Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Air Compressor for winterizing

Need some help. I am looking for an air compressor to blow out the water lines in my 5'r. About the only thing I will use it for is for the water lines and pumping up tires. I imagine I will set the pump to between 40-50 PSI but have no idea how long I need air flow to pump the lines. I also have no idea how long a given compress will deliver air flow at the above PSI. Everything is spec'd in SCFM. Don't want to spend a fortune, and was wondering if this Home Depot compressor will do the job. Hope the link works. It is the Husky 20 gallon (Black) for $199.00

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-...specifications

Thanks

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

That Home Depot compressor will work very well for what you want to do with it.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Always Learning

Should be way more than you need. Are you buying it just for this job? Or do you have other needs around the garage for something that large?

I use a simple 3 gallon pancake compressor from HD for $100. When I head on the road for longer trips- I throw it into the storage compartment of my camper and take it with me (thinking I'll be able to top up air in the tires at the campground, if ever there is a need).

Porter-Cable 3.5-Gal. 135 psi Pancake Compressor-PCFP02003 at The Home Depot
Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

Compressor

I have no other use than blowing out the water lines and pumping up tires. Do you use this 3.5 gallon for blowing out your lines? If yes at what pressure and how long does it take?

Thanks much, this is great input.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Always Learning

If I recall correctly, we did it twice last year (once in November and once in January after a Christmas trip to Florida). It was a 2 person job and we used either phones or walkie-talkies. I worked the compressor and she opened every faucet. I think, all told, we likely had 30-45 minutes doing it. BUT- 1) we're generally slow at stuff. and 2) our camper is pretty big.

The compressor ran quite a bit during it.

I think I kept the pressure around 30-40psi, but I don't remember exactly. It'll be something low like that again, I'm sure.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Should be way more than you need. Are you buying it just for this job? Or do you have other needs around the garage for something that large?

I use a simple 3 gallon pancake compressor from HD for $100. When I head on the road for longer trips- I throw it into the storage compartment of my camper and take it with me (thinking I'll be able to top up air in the tires at the campground, if ever there is a need).

Porter-Cable 3.5-Gal. 135 psi Pancake Compressor-PCFP02003 at The Home Depot
Agree ependydad the 20 gal is way too much for the job described. Harbor Frt has the 3 gal pancake compressor for $59.95 which would be plenty big enough. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #7

I use one from Harbor Freight....cost me 39 bucks and works great.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

First time to winterize and have question regarding blowing out water lines. How does one get water out of the pump? Does the air flow through the pump when you connect to the city water inlet?
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I just use a bicycle pump to blow the lines of my camper. I don't like the looks of the condensate that drains out of my compressor, and don't want that in my camper water lines.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
First time to winterize and have question regarding blowing out water lines. How does one get water out of the pump? Does the air flow through the pump when you connect to the city water inlet?
If you have the Antifreeze loop you can stick the air hose to that and it will blow out the pump.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #11

What I love about this forum is everyone does things a bit different and you choose the best recommendation that works for you. I blew out the lines on my RVs for years until one year when a bit of water was left in my pump. And the next spring, I had a leak because of a crack on one side of that pump. After that, I got one of these winterizing kits from CW and pump RV antifreeze throughout. Yeah, it's a bit more effort and costs $15-20 for antifreeze, but there are never any guesses about water being left somewhere. Just another option for you.
Pump Converter Winterizer Kit - Camco 36543 - Winterizing - Camping World
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
If I recall correctly, we did it twice last year (once in November and once in January after a Christmas trip to Florida). It was a 2 person job and we used either phones or walkie-talkies. I worked the compressor and she opened every faucet. I think, all told, we likely had 30-45 minutes doing it. BUT- 1) we're generally slow at stuff. and 2) our camper is pretty big.

The compressor ran quite a bit during it.

I think I kept the pressure around 30-40psi, but I don't remember exactly. It'll be something low like that again, I'm sure.

To make it a one person job, I made one of these so I could control the air anyway I needed to.

As well I crack open the low point drain to keep pressure to a minimum while I walk around to all the faucets and drain them. Takes about 30 min to do the whole trailer and it is big with 2 baths. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	41699  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I just use a bicycle pump to blow the lines of my camper. I don't like the looks of the condensate that drains out of my compressor, and don't want that in my camper water lines.
Drain the compressor before you start. Should have a dryer/separator on it anyway.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
To make it a one person job, I made one of these so I could control the air anyway I needed to.

As well I crack open the low point drain to keep pressure to a minimum while I walk around to all the faucets and drain them. Takes about 30 min to do the whole trailer and it is big with 2 baths. Hope this helps.
I'm not very savvy- mind sharing what it is and how it works?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Connect the hose and crack the gate valve a little to furnish a constant pressure. Doesn't require pressing a trigger on a regular air nozzle.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Drain the compressor before you start. Should have a dryer/separator on it anyway.
OC, I drain the compressor regularly. But there has to be some of the black moisture stuff floating around in the air tank.....and that is what I don't want in my camper lines.

Before using the bike pump, I clean all of the cobwebs and sting bugs out of the air intake before using it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Connect the hose and crack the gate valve a little to furnish a constant pressure. Doesn't require pressing a trigger on a regular air nozzle.
Ok, I see it now. The difference is that I'm using a blow-out plug:

I think it requires me to hold it/pushing it against the plug to keep the air moving from the compressor to the camper.

It looks like there is a different connection to the camper on the on that Lynkage posted...

(Or, I'm simply doing it wrong. COULD BE!)
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
OC, I drain the compressor regularly. But there has to be some of the black moisture stuff floating around in the air tank.....and that is what I don't want in my camper lines.

Before using the bike pump, I clean all of the cobwebs and sting bugs out of the air intake before using it.
A dryer/separator will catch all that, at least mine does. When I drain the 60 gal tank, I get a white fluid which is oil/water mixture. Nothing black tho'. Get nothing but air out of the 6 drop lines.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ok, I see it now. The difference is that I'm using a blow-out plug:

I think it requires me to hold it/pushing it against the plug to keep the air moving from the compressor to the camper.

It looks like there is a different connection to the camper on the on that Lynkage posted...

(Or, I'm simply doing it wrong. COULD BE!)
With what you have, you have no choice but to hold the air chuck on it. The other uses quick disconnects.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
It is a brass ball valve adapted to air fittings and a garden hose adaptor for the city water inlet.
I have a female hose connector on the end of the rubber part (red) so I can blow out garden hose as well and the last piece is male to male hose adaptor.

I also have the male hose fitting on my sprinkler system and blow it out too, but I do have a large (7.5 hp 80 gal) compressor

I just screw it on attach it to the trailer city water conection crack open the low point drain then open the ball valve and start walking around to all of my water outlets. I also put a hand towel over the faucets to keep splatter to a minimum.