Old 12-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Winterizing while traveling? Yes, No?

Hello friends,
Iím leaving Florida to the Georgia and then Tennessee area for Christmas, and Iím curious to know what preventive measures should I take on winterizing my rig Ďas Iím traveling in ití. Or do I need too?!
I will be staying in a few hotels, and this is my first time taking it into 20 degree weather. As I live in Florida, I never had to winterize. Don't need any plumbing pipes etc to freeze up on me while parked.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Craig
2019 Orion 20cb

motorosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #2

Hello I just got my 2020 RW 2912BS and it was already winterized. I watched a ton of YouTube video which was very helpful to familiarize myself with several ways to do same.

Good Luck,
"Titan"

Onlyonetitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

There have been several threads on this issue.

If you can do without water, the safest way is to winterize and leave it so.

With the minimal water system in my A-frame, I take a little riskier approach. If days are 40s or above, I just use my water system (without issue so far), even with night temps in the 20s. We generally avoid camping in such cold weather, because it's really not that much fun (for us). We like days in 50s - 70s, and nights in 40s or above. Heater is generally set to 60 while camping, water tank is flush against plywood floor.

Being in the West, I always fill the water tank before departing on a trip. Colorado campgrounds (those that stay open) typically shut down water systems Oct-Apr or longer.

When we leave a campground (no matter what time of year), we depressurize the water to avoid water leakage problems with the fold-down spigot in the camper (DW likes to use sink to store items that shouldn't get wet). Upon arrival at home (if a freeze is likely), I empty water tank and open low points. Even though our attached garage has never gone below freezing, I figure doing this avoids "stale" water.

just our camping style
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip (Nov): Chatfield SP (just outside Denver)
next trip (Dec): S Llano R SP (Junction, TX)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, travel