Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

2008 Rockwood 8314SS Water Heater

Just purchased TT and it has an inside switch for gas operation. It has a on/off rocker switch on the heater itself that is accessed by opening the outside cover. What does this switch do?? Does it turn on electric heater?? My previous camper has both electric and gas switches inside.

This does not pertain to water heater but I noticed a switch over the chair just as you come in the back door. I don't notice anything happening when I turn it on. What does it operate??
Southern Ill. Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct about the hot water heater. The toggle inside the heater is for electric.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Ill. Rockwood
Just purchased TT and it has an inside switch for gas operation. It has a on/off rocker switch on the heater itself that is accessed by opening the outside cover. What does this switch do?? Does it turn on electric heater?? My previous camper has both electric and gas switches inside.

This does not pertain to water heater but I noticed a switch over the chair just as you come in the back door. I don't notice anything happening when I turn it on. What does it operate??
Outside scare light or patio light.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The wall switch may be for one of the overhead lights...just need to figure out which one. As it's at the door it could also be the switch for the patio light.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

gas/elec water heater

Can the switch be moved to interior of camper rather than on the heater itself. Looks to me like that would be more handy to operate on electric, which is what we do in the campground. They furnish the electric in the lot rent.

If not moved, do you have to operate both electric and gas at the same time or can they be operated seperately??

As for the light switch question, I haven't been to the camper to see if it operates the outside light.
Southern Ill. Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes you can put a remote switch inside.
Yes you can operate gas and electric at the same time or one or the other independent.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Ill. Rockwood View Post
Can the switch be moved to interior of camper rather than on the heater itself. Looks to me like that would be more handy to operate on electric, which is what we do in the campground. They furnish the electric in the lot rent.
I'm sure you could and I guess the difficulty depends on your trailer, which I am not familiar with. But its really not too inconvenient as is so I wouldn't do it. I flip on once I get to an electric site and flip off when I leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Ill. Rockwood View Post

If not moved, do you have to operate both electric and gas at the same time or can they be operated seperately??
You can run both simultaneously (ours is a Suburban) to heat faster and also to recover faster if you have a period of heavy use. We've done that occasionally but generally just run on electric once its heated up.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote