Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

2013 26Tbud hot water heater

We recently purchased a new 26tbud, upgrading from a pop-up so needless to say I'm learning how to use everything. Last night I tried the hot water heater but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I turned on the gas, turned on the electrical switch located in the lower left hand corner of the water heater on the outside of the camper and then turned on the switch inside the camper. Since it was the first time it took a few tries until the heater lit but it finally did. The flame ran for about 15-20 and turned off, I tried the hot water and would get lukewarm water right away but not really hot. I left it alone for about an hour and then checked it again, the water was considerably hotter. I left it alone overnight and checked again this morning and there was no hot water. I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correctly, do I have to turn on the switch located in the hot water panel outside of the camper? I appreciate any help anyone can give, thank you.
swaldow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Switch on outside at heater is electric heating element.
Switch inside is for gas heating of the water.

Did you turn bypass valves ?

Also if by pass valves weren't turned then no water got into tank and you most likely burnt up element and and popped the high limit switches from the gas.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yours may look like this.

Summer use
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130430_071622.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	29326

Winter bypass

Name:	ForumRunner_20130430_071637.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	29327
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #4

Thank you very much for the picture, I see what I may have done wrong. I opened the bypass valve that's labeled cold but I didn't notice the one at the top with the red hose nor did I notice the one in the middle. I'll check these when I get home tonight, I hope this it!

Another question, is the heater designed to work on electricity and gas at the same time? If I'm connected to electricity should I just be running it on electricity?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldow View Post
Thank you very much for the picture, I see what I may have done wrong. I opened the bypass valve that's labeled cold but I didn't notice the one at the top with the red hose nor did I notice the one in the middle. I'll check these when I get home tonight, I hope this it!
We've seen several different configurations of the valves and the ones pictured are mine and pretty common.

One way to ALWAYS know your water heater is full and purged of air is to open the pressure relief valve till all air is expelled and water runs freely.
I'll post a pic of valve.

Turbs
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes it can be run on both or one or the other.

Yes run electric when plugged in.

Run both for quicker recovery times during showers.

Gas when u have no shore power.

Gas/electric
Gas
Electric

Turbs
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

Yep, I made sure water came out of the pressure relief valve before turning it on. I'll double check the valves. I really appreciate your help, you made a nervous first time owner a little more at ease!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Black box toward top is labeled reset there's two buttons with rubber caps push those to reset if needed.

Name:	7441_suburban front on closeup.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	29329

Flip lever up to fill tank and purge air.

Name:   10340.jpeg
Views: 652
Size:  13.2 KB
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Yep, I made sure water came out of the pressure relief valve before turning it on. I'll double check the valves. I really appreciate your help, you made a nervous first time owner a little more at ease!
You'll be fine !
Update any findings!

Turbs
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Will do, thank you.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

The bypass valves were the problem, turned them to match the picture you sent and got hot water! Thank you very much for your help, the pictures will be laminated and attached to the access panel.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The bypass valves were the problem, turned them to match the picture you sent and got hot water! Thank you very much for your help, the pictures will be laminated and attached to the access panel.
Glad I could help!

Have a great summer!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #13

Turbs,

I'm still finding my way around my 8315BSS and this thing with heating the water is confusing me too. When I switch the water heater on using the blue switch on the interior control panel the heater always starts off by igniting the gas, even though I'm hooked up to shore power. How can I get it to work only on shore power and not use the propane? At advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Hutch, I sent you a private message that may help you which includes the following link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327989

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Turbs,

I'm still finding my way around my 8315BSS and this thing with heating the water is confusing me too. When I switch the water heater on using the blue switch on the interior control panel the heater always starts off by igniting the gas, even though I'm hooked up to shore power. How can I get it to work only on shore power and not use the propane? At advice would be most welcome. Thanks
Hidden switch in outside panel.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130504_230022.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	29619
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Gas will work regardless of hooked to shore power or not as it functions on 12v.

Electric is 120v only.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #17

Turns and WMtire,

Thanks for the advice. I thought I had to have the DSI switched on inside the trailer as well as the hidden switch with the water heater. I'm going to try just the hidden switch and see if that will electrically heat the water. I'm hoping I have let it burn itself out in the past when I've drained the tank!

I appreciate the rapid response to my question. Hope you both have a great season.

Richard

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote