Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
Kayak

2 black water drain valves

I just bought a new Forest River Cascade 17BH tow trailer. The black water tank has 2 drain valves. The standard one on the outside edge and one under the trailer. What is the purpose of the 2nd drain valve under the trailer? Can I leave it open all the time and not have to crawl under the trailer in order to dump?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, it's not April 1st, yet so I know this isn't a joke.

Two drains for the black tank? I've never heard of that and would want to slap any engineer who would design that.

Normally, the gray and black tanks join onto the main drain line...and you have release valves on both of them. Some trailers, also, have another gray tank (kitchen) and a valve for that. (Bigger sized, like 4 inches wide)

Any drains underneath are probably either the fresh water drain line and the two hot/cold line drains...and those are smaller sized. (Like an inch or 3/4 of an inch)

I looked at a walk-around for a 2015 17BH but didn't see any corner drains...can you take a picture?

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Kayak

Sure -I'll take a couple pictures and post them. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Kayak

Attached are 3 pics showing what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 black water valves.1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	72588   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 black water valves.2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	72589   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 black water valves.3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	72590  
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is the valve on the door side of the camper mounted on the discharge of the black tank? I've never seen a set-up like this. Usually the tank discharges would be on the same side of the camper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
Site Team

2 black water drain valves

Was this a new trailer? Those pictures look like some kind of retrofit. From the photos, I'd say it's ok to leave the door side valve open if you add enough water to fill the pipe. If you only add the usual couple of gallons most people do, there won't be any in the tank and it'll all be in that pipe underneath when you leave the valve open. You need to make sure the tank has sufficient water to avoid mounding.

From the photos, it doesn't seem to seem to be too far from the door side. I'd leave it closed personally, but that's based on the assumption I can reach the valve without having to climb under the trailer. If you have to climb under, by all means leave it open then, just be aware of how much water you'll need.

Edit: Alternatively, you could look into replacing it with one of those electric ones and put the remote switch over near the other valve on the driver's side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Kayak

A warranty/service manager from the Forest River plant in OR gave me an answer. Here is what he says:
The valve by the tank is because code reads that a valve has to be within 36” of the tank. Officially it should be closed. Unofficially, if it was mine, I might leave it open, however there is a risk of the pipe plugging up by leaving it open. The possible plug up issue is why code reads the way it does.

Aaron Stanton
Warranty/Service Manager
503-831-5410

So, I guess since I'm still nimble enough to reach it under the door side, I think I will keep it closed to avoid plugging up the pipe. Thanks for all the good posts on this.

Dennis Meeds
Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #8

I had two Black water valves on my first motorhome - a '95 Coachmen I think. I didn't know about the second valve (and the guy giving the walkthrough didn't mention it either).

After our first trip, I went to dump and nothing came out. Couldn't figure it out and never thought to look for another valve to open. I took it back to the dealer thinking something was plugged. They called me the next day and told me about the second valve. I always kept it closed and just pulled them both when dumping.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmeeds View Post
A warranty/service manager from the Forest River plant in OR gave me an answer. Here is what he says:
The valve by the tank is because code reads that a valve has to be within 36 of the tank. Officially it should be closed. Unofficially, if it was mine, I might leave it open, however there is a risk of the pipe plugging up by leaving it open. The possible plug up issue is why code reads the way it does.

Aaron Stanton
Warranty/Service Manager
503-831-5410

So, I guess since I'm still nimble enough to reach it under the door side, I think I will keep it closed to avoid plugging up the pipe. Thanks for all the good posts on this.

Dennis Meeds
Thanks for the great tip!!!

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, drain, water, valve