Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Wiring Harness

Ok guys send me some pics with what you do for the wiring harness from the 5th wheel to the truck. I do not want to put a hook up in the bed. I just want to use the bumper hook up. I need a way to keep the harness from laying over the tailgate and rubbing.

2015 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4X4
2016 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351THSS
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
Dear Black Lab Ruby
leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
. I need a way to keep the harness from laying over the tailgate and rubbing.

Put a harness in the bed....
Sorry, I know that's what you don't want to do, but it's the best place for it.

Otherwise. Maybe some light springs to hang it along the nose.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

I ma with Kenny on this one. The cord from your 351 naturally wants to go to the left bed side and when doing so there is virtually no way for it to get tangled up. I carry coolers and gas cans behind the 5th wheel hitch when towing and still have no problem with the wire harness getting tangled up.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Use a bungy cord to hold it up and away from the tailgate. I always plugged into my rear plug on my ford, chevys and gmc when i pulled goosenecks and my puma 5er and my sabre 5er. I Just use a bungy to hold the slack. I also make my own 5th wheel gates and that can make routing the cord alot easier having a notched out area!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

What's your issue with the plug in the bed?

I guess you could put the time into a bungee cord setup, but the in bed plug is nice. In tow trucks and 5 years I've yet to break the plug in the bed if that's what your worried about. And the beds in both trucks are used, and sometimes abused.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #6

No matter how you route it,if you cover it with some split poly wire loom,you will never wear thru the cable.It will wear a hole in the tailgate first! I dont run a tailgate. I built a hinged ,two piece tailgate of sorts that drops into slots in my bed liner. Its 2 pieces of 2x6,hinged with a pair of slide bolts to hold it up if I need to. I did move my bumper plug to the top of the bumper to keep it out of the crap thrown up by the rear tires.My harness just plugs into it,then I coiled the excess up and zip tied it in a loop.If anyone wants to see the tailgate I can take a pic and post it tomorrow.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
No matter how you route it,if you cover it with some split poly wire loom,you will never wear thru the cable.It will wear a hole in the tailgate first! I dont run a tailgate. I built a hinged ,two piece tailgate of sorts that drops into slots in my bed liner. Its 2 pieces of 2x6,hinged with a pair of slide bolts to hold it up if I need to. I did move my bumper plug to the top of the bumper to keep it out of the crap thrown up by the rear tires.My harness just plugs into it,then I coiled the excess up and zip tied it in a loop.If anyone wants to see the tailgate I can take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Sure let's see it!
I like not having a normal tailgate because of viability, easier access and i dont have to drop it to hitch up my gooseneck or 5er.
I used a 2x6's for years across the beds of several of my trucks in the slots the factory had. I made this gate so i had more room for my tote tank in the bed on my old '05 duramax.
I'm using a 2x8 (cause it was laying around and i didn't have a 2x6) on my new GMC. Of course my backup camera doesn't work with no tailgate, so i will be making a new gate for it with camera accommodations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1451797397695.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	97183  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #8

Here are a couple not so good pics,I have to go back to the shop tonight so I'll try again.You can barely see my raised trailer receptical in the lower left corner of pic #1.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2113.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	97205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	97206  
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Here are 2 more.one showing the plug in,and a decent shot of the tailgate latch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	97270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	97271  
Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Be cause of the factory placement of the inside bed plug-in, I made up a 2' extension cable.....even with an air gate, it was/is 2" to far forward. Also was given a gate from an early 70's Chevy..After reconturing the outer ends to match the Dodge bed, cut 6" out of middle and welded back together....use 2 lock'n style gate hasps that take a key to unlock
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring