Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

2nd fresh water tank

I was here a while ago asking about how to reinstall (plumb) the second fresh water tank in my Work and Play Toy Hauler (WPT28DB). The PO had removed it for more storage under the seat. I got it back in and plumbed thanks to info I got from this forum. I am back now looking for info/ideas on how to get water out of the second tank when the first tank is emptied. We just camped for a whole week for the first time since we bought the TH. Once the first tank ran dry I could not get the pump to draw from the second tank. I tried clamping the hose off on the first tank thinking it was sucking air through that tank instead of pulling water out of the full tank. No luck. Does anyone else have this trailer or set up? How is this system supposed to work? Any suggestions of where to look for this info?

Thanks for any help!
scout3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #2

No real world experience, but it would seem to me a three way valve would be needed so the pump doesn't keep sucking air from the empty tank?
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #3

In my toy hauler I have two tanks that are tied together in the middle only draws from one tank. Which is the only tank that has the sensors on it also. As water is used both tanks drop at the same time so the level is the same in both tanks and sensors are accurate. Can you do some thing similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You could have an equalizing line between the two tanks and T the pump suction off of that line. If they're not at the same height, the total capacity will be limited by the lowest height tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #5

12v transfer pump. Empty/use up the main tank as normal, then use the TP to refill it from the 2nd/aux tank (which I assume is smaller than the main FW tank.) That way, you know when you empty the main tank and refill from the aux, you're getting close to being empty. "Reserve" if you will.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
In my toy hauler I have two tanks that are tied together in the middle only draws from one tank. Which is the only tank that has the sensors on it also. As water is used both tanks drop at the same time so the level is the same in both tanks and sensors are accurate. Can you do some thing similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

wyo700 - this sounds like the same layout I have. 2 tanks, same size - 30 gal each, sensors on 1 tank only. Any chance you could get pictures of the plumbing layout?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

anybody have a diagram or picture of the hose routing or know where I might go to find one?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #8

Uhhhh, wellll, it's like this. The PO cut the water line about 12" before the 'T' near the first tank when he took out the second tank. He filled the hose with silicone caulk, put a plastic plug into it, and clamped it. When I reinstalled the tank I cut the water line back until the silicone was gone, spliced a new line in and patted myself on the back for such a good job. After asking for help here, I decided to change all the water lines from both tanks to the water pump. First line I cut was from the 2nd tank right at the 'T'. The line was plugged with more silicone right into the 'T'. How he got the silicone 12" into the hose is beyond me. At any rate, I now have 2 water tanks that work together like they are supposed to. Thanks for trying to help me.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank