Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #161

Puma should use you as a commercial! Camping is all about the outdoor fun anyway. Sounds like a great campground.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke5rbd View Post
We picked up our 351 Saturday. During the walk through I asked the guy about the switch. He said the only switch he knew about was the one to raise and lower and it is a rocker switch with neutral off in the center. He did show me holes in the frame to put pins to keep them from coming down. Of course it doesn't come with them.
The brakes didn't work very well either. When I got home I jacked up each tire and adjusted the brakes. Both back tires had grease slinging from the axle seals and one of these the wheel could still be turned after adjusting and the controller manually energized. Figure the shoes and magnet are covered in grease. Problem is I am over a 100 miles from dealership. This would mean 400 miles to get it fixed as it would need to be left. While I was under I checked the tires and two of them had bulges about 1 1/2" wide from rim to tread area, and the tire tread was bulging about 1/4" in this area. Needless to say I am not driving this junk anywhere. WestLake Super ST tires good ole China stuff. All the tires looked fine outside.
After replacing the grease seal and shoes and cleaning all the grease off the brake magnet and stator on the one wheel I knew wasn't holding I pulled it to the tire shop and had new tires put on it. On the way to the tire shop it still didn't brake right. In fact went by the tire shop as it wouldn't stop. This got my attention. When I got back home, I pulled all the brake hubs and none of the other seals were leaking, but replaced them anyway. The magnets and stators and shoes all had grease on them. I think what had happened was some trainee at Lippert was greasing the magnets as everyone knows you don't need metal to metal contact. Either that or someone was deliberately sabotaging them for what ever reason. The knots on the tires were the joints where the tires were pieced together. I still feel better with the USA made tires. Probably could have run them for a year or so, but wasn't worth the worry to me.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #163

I will be using my fuel station for the first time this weekend. Anyone used theirs yet? Simple as it sounds to use? Thanks
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #164

Dealer said they had put a few gallons in to test generator. I used the fuel station to add gas to my ATV just to see how it worked seemed just fine.
toylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #165

I don't have an onboard generator so plan to use it to glass that and atv
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandRChambers View Post
OK third time out in my Puma...getting use to to it but why did they put the bathroom switches outside bathroom??? But loving the unit!
Unless you put them in the shower is probably the reason. I thought the same myself.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #167

Quote:
After replacing the grease seal and shoes and cleaning all the grease off the brake magnet and stator on the one wheel I knew wasn't holding I pulled it to the tire shop and had new tires put on it. On the way to the tire shop it still didn't brake right. In fact went by the tire shop as it wouldn't stop. This got my attention. When I got back home, I pulled all the brake hubs and none of the other seals were leaking, but replaced them anyway. The magnets and stators and shoes all had grease on them. I think what had happened was some trainee at Lippert was greasing the magnets as everyone knows you don't need metal to metal contact. Either that or someone was deliberately sabotaging them for what ever reason. The knots on the tires were the joints where the tires were pieced together. I still feel better with the USA made tires. Probably could have run them for a year or so, but wasn't worth the worry to me.
Well made it to NC Smokies no major issues on the trip. The Firestone tires got 1 1/2 miles per gallon better than the WestLake. Can't explain that. Got in a rain storm out of Birmingham and the Prodigy brake controller showed SH which means shorted. When got out of the rain every thing back to normal. I think the plug to truck got water in it from under the bumper. I will seal that up before I head home. I didn't have time to do a shake down run before heading out. Boy did I get a lesson. The shower didn't work as the diverter valve leaked so bad. The microwave would work sometimes and cut off during a warming cycle. Hard to get to start. Both drains on the sink leaked. the caulking around the baskets bad. Couldn't get the garage door down. Had to lower bed a little as it had the aluminum plate hung. Still scratching head on that one. The shelves in the oven wouldn't come out to put in correct height slots. with lots of tugging and prying, finally got it out. Had to remold the lip around inside on front to get them back in. Also noticed the outside decals have bubbles under most of them in the valleys. The garage beds are definitely not memory foam. They remember where you sleep and have a permanent sag.

Now for the good stuff. Plenty of room to sleep 6 which we did for the first week. It rained for the entire first week we were here and no leaks and the awning will dump water if it gets too heavy. The refrigerator, hotwater heater, TV, awning, and both air conditioners work great. I do like the led lights throughout. The switch locations is another story. Bathroom lights outside the bathroom. The front bedroom light switch in the kitchen. I guess I am just too picky. By the way they checked all this stuff out at the dealership the day I took delivery. At least they showed me a checkoff list
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #168

New Truck

Decided to buy a new truck. 2012 F350 leftover. Gotta a great deal. This one has the factory fifthwheel prep and I am waiting on my hitch. Apparently Reese has a backorder on the Elite Slider. Its been three weeks and I am going nuts wanting to take the 351 out. I asked the dear wife if she would like to take the pup to the coast and she declined. Told me she was officially spoiled. None of the kids or my friends could make it so I decided to go by myself. So off to the coast I go. Fishing was good. Had a really good time. The pup is ok but I have to admit the 351 is just too sweet. I hope the hitch comes in soon or I will be taking the pup back out again. I would lay money on my Honey going next time. She was a bit envious when I told what a good time I had.
Hope everyone is having a really great season.
Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PUP.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	36050  
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #169

Congratulations on the new rig.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabraz View Post
Decided to buy a new truck. 2012 F350 leftover. Gotta a great deal. This one has the factory fifthwheel prep and I am waiting on my hitch. Apparently Reese has a backorder on the Elite Slider. Its been three weeks and I am going nuts wanting to take the 351 out. I asked the dear wife if she would like to take the pup to the coast and she declined. Told me she was officially spoiled. None of the kids or my friends could make it so I decided to go by myself. So off to the coast I go. Fishing was good. Had a really good time. The pup is ok but I have to admit the 351 is just too sweet. I hope the hitch comes in soon or I will be taking the pup back out again. I would lay money on my Honey going next time. She was a bit envious when I told what a good time I had.
Hope everyone is having a really great season.
Happy Trails!
I have a 2012 Dodge with short bed and standard 5th wheel hitch and have clearance between cab and fifthwheel cap. Can turn way past 90 degrees. The cap is rounded on the end I guess is what does it. Make sure your diverter valve in the bathtub works. Mine didn't. Also none of my brakes worked as all had grease on the shoes and magnets and only one had a bad seal.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #171

Storage question for you 351 owners. My previous TH had "basement" storage, but the 351 has none. I hate having my chairs and things all over the place in the garage area. I tow my golf cart and try and stack items on either side but the movement from travel take care of that. I have used tow straps to strap them together but trying to come up with a better way to store things. How have you guys adjusted to the storage issue on the 351? Yea I'm sort of neat freak who likes things organized.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #172

Quote:
Storage question for you 351 owners. My previous TH had "basement" storage, but the 351 has none. I hate having my chairs and things all over the place in the garage area. I tow my golf cart and try and stack items on either side but the movement from travel take care of that. I have used tow straps to strap them together but trying to come up with a better way to store things. How have you guys adjusted to the storage issue on the 351? Yea I'm sort of neat freak who likes things organized.
I haul a motorcycle and just strap them to the floor tie downs. I load the bike to one side and use the other tiedowns. You don't have that option with a golf cart. I assume you are talking about folding chairs. In your case you could mount a couple of boards horizontally on the street side wall and put some small folding tie downs on it and strap them to it. That is what I had in mind until decided to put the bike on the side. I will probably put the dinette down and put them on it when hauling two bikes. Just have to clean their feet to keep the upholstery clean. I came from a Sierra fifthwheel that had a 6 ft wide pass through storage. Boy were we spoiled. Quite a shock trying to fit all the stuff in with only the front storage and the small compartment on the side.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #173

YEa K5rbd, I was thinking of some sort of wall mount to strap them too. I'll figure something out over the winter. Just hate having stuff all over the place. Thought about having a weld shop build me something underneath on the curbside.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #174

Quote:
YEa K5rbd, I was thinking of some sort of wall mount to strap them too. I'll figure something out over the winter. Just hate having stuff all over the place. Thought about having a weld shop build me something underneath on the curbside.
Had the same thoughts. Could make out of some aluminum diamond plate as is on the front and inside the cargo area. Just have to weld up frame and cover it with the diamond plate and seal up where it won't leak. Probably little costly don't know.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #175

Quote:

I have the PUMA 356 (basement not big enough for chairs) but my golf car has a flip down rear seat....... I flip it flat & strap the chairs in the back of the golf car....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #176

We carry two quads in the garage of our 351. We slide the lawn chairs under one of the quads between the wheels.
toylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #177

Right now I put chairs on floor, on golf cart, anywhere. When I have the golf cart and motorcycle, I want things more secure. Don't want to scratch my paint on the bike!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #178

Storage

I have a lot of camping gear I like to take on every trip. Takes up most of the garage. I have started scaling back as I will eventually get a golf cart and I can see the storage problem. So far I am able to manage even with the ATV in the garage. It is a tight fit though. I installed tie downs strategically on the garage diamond plate then use bungees to hold things in place. Just enough tension to keep things from moving. Seems to be working so far and no problems with anything rubbing. Do wish there was a bit more storage on the 351.
Hope everyone has a great season!
Happy Trails!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	351THSS.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	36138  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #179

Slide Hitch

Quote:
I have a 2012 Dodge with short bed and standard 5th wheel hitch and have clearance between cab and fifthwheel cap. Can turn way past 90 degrees. The cap is rounded on the end I guess is what does it. Make sure your diverter valve in the bathtub works. Mine didn't. Also none of my brakes worked as all had grease on the shoes and magnets and only one had a bad seal.
I used a Pullrite Superglide on my 2011 F250. I always watched pretty closely as I would manuver the 351. To the point I would move a few feet and get out to see just where the front cap was in relation to the cab. I feel fairly confident a few times I may have hit had it not been for the Superglide. I could be wrong though.
The Superglide is a great hitch. Being a autoslider makes it a no brainer.
I did feel it was a bit "loose" going down the road. A lot of road feed back.
All that said, I have wondered just how much smoother a fixed hitch would feel going down the road. If after towing with a fixed slider for a while and I feel a bit more confident about the clearance I may try a fixed hitch.

I appreciate the input Ke5. I have had others tell me the clearance with the 351 was such they did not think a slider was necessary.

Hoping everyone has a great season!
Happy Trails!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	351THSS.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	36143  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #180

Shortbed and fixed hitch

Is anyone else pulling their 351 with a shortbed truck and a fixed hitch? I've decided to give it a try as the Reese Elite Slide is not going to be available for a while.
I am actually thinking about the fixed hitch and maybe go with a new sidewinder pin box.
Anyway, just trying to figure out exactly what I can get away with or perhaps more to the point, without.