Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #1

running on batteries

SO ive been wondering what actually runs on the batteries, well this am i found out. we blew a breaker at my buddies house while running furnace, coffee pot, and microwave. so the furnace stayed on, coffee pot, microwave, and tv went off, so my question is why didnt the tv stay on? the last few campers i have had the tv was 12v also. anyway i can make this happen?
also with the furnace being 12v also i wonder how long the batteries will last while its running?

thanks
Rob
Old 10-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #2

Look at the plug on the tv does it plug into a 110 outlet? Some TVs are 12 volt and some are 120 and some can be either. Second question about running the heater off the batteries all depends on the battery. How old is it, what type is it and how much the heater runs will determine how long it lasts. Might get you through 1 night.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
Site Team

A lot of RV's now have 120 volt tv's. However, a lot of those tv's use a power brick and are natively 12 volt DC. You can check if yours is and if it is, you can run a 12 volt receptacle near the location and use that if you must watch tv when the power is out.

As for how long the furnace will run before it discharges the batteries. Well that all depends on how long it has to run per cycle, how many amp-hours of battery power you have, and what else you have running on 12 volts. The blower is a pretty good power hog so normally a day or so if you have a pair of deep cycle batteries and it's pretty cold out.

Tags
battery, batteries