Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Refrigerator in gas mode

New to RVing, can anyone explain how the refrigerator runs when in gas mode, ours doesn't seem to start and the "check" light eventually comes on. I let it run an hour last week on our way to Arkansas, didn't have anything in it since I wasn't sure it would work, when I pulled over to check it......it wasn't cooling at all

I've read the simple directions posted in the freezer door, gas is on, fridge button is on and in gas mode, even started the burner on the stove to make sure air was out of the line.

When we do get to the campground and plug in to the 30 amp it works, just can't figure out how it is supposed to run on gas while trailering.
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969
New to RVing, can anyone explain how the refrigerator runs when in gas mode, ours doesn't seem to start and the "check" light eventually comes on. I let it run an hour last week on our way to Arkansas, didn't have anything in it since I wasn't sure it would work, when I pulled over to check it......it wasn't cooling at all

I've read the simple directions posted in the freezer door, gas is on, fridge button is on and in gas mode, even started the burner on the stove to make sure air was out of the line.

When we do get to the campground and plug in to the 30 amp it works, just can't figure out how it is supposed to run on gas while trailering.
Either on auto and not hooked to shore power or just on gas mode it should be working on propane as long as the check light isn't on.
Takes atleast 12 hours to cool down to a good cool temp.
An hour isn't going to cut it.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Either on auto and not hooked to shore power or just on gas mode it should be working on propane as long as the check light isn't on.
Takes atleast 12 hours to cool down to a good cool temp.
An hour isn't going to cut it.

Turbs
Agreed, if we go camping on a Friday I will turn my fridge on Wednesday afternoon. Just to make sure it gets good and cold. When I travel which is usually never more than a couple hours I will turn off the fridge right before we leave and it will stay cool until we get there then I will fire it back up with propane.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
I do the same thing but I have to cycle the frig about 3 times before it will light. If I have nothing else to do I'll stand by the outside door and listen for it to fire. I think I have to put it on auto, then power off then on then gas to clear the check light. Then it goes through the lighting cycle again. Mine also has to be running or calling for cold air for it to light. Maybe they all do that. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, obviously I am being impatient or something is wrong, I'll play with it this weekend.

After the hour on the road when I pulled over to check it, the "check" light was on, indicating that it did not fire. I was wondering if my battery may have been too weak but I was under the impression that it would charge off of my vehicle. I didn't have it plugged in at the house before I left, other functions that use the battery seemed to work.

If I have it plugged in and put it in gas mode it should have plenty of juice to fire it, I'll go outside and pull the cover and watch it from there.

I am assuming that there is no danger if I put it in gas mode and it doesn't fire, I would do this with the fridge empty so I don't spoil anything in it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Site Team

When I am lighting my fridge after the rig has sat in storage, I open the
LP tank, go inside and turn on the gas water heater. I listen for it to light
and when it lights I shut it off. Then I turn on a stove burner and attempt
to light it. Once I've got gas and the burner lights I turn it off.
THEN I turn on my fridge. It still takes a while to light but if I listen
carefully, I can hear it clicking away and eventually I can hear the burner
light.

This may work for you or you may have something wrong with your refer.
You can shut it off and back on to reset the board and make it try to
light again. IF you continue to get the fault light it might be time to
seek professional help.

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Your fridge requires a solid 11.5 or more volts to open the gas solenoid.
Your truck's charge line should provide at least 13 volts at all times.

Check the voltage at the battery when the camper is connected and running (not on shore power) and see what voltage you have.

The lights on the fridge will "work" with 6 volts or more of battery but the fridge will not.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
Your fridge requires a solid 11.5 or more volts to open the gas solenoid.
Your truck's charge line should provide at least 13 volts at all times.

Check the voltage at the battery when the camper is connected and running (not on shore power) and see what voltage you have.

The lights on the fridge will "work" with 6 volts or more of battery but the fridge will not.
Thanks, I did notice the time before last that the inside courtesy light was not operating when I opened the fridge door, sounds like I may have had a weak battery when I have been attempting to run in gas mode.
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

Going on a trip next week, so this weekend or Monday I will turn on the fridge on ac. After it cools down, I will then check it with propane to make sure that function works at home. I will then load it up with stuff, put water in the ice trays. I put in a few frozen bottles of water to help the process.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
CampingQueen

Last time I took my camper out, it took 3 or 4 tries to light the fridge, and that was AFTER I had already lit the burners on the stove to help pull the LP gas through the gas lines.

When the camper sits a while the gas lines get moisture in there and it can take a few tries to get the fridge to light.

First, light the stove and that will help burn out the moisture and will tell you if you (like me) have forgotten the obvious step of opening the valves on the gas cylinders.

Once you've turned on the stove and let a burner go for a minute on 'high', then turn on the fridge, to the "GAS" setting. You will hear it try to light 'tick,,,tick...tick...tick...' several cycles. If it can't light, then the 'check' light will be flashing. Turn the fridge off. Wait about 30 sec-1min, then turn it on again. Let it try to light. If it still can't light, wait again, then turn on again. It may take 3-4 cycles for the fridge to finally fire up. You'll hear it - the hiss of the gass, then the click click click of the electric start, then the 'WHOOSH' of it finally lighting.

If it doesn't light after several tries, AND you know you have gas by testing out the stove burner(s), then it may be a low battery. You do need a enough juice in the battery for the electric start to fire. Consult your fridge owner manual for other troubleshooting tips and if all else fails it may be time for a service call.

Once you get the fridge lit, it takes 24-36 hrs to cool down completely.I usually try to start mine up a day or two before a trip, or if I"m pressed for time I create a cold-sink by placing 3-4 double freezer zippy gallon sized bags of ice in the fridge, and one in the freezer, along with any cold foods I want to take along, to get the fridge cold quickly.

Also on the same thought wave... I've had the same issue with getting the water heater to fire up on propane. Same deal applies - if it won't light the first time, turn it off, wait 30 sec or so and then turn it on again. Sometimes takes a few cycles for it to light if I haven't used the camper in a few weeks.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Site Team

sounds like you got a pretty poor PDI, if you thought the vehicle would recharge the battery in a short time and that the fridge should be cool in a hour.

is this a new trailer?

suggest you slow down and do some driveway camping before taking off.
get familiar with the RV systems and make sure everything works.

unless you have a tow vehicle with mods to the wiring, it will only trickle charge the battery at best.

and most of us, plug in the trailer the day before, set the fridge on auto and wait at least 12 hours for fridge and freezer to cool. freezer usually cools quicker since it's smaller. remember, it cools by absorption, not by a compressor, which is how your home fridge cools.
then we put the fridge on propane for the drive to the campsite.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #12

The PDI was mediocre, I bought it used from PPL in Houston, they do the PDI before you get there, plug them in the day before you arrive so the fridge and air are ginning real good, then they go through it with you when you get there, they explained the gas mode, probably showed me how it worked, but if it was plugged in and switched back to auto mode before it lit it would have reverted to shore power anyway, I don't think they were hiding anything, but it was a pretty quick walk through show and tell. I've been exploring everything on my own, so far this is the only issue I haven't been able to figure out on my own, through this forum I have had all of my questions answered, emailed FR several times, they are not very helpful in my opinion, seems like they have a boilerplate response...."contact your nearest FR dealer".... "______ makes those, contact them".

I keep the unit in storage so I don't have the luxury to plug it in very much ahead of time.

Like my wife says...... "in the next house"..... that list is growing, large lot, 3 car garage and now enough driveway to keep the trailer at our residence....add a a power outlet close to that spot.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #13

The fridge works, I don't think the battery had enough to fire it, I was leaving the battery hooked up while in storage for a week, I decided to unhook it last time I put it up, started everything when I got there and could tell it was working by the time I got home to load, about 15 minutes.
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #14

Lots of good info already presented here, but here is another thought. Is your fridge in a slide room??

Ours is and it worked great during the PDI, but after the first trip the the check light was on....Turned out that the gas line pinched when the slide was in due to a routing problem. A quick fix once we knew what was going on. Works everytime since then.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #15

My fridge is the second gas appliance in the line from the tanks to the stove. Mine is piped water heater, fridge, furnace, then stove. When I change tanks, or let system sit for more than a month without the gas on, I have to turn the stove on, and get a good flame, purging "old" gas or any air in the system, before either my fridge or furnace will fire properly

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote