Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Accessing Black Tank

Seems when I was winterizing a minor problem(hopefully minor) developed.
I was thoroughly cleaning the black tank by running a hose thru the toilet, fill the tank maybe 1/2, open the valve, fill the tank again, open the valve again etc. This was not a quick procedure, you wouldn't believe how long this took untill the wads seemed to stop.

I will note that sometime during this process when I was running water thru the Black tank a severe blockage had occured. I had the water running in thru the toilet with the valve open, nothing was coming out. I kept the water running running thinking the head pressure would eventually force this blockage out. Took a bit but this did happen, about 30-45 seconds. Not sure if this may have done something to cause my problem.

The problem is with the valve closed and the Black tank is approximately 1/2 or 2/3 full, water will start to flow out the drain connection. The flow is approximatley 1/2". its not seeping by this is a good leak.

I tried the following a few times with same results. With the tank empty, I close the valve and fill with water through the toilet, initially all is well but as I mentioned when the black tank is about 1\2 full or so water starts flowing out by the sani dump drain.

Just wondering if anyone may have any ideas. My thought is I may have something in the valve itself but I don't understand why this leak does not happen untill its half full as opposed to leaking by immediately. What is holding the water untill half full, makes no sense to me, well as I wright this anyway.
Maybe the positioniong of the valve may explain this, which I don't know how it is sitting in there.

In case need be other then removing the screws from the panel underneath the trailer what would be involved to getting at the Black tank and/or the other tanks. Is there insultaion or .............what ever I should know.

I have a 2103 Crusader 320 RLT.

Thanks
John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

With the tank as empty as possible I would get a flashlight and look at the inside of the valve.
While doing the flushing it is vey possible that you dislodged some construction debris which may cause the valve to not close 100%.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
While doing the flushing it is vey possible that you dislodged some construction debris which may cause the valve to not close 100%.
Construction debris or toilet paper, whatever thats what my thought is, something is wedged in the valve but why does it not leak untill the tank half full?..........
Would the valve be turned, like possibly installed upside down, then the gate would lower when opening, just a thought.

Anyway I have all hermit season (winter) to think about this.

I looked at the panelling underneath, I'm hoping the 24 or so screws to remove the panel is the hard part.

Keep your thoughts coming please, any advice, ideas will be helpfull.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Too bad winter is there already, hoping to have a month before Ontario gets hit!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank