Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
jdadoug

10 gallon Suburban

My day doesn't look so good this morning........
I got up early to enjoy a fresh cup of coffee and discovered a "dark looking water stain area" on my oak flooring in the kitchen of my Cardinal.
So I open the door and drawers to the area where the hot water heater is under the sink, only to find more damp carpet.

Thing is, I cannot find a single drop of water dripping or "hanging" from anything!! Carpet is wet around the vent stack and off to the right of the hot water heater. And the plywood board under the hot water heater isn't wet. I'm at a loss of where the water is coming from
I've checked :
1. Outside of hot water heater (door area and burner) and its dry
2. Inside and under the hot water heater
3. Under the sink and all plumbing and water lines
4. Pulled the Galley drain valve (not a over full tank, I think)
5. Didn't come from above (over full sink)
6. Vent stack is dry
7. Didn't spill anything above on kitchen counter top
8. Foam around the hot water is dry (where I can get my fingers to)
9. Just happened over night, wasn't there when I went to bed.
10. This is on a 2001 Cardinal 27RKl, 10 gallon Suburban with DSI
jdadoug
Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Did it rain recently?

Where is the air conditioner air handler located? (above wet area?)

Did you flush tanks recently?

Remember water travels to a low point to collect. The wet carpet may not have been the source, just the destination of the water.

This thread may help.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...leak-9985.html

BTW, I have since MET "Woody" and found him quite unlike the Cheers character. He is dedicated, smart, and hard working. Also, the reason the air handler is caulked to the ceiling is to prevent air leaks which has since discolored the ceiling around the handler by me not re-caulking it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
jdadoug

HW

Those are a few questions I forgot to include......rain, air conditioner, tank flush.
1. No rain, I did inspect the back wall for rain leakage as I was looking under the cabinet area (I have a rear kitchen)
2.AC has been off, cold snap here in Kansas over the weekend) been running the furnace.
3. I did flush the black tank the night before, but that's way up front in the bathroom area.

But I did find the leak

I had run some hot water to rinse the coffee mug out and heard the hot water heater kick on........ then sat down to dink on the computer and then went over and started putting the drawers back in place.
Then I just happened to stick my hand in for the last time and feel around.

I felt Water!!! Come to find out, the top hot water fitting above on the hot water heater was dripping. Gave it a little cinching and it stopped
Thank you Jesus!
Didn't want to have to buy a hot water heater and really didn't want to have to put it in!!!!
So now I can go into the house and continue to work on the bath and kitchen remodel so we can stop living in the camper.
Thanks again Herk......jdadoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Did it rain recently?

Where is the air conditioner air handler located? (above wet area?)

Did you flush tanks recently?

Remember water travels to a low point to collect. The wet carpet may not have been the source, just the destination of the water.

This thread may help.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...leak-9985.html

BTW, I have since MET "Woody" and found him quite unlike the Cheers character. He is dedicated, smart, and hard working. Also, the reason the air handler is caulked to the ceiling is to prevent air leaks which has since discolored the ceiling around the handler by me not re-caulking it.

Tags
suburban