Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #21

you just spelled shiny asian way. No problem

Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
daydreaming about camping

$4.35 later....

I have a general aversion to taking anything to the dealer, so with trusty Milwaukee 1/4 inch impact in hand and 9 year old daughter at my side I figured let's take the whole thing apart, can't break it anymore.

I removed the pump itself from the floor so I could get to the pump head, and removed the input and output lines. I then disassembled the top of the pump. It looked new, no signs of any obstructions etc. the rubber diaphragms moved easily, and a looked to be creating a good seal. I powered it on for a second and felt it move air through. Hmmm.

I decided the proper way to check the input hose for blockage was to put it in my mouth and try to pull water up. No problem, got water and some of that nasty pink stuff. Not my brightest moment.

I reassembled the whole thing, still no water pulled. Having established that the intake line was not blocked, I next decided maybe the line from the pump to the filter was blocked. Removed filter to check for any blockage and pumped water through from filter side using garden hose, no blockage.

At this point I had ruled out all blockage etc. I decided to reassemble and fill the entire system with water to rule out a problem with priming the system. The pump quickly filled the system with air.

lightbulb! Somewhere it is pulling air.

A little more diagnosis and I felt like the 90 degree elbow fitting at the pump was leaking air. Trip to Home Depot for a PEX fitting (plastic nut, but brass elbow) and problem fixed. Pump works great.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #23

Process of elimination.

Thanks, for the report and happy conclusion, I was loosing sleep over "your" problem. Was it your daughter that pointed out the hole in the elbow?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Thanks, for the report and happy conclusion, I was loosing sleep over "your" problem. Was it your daughter that pointed out the hole in the elbow?
lol - no but she saw me loosening a water line and went tearing off for a towell ' just in case.' Guess she knows me by now...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #25

Good job. Dealer would cost $$$$ and you would have kicked yourself over a cracked elbow. Possibly a bit of water left in elbow and it froze and cracked. Isn't Pex great to work with?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #26

I am not sure why you refer to it as pink oozing stuff...it is just pink antifreeze (nontoxic)....blowing out the lines is asking for trouble. In this country you will get some broken elbows by spring.. I have used antifreeze in every unit for 30 years. I suggest you have a valving problem.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #27

Is it supposed to be the consistency of Smuckers Grape Jam?

And no, I HAD an air leak in a PEX elbow. All fixed now.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #28

Peanut butter and grape jam.

The pink stuff I use has the same viscosity as water...maybe a tad thicker. Never had it jell-up....yet.

Tags
12 Volt