Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #21

Sorry it took a bit to get a pic up here but you can see a 4 kw onan fits right in perfectly. The exhaust is run out the bottom and to the right in the picture about six inches or so past the side of the rig. Inside the noise is noticeable but not at all loud. I am going to insulate the top side and back with mass loaded vinyl (look it up on ebay or google) just to give me a little bit more sound protection. As far as the transfer switch, campingworld has many different flavors but even the most basic automatic switch will work fine. It fits behind the main breaker panel under the fridge and automatically switches to generator when it senses power or the generator running. There are three electrical connections. Shore power IN, genny power IN, and load OUT. The out connects to the breaker panel where shore power was and you connect shore and generator to their inputs. Very straight forward install and clean. Hope this helps out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00188.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	26916  
harleycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #22

What about the fuel line? I understand about the electrical part. I just haven't got a lot of info on the two fuel lines. I think one is a supply and the other is a return.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #23

So I had to go back and read and it seems that there is only one fuel line on this particular machine. It still has a carb of sorts which eliminates the need for a return line. Hopefully your fuel cell is prepped for a genny connection, if not I would suggest you have a dealer do that for you.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #24

harleycamper - was your puma equipped with a transfer switch or did you buy one? Also do i have to pull out the breaker panel to see behind it and look for the transfer switch?
ncamilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #25

no it was not equipped from the factory...it was added when the generator was added. If you didn't get a gen from the dealer, more than likely you won't have a transfer switch installed. If you upgrade to install one, it would however go behind the breaker panel. At least it was in my 351THSS.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #26

I looked at my 356 today. It already has a auto transfer switch and is wired up the front of my camper for a generator. I just have to pop a hole in the metal box for the wire and hook up my gas lines. Im sure the 351 is very similar. There is a 4 x 4 box in the main lower front compartment where the wire is for the generator.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #27

I will take a look at mine when i get home. Is the 4 x 4 box located beside the battery?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #28

No. mine was in the main front compartment that you access from the sides. Right behind the LP door. If yours is the same, the box was mounted at the top of the compartment, passenger side of camper, hard right of the inside of the door.

THere is a sticker on the box about generator wiring.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #29

Found my transfer switch. Sound it sounds like the 351 is different than the 356. My transfer switch is already attached to the breaker panel. So I have a transfer switch and fuel. What I need to find now is a junction box where the generator wires run to so I can tap into that. Here is pic of the transfer box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	26958  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #30

My transfer switch is identical to your pic. The box I am talking about is the end of the wire that you will hook to at the generator end.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #31

Still no luck in locating the junction box at the front of the camper. I have fuel lines and a transfer switch with what appears to be generator wires already connected. So all that i am missing is locating the junction box at the front where i wire in the generator. I have the 351 so I do not have the pass thru storage department like harrinc. I have looked everywhere including the front storage compartment and traced all the wires. I feel silly that I cannot find it. I must be overlooking it.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #32

Update - I went camping this past weekend and stumbled on the junction box. Of all places on the 351 it is located in the entertainment center! Yes you read it right - the bottom cabinet of the entertainment center. Puma did a good job of hiding the junction box. Now i am going to do some shopping around for an Onan Generator.

Quick recap for those looking to install a generator in a 351 - if you have fuel lines already run to the front in the battery compartment, a transfer switch located on the back of the circuit breaker, and a junction box in the bottom of your entertainment center then you are all set to install a generator like factory.

Thanks for the help everyone! Great forum
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #33

Its funny how on your model it is in the entertainment center and on mine it is in the storage compartment close to the generator box. They sure are consistent.