Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #41
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Google slippery soap....wet bar soap is what I find!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #42
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I wouldn't use the OP's method because it would almost certainly get some of the unflushed black tank's contents transferred to the grey tank.
When I read the original post this is the first thing I thought of. I was told to never have the black and grey valves open at the same time for this very reason.

I am a big fan of the ice + soap method. After using our new camper for 6 months we developed a bad smell problem in the black tank. Using this method (and a clear 45 degree elbow) twice, we took care of the black tank issue. Liquid dishwasher soap works too because most include water softener.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #43
Left Coast

Dawn seems to be very popular on the forum....fixes most ills..
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Google slippery soap....wet bar soap is what I find!
Right On Bob !!!
Or some stupid game ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #45

Y'all please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all soap was slippery when wet.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Y'all please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all soap was slippery when wet.
Some soaps or additives can soften the water like calgon.

Again, lets stay on topic.
Thanks

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #47
Left Coast

I guess I'm lucky 'cause out west we've got 'soft water'......only hard when you screw up div'n.... mineral deposits, like iron, calseum,(spell'n) would probably benefit the most, I'd think
Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #48

Wow, never did I think I would get this many comments on this subject. My main reason was to get this subject discussed and to inform all the "Newbies" out there that are just getting into this "RV hobby" of ours. Their only introduction to dumping black water would have been that scene from the Robin Williams movie "RV".

To answer one of the comments regarding cross contamination of a gray tank, that will not occur if one follows the steps completely. The black tank would be empty when the gray tank is opened. The gray tank is closed before the black tank is drained.

And, I also use the "geo" method occasionally. But I have never heard of the "Slippery Soap" method, a new one on me.

Another point is that I am from California. With our severe drought conditions in the Southwest, water usage is discouraged. Therefore, the use of gray water to flush the black tank is preferred over other "high water" usage methods.

I have been RV'ing since 1975, so I am not a beginner at this, but I don't call myself an "expert" either. Thinking back to my early years, the draining of tanks was not really discussed much, it seemed like a taboo subject. I learned how to do it the hard way, the "Robin Williams" way. Hopefully, this thread will help newbies with the various optional methods they can use to successfully dump their tanks.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #49
Left Coast

Wayne...you hit it right on the head....If comments aren't made, then for those that havn't been there/ done that will have a rude experience....more conversation I feel goes a long ways to help'n folks out....Not taboo any more!
Old 12-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #50

I also use Calgon in the liquid and powdered form. I think that the reason it's hard to find in some areas is because the water in the area around whatever store sells it is soft therefore it wouldn't sell very fast so they don't stock it. JMHO
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
Wow, never did I think I would get this many comments on this subject. My main reason was to get this subject discussed and to inform all the "Newbies" out there that are just getting into this "RV hobby" of ours. Their only introduction to dumping black water would have been that scene from the Robin Williams movie "RV".

...Snip...

Thinking back to my early years, the draining of tanks was not really discussed much, it seemed like a taboo subject. I learned how to do it the hard way, the "Robin Williams" way. Hopefully, this thread will help newbies with the various optional methods they can use to successfully dump their tanks.

When we were newbies 5 yrs ago, we were petrified that scene in RV was us. Fortunately, I had found a couple of camping forums first and was able to educate myself on many tips and tricks not otherwise easily found. Yes threads like these are a wonderful help to newbies so thanks for starting it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank