Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #81

Only one reply so far and it was a guy with a Fuzion. He said he only need a few inches and simply used washers between the chain mounts and the bed frame. Not a bad idea if you only need to raise it a hair.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #82

That's a good idea. May have to try that.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #83

Update on the bed raise. I went and looked at the way the beds work. I had thought about getting a couple of 2 x 4's and running them across the brackets, but I still needed more raise. If that is all someone else needs then go that route. The way I am going to do mine is I am going to remove the screws from the wall that hold the whole system to the camper, and raise all of it. There are 4 small metal brackets that the top bunk rest one when you lower the beds, they are adjustable to different heights. They are located in the rail where the chain is. I will set it back to the original height. Now granted the lower bunk will be closer to the top bunk, but it is one more bed that is not there when we go camping.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #84

My ramp door to the toy area is slick, especially if it gets wet. What have you guys done to keep from busting your but on this? I saw some tape that you can put down to help get grip, thinking of trying that. Any other ideas?
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #85

Lets us know if you find something that works. We will do the same.....I do not know if tape will stick since it is not a smooth surface??? The door can be slick....

Also I have sent off for hinges to allow the golf car roof to be lowered 5 inches & raised back into place.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandRChambers View Post
My ramp door to the toy area is slick, especially if it gets wet. What have you guys done to keep from busting your but on this? I saw some tape that you can put down to help get grip, thinking of trying that. Any other ideas?
2 things.. First, it seems as though most of the guys on the UTV forums just get individually inventive and figure out ways to get their machines in. Most lower the air pressure in the tires which on those machines can drop it a few inches and others do things like the washers etc. I still know I read somewhere where a guy removed the actual mounts from the chain and remounted them higer on the chain. This of course made the all the way down position higher but got him more clearance but I have no idea how to do that.

Second, with regards to the ramp door, what about something like grip tape like they put on smooth floor ramps. Or maybe even a gritty paint on solution like a garage floor paint with grip??
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
2 things.. First, it seems as though most of the guys on the UTV forums just get individually inventive and figure out ways to get their machines in. Most lower the air pressure in the tires which on those machines can drop it a few inches and others do things like the washers etc. I still know I read somewhere where a guy removed the actual mounts from the chain and remounted them higer on the chain. This of course made the all the way down position higher but got him more clearance but I have no idea how to do that.

Second, with regards to the ramp door, what about something like grip tape like they put on smooth floor ramps. Or maybe even a gritty paint on solution like a garage floor paint with grip??
Lowering the air pressure in the tires & or washers is close but not enough for my golf car clearance. The manufacturer refused to change anything about the beds while the TH was being built. So I do not want to void my warranty.....I am currently taking the cart roof off each time. Which only gives me about 2 inches to spare. I am going to try the roof hinges they claim to give 5 extra inches. That means cutting the carts roof supports but its doable.......

I doubt grip tape will stick to the ramp door as the surface is rough. Don't know if paint would stick either going to look into that.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #88

Good discussion guys, the grip type tape is what I was going to try. I'm also going to look at using washers too. Last resort will be the hinges. Oak let me know how the hinges work, degree of difficulty etc. I don't like the idea of letting the air out or taking the roof off for every trip. I'll let you guys now what I come up with this weekend, I'm going to try and come up with a plan because camping season is only weeks away!!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #89

Ok I have a plan. Replacing the pins with bolts and using washers and nuts to raise bed a few inches. That should do the trick for me.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #90

Changing topics a bit back to heat in the garage. I am still stuck on this. I have not pulled the trigger on a toy hauler quite yet. Went to an RV show last weekend and saw amazing TH's that made me drool and were $30K more than the puma so out of the question. I just sent an email to Puma to see if there is anyway to order a Puma with heat in the garage or add it to the existing heat system after the fact. I know it is simple to use a space heater but I just have too many concerns. When we go ATV riding I plan to leave the dogs in the garage area and if they were to knock the heater over, chew the cord, etc etc we could have problems (the least of which being no heat) Also for long road trips we will often just pull into a truck stop for the night and go to sleep and just run the heater off the battery. Again, these are not that big of a deal but I figured I would ask. It would make this a much easier decision if they had heat. I also wish they had a master bedroom slide in the 351. If they came out with a model that was roughly $5K more (assuming that is what a slide is worth) and added that to the master so you had room to move around I would be totally sold. One of our ongoing complaints about our current travel trailer is that we have to leave the bedroom to get dressed because there is no room. We end up with clothing all over the camper :-) Anyway, Ill let you know what we find out.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #91

kfp673, have you considered the 356 instead of the 351? From what I have read people chose that one because of the room in the bedroom. We didn't like it because the bathroom is in the bedroom area, it didn't come with the couch, and I wasn't crazy about sliding glass doors with small kids! For what you want, yea you are looking to purchase one of the more expensive TH's (extra slide etc). Do you go out in the cold a lot? I have done the same, stopping overnight at Flying J, but in my case I would just prop the door open or put the kids on the couch if it's cold in the back.

Here is something to compare to. Check out this dealer. They have a raptor for $41k New RVs for Sale in Ringgold, VA .

I liked the raptor but at the end of the day, didn't want to pay an extra 14k for it and the wife liked the Puma better.

I am interested in what the factory has to say about the heat in the rear. I'm sure a vent can be added. Come one man, camping season is almost here!!

Good luck
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #92

Thanks F&R. I have looked therough the 007 RV website many times and spoke to them about the trailers but I am with you. I dont think I can justify the extra $10K plus. Heartland torques are probably the best priced out of that group and they have some nice trailers but I need 11' plus garage so that puts me in a whole new price point. As for the 356, yes I have looked at it and it is a very nice camper but I agree with everything you said above minus the sliding door. I actually really like the slider and wish the 351 had one. I dont mindt the bathroom up front at all (most 5ers actually have this) but I do like the living space of the 351 better. Not a big fan of sitting at the table to watcch TV etc. My other concern is the pin weight for my 2500 truck. As for the heat I do plan to use this year round. Right now we don't camp much in the winter but that is only because I cant tow my UTV and camper at the same time. I ride all year long and actually since we have a boat I do more riding in the winter then the summer. It's like anything else, you either have to spend a crap load of $$ or make some concessions. I also have a camper with negative equety slowing this process down a bit as well but once I make the decision and the numbers look right I will pull the trigger. It would also be nice if the local dealers here in PA would be anywhere close to the OH dealers for example. Seems like my local dealers 351 negotiated price is more then the online listed price of some of these larger dealers in OH and southern VA. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #93

kfp, I totally understand. It took a lot of back and forth for me too. I saw a torque here in Va that was a good price but someone beat me to it. I was about 35k, I think it was a leftover. Man you have all the toys, a boat too. Maybe one day, but then how am I going to get all that stuff out on a camping trip! ha ha ha

As for prices, I don't think anyone is going to beat or come close to the Oh prices. 007 Rv was close on some units, but as you can see I ended up making the trip, and my brother in-law went up a few weeks later at got one. He was given a 18k show price at the Rv show here, went to OH and got the same unit for 13k! Wow...what a mark up!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #94

We have the 356 QLB & love it...... Where can you buy a nice 36' toyhauler for under 30K out the door. We like the sliding glass doors, easy to use both rooms when we leave our dogs we just turn off / unplug the heater in the toyroom it doesn't get that cool during the day & we don't camp alot in the winter. Our Dogs probably wouldn't bother it anyway. The lack of a vent in the toyroom is no big deal to us it does have the AC vents. Lots of storage. Didn't think we would like the opn bathroom but we do .....there is a curtain you can pull across at the end of the bed.

This is our second Puma only reason we sold the other one was for a TH & room to take the kids & grandkids. 4 Queen beds & the table bed are nice to have.....

We live about an hour or less from 007RV in Ringold VA went there once but we liked & ordered our PUMA from our small dealer close to home better.

Did decide to put a ceiling fan in it though...... let ya know how that works out.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #95

Yea let me know how the ceiling fan works. Where area you putting it?
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #96

don't know 100% yet probably in front of the AC .... It will be 12V.... got to wait for it to get here....& warmer weather

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #97

351thss

Love the new trailer. Yeah the bed height is a problem but I'll figure something out. While loading the trailer for this weeks trip I discovered I cannot seem to find the switch for the water heater that is listed in the owners manual. I cannot seem to get the durn thing to light. I know they showed me during the PDI. Think I'm losing it. There are also a few light switches on the walls that I cannot figure out what they control. I guess there will be some discovery along the way.
By the way, I tried to convince Palomino to build me a custom 351 to accomodate my needs but they refused so I wound up getting mine from dealer stock at a great price. So the bed height will just have to go on the drawing board for full consideration. This is a great forum with a lot of good people so the answers are out there.
Anyway, really looking forward to this trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	351THSS.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	25469   Click image for larger version

Name:	PUP.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	25470  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #98

Enjoy................

Hope you like yours as much as we like our 356 great trailers for the price. We ordered ours & got what we thought we wanted (Didn't miss too many options). Have had it 6 months now. I still say where can you get a 35' toyhauler for under 30K out the door.........

The switch for the water heater should be on the wall above the sink / stove at the panel in the kitchen. The electric side is outside when you open the panel (somewhat hidden....)

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #99

rabraz, congratulations!! I'm jealous you are going out and I'm a couple weeks away from my first trip in ours. Hey as for the beds. Not sure how much more height you need but I modified mines by simply replacing the pins that hold the beds in with bolts. I put 3 inch bolts, stacked washers and nuts on them, then put the bed back on the bracket, and secured the top with washers and a nut. That raised the beds a couple inches and does not seem to be putting any stress on the brackets or the rails. I can walk under the beds now at their highest point without bending over, so I "should" (fingers crossed) now be able to get my golf cart in as I only needed a couple inches. I'll try and add the pictures later to show the difference.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #100

Glad to hear that you seem to like the Puma 351THSS we are graduating from a travel trailer toy hauler to our first 5th wheel. We ordered this model from a dealer in Michigan and was told it might be available in mid April. We are very excited and plan to use it extensively in our retirement that will start later this year.
toylover is offline   Reply With Quote