H, our first night at a rally it was hot as heck getting set up, after we finished with the air on and a cold beverage we both couldn't stop grinning.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #12

We are in North Texas, BBB is Bikes, Blues and BBQ, this will be our 4th year, it's growing fast, supposedly 3rd in numbers, Sturgis, Daytona and then BBB, I would bet they get the numbers by including all surrounding areas, its fun but nothing like Sturgis.

Like I said above, we want the TH for local family outings to the nearby lakes and then for the wife and I to take off for the weekends and take the bike when the kids are with their mother, lots of camping around here, and I remember those camping trips when I was growing up, my kids need that, this technology has got them all hypnotized, get off that Xbox and let's go see the great outdoors and catch some fish......
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #13

BBB sounds like fun. Wish we were closer for that one. We've been to Daytona, Laconia and an Easy Rider Rodeo in Chillicothe OH (really wild) and a couple of local bike weeks in the Midwest. We are really looking forward to more rallys and just plain camping this fall and next summer. Good Luck
Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #14

Well............. We're headed to Houston in the morning (4-1/2 hours away) to look at a 2011 27SBU, I've put a deposit down on it and have everything else lined up (funds, WDH hitch, brake controller, mirror extensions), if it's everything they say it is it's coming home with us, ok.......... 99% sure. I've been asking questions and looking at the pics several times a day and comparing them to pics of new models.......... Even he kids are like "really, you're looking at those pictures again!!", they don't have a clue we are thinking (99% again) about buying it.

Here is a link to some pics, check it out and see if you see anything I may have missed,

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/travelt...shed-22123.htm

So..... Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me, anything special I need to look for? The disclosure said it was only used (or been towed) for 1000-1200 miles and the seller has not had any problems or claims on it. PPL has done a PDI and it passed without any issues, they are going to walk through everything again and some when we get there. I denied the extended warranty, figured with the year that it would be expired before anything major was to happen. We're taking a DVD and a cd to test the stereo, have a list of checks to do, obvious stuff, tire condition, jack handle, in one of the pics you can't see the right side ramp door latch handle so just a reminder to make sure it's there, I think they came new with a cargo mat, you know the drill.....

We're excited, just hope we're not disappointed when I get there. Probably won't sleep much tonight, kids will be groggy eyed when we hit the road at 4:30am wondering what the ****, haha, the fun of parenting............
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #15

Bought it, it is in great shape, everything worked, the handle on the ramp door was missing but had been replaced before we arrived (I found the old one in the storage area up front). We cleaned it on Sunday, seems like most of the stuff was leftovers from when it was built, sawdust, etc.

Maiden voyage this weekend.

Plug for PPL Motorhome in Houston, they were excellent to buy through, highly recommended.
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969

Bought it, it is in great shape, everything worked, the handle on the ramp door was missing but had been replaced before we arrived (I found the old one in the storage area up front). We cleaned it on Sunday, seems like most of the stuff was leftovers from when it was built, sawdust, etc.

Maiden voyage this weekend.

Plug for PPL Motorhome in Houston, they were excellent to buy through, highly recommended.
perfect !
Good luck and have fun !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #17

The maiden voyage was great, everything worked............ Eventually.

I couldn't get the fridge to run on propane while towing to the site, not sure how this system works so I'll have to read up on that. I adjusted the height of the ball one hole up for the trip home, pulled great, I had noticed that the nose of the trailer was down a bit so I decided to fine tune that. Privacy curtain rail in the back is coming out of the ceiling, have to fix that.

I built some wheel chocks, worked like a charm.

Need to get my setup installed for the Harley, Arkansas here we come......
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
I couldn't get the fridge to run on propane while towing to the site, not sure how this system works so I'll have to read up on that.
I had that problem my first trip out this spring in my last TT. Turns out it was my grandson had pushed the battery kill switch. No 12 volt, no frig on propane...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King

I had that problem my first trip out this spring in my last TT. Turns out it was my grandson had pushed the battery kill switch. No 12 volt, no frig on propane...
Thanks, I'm not sure if I have a kill switch, if I do I don't know where it is. I went out today and tried it again, the "check" light didn't come on but t didn't appear to strt running either.
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #20

your idea for the wheels chocks is quite something. I am going to built some also for my trailer. I have a double set of the plastic green stoppers and they work more or less. Specially when I park in a gravel pad.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote