Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #21
Phat Phrogs Incognito...
Both our previous 2 RV's were 6 gallon and we've always just used the "Navy Shower" approach. Back to back showers for 2 people are possible. About 15 - 20 minute recovery time and the next 2 people could go.

Now we have a 12 gallon and we are able to take a "Navy Officer's Shower". LOL!

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
Most campgrounds have showers if they want to take longer the kids can use them.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500HD Cummins
2013 Cedar Creek Silverback 33rl
kc8lvy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
The DW uses the camper shower. Myself, DS & DD go to the shower house. Much quicker this way. I like the cool walk back after being in a hot shower during early and late season trips. Don't forget your hoodie.
2012 F150 4x4 5.0
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26bh
God Bless America
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
Most campgrounds have showers if they want to take longer the kids can use them.
A lot of campgrounds around here use wells for if the sites are full and every tent goblin is 10min steam bathing the WHOLE park pressure will drop after a while....has happened to us many many I make my kids cut it short...wether its camp bath or camper bath...respect the resources. ..hopefully they will eventually think about these things at thinking. .haha

sent from fat fingers with no regard to grammer via a space dish thingy
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #25
Mod free 5er
Something else to consider is changing out the water heater's 2 thermostats (1-120v & 1-12V) normally 120 with 140 thermostats. It takes less hot water.

We just did the change and really like it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #26
You won't use much LP for the heater, so fire it up.
One advantage of the Oxygenics shower head is that you can turn the on-off valve down low and still get a good functional water spray out of it. One disadvantage of that same valve is that it flows too much water in the OFF position.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #27
As long as I am on a full hookup site, shower time has not had to be 5 min each. While I dont have a large family, can easily be 4 adults on the trip. As long as you run both electric and propane with maybe 5-10 minutes between showers, I have never gotten a complaint about running our of hot water. That was with everyone averaging a 10-15 min max shower but not much turning off the shower head either.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #28
Cyber Phrenologist
The real secret to economy for propane water heaters:

Turn it OFF when you go to bed and when you leave the camper. It only takes a little while for it to warm up again even without using the electric elements.

In camper showers are for hygine. In the bathhouse showers are for going "AHHHHH." In 6 years of camping I have never seen a bathhouse run out of hot water. And I realize there is probably some luck involved in that...

That "thumb switch" on your shower head is there to extend your time in the shower. Get wet, turn off the water with the switch, lather up, turn the water back on, it will be pretty close to the temperature it was before, no fiddling with faucets. Great for ladies shampooing large amounts of hair.

I have once in a while run out of hot water while showering, but I have to really abuse my privileges to do it.
Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Great for ladies shampooing large amounts of hair.
Hey now, I resemble that remark. I have a lovely mane that women everywhere drool over my lush thick hair. They don't call me Flabio for nuthin!

(And no way are camper showers only for hygiene and not "AHHHHH". I spend too much time in my camper not to relax while I shower. )
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #30
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I love our girard tankless the wife and kids or myself can take as long as we want, the only draw back is when we are not full hookup the 100gal gray tank can fill up pretty fast in 2-3 days
THis is what I want!!!!! I told my husband that would be perfect. Did you install it? & how much do they run? We have full hookups.

Moonlighting is offline   Reply With Quote

show, shower, water heater