Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

5 minute shower, Really?????

So we have this new camper & I just can't believe we can only get a 5 minute shower. How do people do this when you have a camper that sleeps 6??? & with girls???

I am learning so bare with me - the water is heated by the electric & propane I am learning & I read if we use electric alone it takes longer to heat? How long? Is it worth using the expensive propane?

& I saw a on & off switch in the water heater panel & it is off. Does that mean I have been using propane only?

We have only been out four times & I am trying very hard to understand it all.

2014 376BHOK

Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighting View Post
So we have this new camper & I just can't believe we can only get a 5 minute shower. How do people do this when you have a camper that sleeps 6??? & with girls???
Tell them 5 min or a bucket and a sponge.

Quote:
I am learning so bare with me - the water is heated by the electric & propane I am learning & I read if we use electric alone it takes longer to heat? How long? Is it worth using the expensive propane?
How much is it worth to you to keep everyone camp happy?

Quote:
& I saw a on & off switch in the water heater panel & it is off. Does that mean I have been using propane only?
Yes.
The switch needs to be on for the electric side to work.

Quote:
Lol, beats me by three.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Team

See if this helps in the understanding of how the Suburban water heater works (if equiipped)

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Also, it helps to conserve water, and not fill up your grey water tanks so fast...if you take what we call navy showers. You turn on the water, and wet yourself. Turn off the water at the shower wand. Soap, shampoo, etc.......then turn the shower wand back on to rinse off. This way you're not wasting hot water, or filling up your limited grey water tanks needlessly either.

Just remember to turn the water valves off at the end (and not just the shower wand),

Purchasing an Oxygenics showerhead might also help.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighting View Post

2014 376BHOK
Were a Family of 7 and we've army showered since 2005 3 women and 4 guys.
You just learn.
Cant a few of you take showers in the mornings and a few at night?

Yes use gas and electric at the same time for faster recovery times.

If the switch is off outside , you in fact are only using propane.
The is the electric portion of your hw heater.

Keep in mind you only have a 6 or 10 gallon wh not a 30 or more like at home.

Get wet shut shower off.
Soap up and shampoo hair.
Rinse.
Done.

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

We take a longer shower, but I use the shower head shut off. So far we have found it is worth it to use the electric and propane at the same time, then leave it on electric when we're away. With that crew an instant water heater may be a better choice.

At least with short showers the grey tank doesn't fill too quickly.

Also, worse comes to worse, use a campground with good public showers, especially for getting sand out of hair.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

5 Min showers where standard in the Military..................

Good luck if you really have that many girls, you better have an outlet for the hair dryers......... LOL
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

Even though you didn't ask, I think this is a good time to tell you some important information concerning the electric portion of your water heater. The switch you mentioned does indeed turn the electric heating element on and off. But, be sure there is water in the tank before turning it on. If you turn it on, or apply power to the camper with that switch in the on position, it will burn up the heating element faster than you can say "Oh cr*p!" No exageration.
Yes, it takes quite a bit longer for the electric element to heat up the water by itself. It can take up to half an hour to heat a full tank that way. The best method is to use the propane for the initial heating, then let the electric maintain the heat. This will keep the propane from cycling on and off when you aren't actually using the hot water, yet provides instant access to hot water.
If you look at the shower head, you'll notice a small button. This is so the user can turn the water off without having to readjust the knobs. They should wet down, soap up, and rinse off.
There's no way around it, girls are going to use more water than boys (assuming you can even get the boys into the shower!), but there are many ways to conserve. Remember, you're camping; the shower should be more of a rinsing off than deep cleaning.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

All good comments so far but one thing that is worth mentioning is the turning on of the valves. Some people (my wife at one time) would crank the cold water on all the way first then try to adjust to her liking with the hot. This wastes a lot of hot water that is trying to warm excessive cold water. What we do is turn on enough hot water for adequate flow and temp control mixed with cold water.
Great luck to you with all them girls, one is enough for me!
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #9

you are camping, skip a shower, use bowl and water, or my prefered, lots of cologne!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
you are camping, skip a shower, use bowl and water, or my prefered, lots of cologne!
I've used this method many times.

At minimum wash the "essentials"

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor

Tags
show, shower, water heater