Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

1/2 Bath black tank stink

Looking for a plumbing diagram for 2012 Sierra 365saq. Particularly the rear 1/2 bath into the black. I am aware that both the toilet and sink drain into the black tank. There is no outside kitchen, and the kitchen sink drains into the galley. The trailer has a black tank gas stink that permeates under the 1/2 bath sink. There is indeed water in the trap and toilet, and the air valve has been replaced for that sink. My suspicion is a cracked drain pipe somewhere near or below the floor, or the connection of that sink drain into the black tank is no longer sealed, allowing gas to escape the tank. Does anyone know if the sink drain is plumbed through the floor and then directly into the top of the back tank? The roof vent has been visually verified open with an inspection camera.

A diagram would be even better.

My response, via e-mail, from FR consisted of "We do not have wiring or plumbing diagrams." I find it unlikely, as without a diagram, a tech could just run wiring and plumbing wherever they like. If that is indeed how FR production works, my next one won't be a FR product.

Thanks for the help in advance.
piperarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Doesn't exist and and that's pretty common throughout the RV industry, not just FR.
If that's your opinion, then your list for your next RV will be a very short one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

That does not help with determining the plumbing of that 1/2 bath. So the RV industry does engineer out drawings to determine placement and design of systems, components, needed supply, and manufacturing efficiency? The trailers and motor homes are essentially condensed homes. I like this FR, and maybe just expected more from a manufacturing process.
piperarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Team

I was simply commenting on your statement about FR's email.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Had a friend - 5th wheel - stink. His problem proved to be the laundry unit - stuff built up in the drain from the washer to the tank - started stinking up through the drains. Don't know if you even have laundry facilities, but thought I would pass it along. Good Luck.
Ken Halloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

Check your toilet by looking in the back below the back of the seat. I had a defective toilet in my new vengeance. After fighting with the dealer who had no clue I called the toilet manufacturer gave them my serial number. They told me I had defective toilet and sent me a new one. Problem solved. You will see fluid in that hole if you have a defect.
rebryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Diagrams for plumbing or electric??

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperarrow View Post
Looking for a plumbing diagram for 2012 Sierra 365saq. Particularly the rear 1/2 bath into the black. I am aware that both the toilet and sink drain into the black tank. There is no outside kitchen, and the kitchen sink drains into the galley. The trailer has a black tank gas stink that permeates under the 1/2 bath sink. There is indeed water in the trap and toilet, and the air valve has been replaced for that sink. My suspicion is a cracked drain pipe somewhere near or below the floor, or the connection of that sink drain into the black tank is no longer sealed, allowing gas to escape the tank. Does anyone know if the sink drain is plumbed through the floor and then directly into the top of the back tank? The roof vent has been visually verified open with an inspection camera.

A diagram would be even better.

My response, via e-mail, from FR consisted of "We do not have wiring or plumbing diagrams." I find it unlikely, as without a diagram, a tech could just run wiring and plumbing wherever they like. If that is indeed how FR production works, my next one won't be a FR product.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Diagrams for any type of plumbing or electric is not going to happen for any brand or model of rv (unless you own a motorhome) so you like everyone else is left in the dark. But to your issue, I did read your note and yes it is never a nice thing to have sewer gas smells inside your rv, but I really question your statement ( I am aware that both the toilet and sink drain into the black tank.) as to have a sink drain into a black tank is very strange. Yes it can be done but strange. I have included a link that shows your coach has TWO 108 gallon gray tanks, with this much tank size I believe your sink drains into this not the blank tank.

Now to your issue of smell your can have a GREY tank smell so bad that it appears to be a black tank, and this case it just needs to be cleaned well. You can use dish soap and some water softener to help clean your tank, then add some kind of tank fresher and you should be ok, if the smell continues you might need to exchange your trap with a "hepo valve" these have been used for this kind of issue and in most cases will stop all odors.

So good luck with your smell issue they can be very unpleasant and then Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank