Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Cosmo's Dad

Didn't really notice the odor until we stopped and set up at our campsite a week ago. The tank was maybe 1/3 full if that. The odor occurred during the week or so we were in the campground.
We are back now and the trailer has been parked a couple of days with an empty tank. I don't notice the odor in there now. If it's a leaky seal, and coming from the black tank, wouldn't the odor be more of a raw sewage smell, instead of a urine smell?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #12

The other thing worth checking is the roof vent line. Possibly it might be plugged.

'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveman
Didn't really notice the odor until we stopped and set up at our campsite a week ago. The tank was maybe 1/3 full if that. The odor occurred during the week or so we were in the campground.
We are back now and the trailer has been parked a couple of days with an empty tank. I don't notice the odor in there now. If it's a leaky seal, and coming from the black tank, wouldn't the odor be more of a raw sewage smell, instead of a urine smell?
Not much experience in this regard, just seems like spilled liquid sewage would be more prone to smell like its contents. I'd seriously investigate the vent connection, won't be the first to leak. Circa 2009 GT last summer. Same symtom. Bad practice to leave content in either tank. Huge energy movements are created in unbaffled tanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #14

We still get that smell. when it gets humid the carpet/padding lets off that odor! mine has done this since day one. even my new hallway carpet in my house gives off that odor when it gets humid.
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #15

Not sure where you live but did you have to run the heater at all on that trip? I ask because we had the same situation and it turned out to be mice in the ducts. When the heater was on it smelled bad. Not a fun clean up job!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Cosmo's Dad

We did run the heater. I suppose mice is a possibility but we had traps set all winter and no evidence of mice in the unit at all. I'll check the ducts just in case, don't want hantavirus.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #17

You gotta stop peeing on the dang floor.... lol.... Kidding....
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
MI Camperz

I was going to ask if anyone in the household took Ambien ...crazy things happen in the night for some people who take it...but then they don't remember...like getting up and making a pot of stew, or going for a drive in the car....I'm cereal!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Cosmo's Dad

Talking

Nope, nobody peeing on the floor or taking Ambien.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #20

Take a penlight and look into the back of the toilet, where the flush water line enters the bowl. If you see liquid inside the bowl casing and get your smell, you have a broken toilet. The Dometic 300 series is a two-piece toilet, and they have a tendancy to break at the bowl-pedestal joint. This was the source of our urine smell. We decided to go with a higher quality one piece, if we can find it. Apparently Thetford makes a good throne.