Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

12v water pump not making pressure - but pumping

We just picked up a 2010 Flagstaff HW27SC last Thursday. It was used from a dealer. It had been winterized. I read through the rather scant instructions in the owners manual and proceeded as such:
-made sure the water filter was removed
-filled the underfloor water tank (closed petcock as this was left open)
-turned on pump, waited several minutes
-tried water at the tap

Thick pink ooze came out which I assume was the winterizing fluid. However it never flowed water. Just slow flow of ooze. Then it started to bubble and push air. I could hear it pushing air into the underfloor water tank. The site glass on the inlet side of the pump is full of what looks like petroleum jelly residue and no water. It will not pull water from the tank.

I hooked up a hose and the sink/shower and outside shower work fine from city water. However the pump is not pulling water from the tank.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

Look at the valves. Close the winterize bypass valve, and be sure the others are open that should do you.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

when I began the bypass for the hot water heater was open, and the hot water heater was closed off. I opened these valves and closed the bypass thinking it might help, but it did not.

I run in on city water to completely fill the system, the hot water heater (which works excellent) etc.

However the pump still will not pull from the fresh water tank, even with water already primed in the system.

any other ideas?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Sounds like that pink ooze is plugging up your line. Disconnect the "out" side of the pump and then make sure the pump is pushing water through. If the pump is doing it's job and sending water through, then you have an oozed-up line somewhere further down the line. Good luck
Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

"thick pink ooze" sounds digusting! Another reason added to my list for using compressed air to clear water from fresh water lines instead of adding weird chemicals. If you find the lines still clogged with ooze further down the line, I wonder if compressed air wouldn't help force it through?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

The lines seem all clear now. The city water inlet is just past the pump, and all lines (both showers, toilet and sink) flow fine.

How difficult is it to take the pump head apart and looked for a fouled impeller etc?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

The biggist problem will probably be turning your body into a pretzel to access the screws holding the pump in place. If I remember correctly, my pump had four small bolts holding on a faceplate.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #8

looks easier to remove the entire pump and housing then try to get to the top of it. It is mounted against a cabinet wall, no way to get to the top screws.

If I remove the screws holding the pump housing to the floor, there looks like enough tubing that I can tilt it 90 and have easy access to the top to remove the actual impeller housing.

Are the impeller housings sold separate?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
looks easier to remove the entire pump and housing then try to get to the top of it. It is mounted against a cabinet wall, no way to get to the top screws.

If I remove the screws holding the pump housing to the floor, there looks like enough tubing that I can tilt it 90 and have easy access to the top to remove the actual impeller housing.

Are the impeller housings sold separate?
Here's a link to the Sureflo classic pump parts list .http://www.shurflo.com/files/RV-Prod...2-144_444_.pdf

If you have a different model pump just klik on the appropriate pump under the specifications/accessories tab.

...VTX-AL
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
We just picked up a 2010 Flagstaff HW27SC last Thursday. It was used from a dealer. It had been winterized. I read through the rather scant instructions in the owners manual and proceeded as such:
-made sure the water filter was removed
-filled the underfloor water tank (closed petcock as this was left open)
-turned on pump, waited several minutes
-tried water at the tap

Thick pink ooze came out which I assume was the winterizing fluid. However it never flowed water. Just slow flow of ooze. Then it started to bubble and push air. I could hear it pushing air into the underfloor water tank. The site glass on the inlet side of the pump is full of what looks like petroleum jelly residue and no water. It will not pull water from the tank.

I hooked up a hose and the sink/shower and outside shower work fine from city water. However the pump is not pulling water from the tank.

Suggestions?

Thank you.
I think you should look at the valving that allows you to winterize the trailer. My setup has a valve that you turn to pull the "pink oozing stuff" from a hose that is inserted into the jug (pink oozing stuff is antifreeze... I hope). The valve must be turned back to the pre winterization setting. Look for a piece of hose that goes nowhere and has a valve towards the top - about 12" long. My "winterizing kit" is located right beside my water filter, I have a surveyor trailer.

By the way, this is a completely different set of valves that are in addition to the hot water by pass valves. Hope this helps.

happy camping,

Tags
12 Volt